David Rivers, Shavon Shields, Nick Fuller, and Terran Pettiway

Shields just seems to be a very mature freshman.  He held us together early in the 2nd half.  Too bad Gallegos had such an off night.

So, I just noticed we have scored 70 points in just 3 games this year.  Not sure we're going to get another one this year.  The last time we had just 3 - 70 point games in a season?  1958.

Shields just seems to be a very mature freshman.  He held us together early in the 2nd half.  Too bad Gallegos had such an off night.

So, I just noticed we have scored 70 points in just 3 games this year.  Not sure we're going to get another one this year.  The last time we had just 3 - 70 point games in a season?  1958.

We do play Iowa twice yet so there is a chance

I think Rivers has a high ceiling and I don't think he's anywhere near his full potential.  He's improved a lot just since the season began but he'll have strong stretches and then disappear for awhile.  Shields, too, though.  I mean he had a great second half, but he was completely invisible on the offensive end in the first half.  Rivers and Shields both have things to work on.  I'd say Rivers is more athletic and Shields is more intelligent as a player, seeing mismatches and exploiting them.  They both could improve their shooting a bit and Rivers needs to add the dribble drive to his arsenal.  But you're right, jones.  Add Fuller and Petteway to the group and I think that is a strong mix -- assuming everything we've been told about Petteway is true.

Rivers, Shields, and Gallegos are the 3 in the starting lineup that I'm glad are coming back and mixing in with the new players.  The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades....... (80's song for any of you young kids)

Cory Hart!

Nope, that's "Sunglasses at Night."

Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades is Timbuk 3 ...

Rivers, Shields, and Gallegos are the 3 in the starting lineup that I'm glad are coming back and mixing in with the new players.  The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades....... (80's song for any of you young kids)

Rivers and sheilds yes, Gallegos not so much....just hope Biggs and Webster can bring it.

I said this yesterday, but Gallegos and Rivers will be much better players with a point guard that can create shots for others. Hopefully Biggs or Webster can do that because Parker has not been able to so far.

I agree Jones, I've been really impressed with Rivers development this year. His shot looks good and he works his ass off on defense! He gave up height and lots of pounds tonight but battled hard all night and held his own. Most improved player this season IMHO.

I noticed this lately too. He helps a lot on the cutters and when we went zone against Indiana he was in the middle talking, directing traffic. I'd be ok with him staying around and not transfering as some on this board claim he would (to them maybe should?) do.

Rivers and sheilds yes, Gallegos not so much....just hope Biggs and Webster can bring it.

I said this yesterday, but Gallegos and Rivers will be much better players with a point guard that can create shots for others. Hopefully Biggs or Webster can do that because Parker has not been able to so far.

I think Gallegos is much better with a set shot than he is off a screen or dribble.  I think he tends to lean in whatever direction he is going in and that leads to being a little off most of the time.  i think if we can get more offense around him the opportunity for more set shots will arise for him and he will hit at a better clip than he is currently.

I agree Jones, I've been really impressed with Rivers development this year. His shot looks good and he works his ass off on defense! He gave up height and lots of pounds tonight but battled hard all night and held his own. Most improved player this season IMHO.

I noticed this lately too. He helps a lot on the cutters and when we went zone against Indiana he was in the middle talking, directing traffic. I'd be ok with him staying around and not transfering as some on this board claim he would (to them maybe should?) do.

It would be unbelievably stupid for the coaches to let Rivers leave, assuming there is any merit to that rumor.  It would also be stupid on Rivers' part.  He's an off-season of being a vocal leader away from being a cornerstone of this team.  It's really up to him on how good he wants to be.  

Parker is probably the player that would most likely leave. He will have to compete with webster, biggs, hawkins, and gallegos for minutes next year.

You could argue that Vucetic might be most likely to leave, but we have no big men that it probably wouldn't make sense for him to leave. He also has a higher upside than Parker in my opinion.

Players leave for many different reasons, so I have to think there is a decent chance of 1 player leaving.

You can't replace experience. Benny has been through the Big 10 grind, and he will know what it'll take for him to get better this off-season. He's a tenacious guy, and if he can improve his outside shot (or his ability to take it to the hoop),  he has a very good chance to be a solid role player for us. 

Does he want to be a role player though? Those are the types of things we just don't know. I can't see Benny being more than a role player. I don't feel like he does anything extremely well, and I think being 5'9 will limit his upside. He's already peaked physically where guys like Shields, Rivers, and Vucetic have room to get bigger. I could be wrong, but this is just how I see it.

The problem with keeping Parker and Vucetic past next year is that it limits us to taking only one player in next year's recruiting class, unless we bank one or both of our remaining scholarships from this year. I don't believe it would be very wise only to take one player on scholarship next year during this critical rebuilding phase.

Parker is 3 inches shorter than the second-shortest player in the B1G. He plays good defense, but his game is limited. He doesn't have much of a dribble-drive game, and until recently has been extremely hesitant to shoot, even when wide open. 

When I look at the skill sets of players like Webster, Biggs and Hawkins, I just don't see where a guy like Benny Parker gets any meaningful playing time whatsoever next year -- I really don't. If he does, then something is wrong with Webster, Biggs and Hawkins.

Sergej Vucetic, unless he makes huge strides next year, just doesn't seem like a player Miles has much confidence in, and really doesn't seem to fit the type of dynamic, athletic big man Miles prefers. They were desperate for big bodies, so they took him, but he's put on three pounds this season just from the splinters lodged in his ass. It's hard to project much playing time for him next year if someone like Matthew Atewe comes on board.

The fact that this year's team is desperate for big men and Vooch still isn't playing is not a good sign, and it's more than just a strength and weight issue. Vlade Divac, the template for a player like Vucetic, played NBA ball at 243 lbs. That's only 7 lbs. heavier than Vooch. 

I had a light work day today, so I went through every B1G team and looked at the scholarship players they have coming back for next year. Nebraska is under-scholarshipped, undersized and talent deficient compared to virtually every program in the Conference. Even a program like Penn State, which doesn't have much talent on the roster, at least has 13 on scholarship and a few athletic big men going into next year.

This program is in desperate need of talented players with size who can play at a high level. I'm just afraid that Parker and Vooch will quickly become very costly dead weight for a program that is starved for talent and athletic bigs in particular.

You can't replace experience. Benny has been through the Big 10 grind, and he will know what it'll take for him to get better this off-season. He's a tenacious guy, and if he can improve his outside shot (or his ability to take it to the hoop),  he has a very good chance to be a solid role player for us. 

Does he want to be a role player though? Those are the types of things we just don't know. I can't see Benny being more than a role player. I don't feel like he does anything extremely well, and I think being 5'9 will limit his upside. He's already peaked physically where guys like Shields, Rivers, and Vucetic have room to get bigger. I could be wrong, but this is just how I see it.

So, he has hairy legs, is that what you're saying?