Just saying...

Huskerpapa

Let me say this.  cwg isn't kidding.  What a fun evening.  Some highlights....

Kent was the emcee and did a great job.  Highlights showed on the video screens primarily of Lue's basketball career.  Dinner was served - Prime rib, lasagna, potatoes, green beans, salad, etc...delicious meal. 

Hoppen was awarded the citizenship award, namesake of Bus Whitehead.  Bus' son spoke first, then passed it on to Dave.  One of the funniest lines of the speech went something like this:  "As was mentioned, I'm the only Husker to score 2000 points in my career.  I'd like to thank you, Tyronn, for going pro. I still keep this honor because of you. So thank you."  

Osborne was introduced for his award - he told great stories, namely that he spoke with Strick and Lue when they were in college often saying they would make great wide receivers.  He is still a phenomenal speaker.  Very, very good speech.

Lue was very gracious and humble.  I was young when he was at NU but remember watching all the games, and I had always thought he was somewhat cocky and arrogant.   He opened by first thanking God, then his mother and grandmother, and delivered great words.  Maybe he was a little cocky back then.  But he has grown, to be sure.  Awesome guy.

Miles was Miles.  Talked about GATA, and how he loved Nebraska and knows it won't happen overnight, but promised the crowd this program will make everyone proud.  

The guys I went with stuck around afterward, and I got to speak with Lue and Miles for the first time.  Both obviously great character guys...Miles spoke 1 on 1 with just me, and an alumn for 3-5 minutes.  As if I wasn't convinced he was the guy for the job before, I definitely am now.   Talked with Lue about the Lakers, his cousin Cookie (now living in Sarasota)...

I had an absolute blast.  For those of you that didn't make it tonight, I strongly urge you to go in the future. 

Oh and Kent is feeling an upset tomorrow.  With the way the night went, I'm about to predict the upset as well. 

http://www.huskers.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&&PALBID=649650

Some good pictures also on huskers.com.  Good pic of Norm in there but I won't blow his cover and give any guidance. 

Fun event as stated.  Inspiring as well.  Hoppen's speech just seemed really heartfelt.  Great Husker loyalty from him.  T.O. funny.  Miles energetic and funny.  Dissed T.O. a little, and especially Kent.  Something about the coaches giving Kent the business makes it funny.  And perhaps one of the coolest things was a video tribute from former assistant Jimmy Williams.  Jimmy hit it out of the freaking park. 

Brian Banks wore a very sweet tux.

The film clips reminded me how good Lue was. 

Great night for Husker basketball fans.

unl mentioned some of the funny lines of the night.  Looking at the photos reminded me of another.  You'll notice in some of the pictures where Miles is at the podium, he's wearing a jacket.  And in others, not.

So, he's giving the closing remarks and it sounds like he's wrapped up and concluded and someone, Kent maybe?, stands up to I guess end the night and dismiss everyone and Miles cuts him off and says, "What are you doing?  I'm not done.  I'm just getting started.  Chris told me I could go all night.  In fact, I'm feeling a little warm."  And he takes off his jacket and throws it on the back table and just keeps going like he never stopped.  The energy that guy possesses is contagious, I'm tellin' ya.

OK, so Kent is introducing Tom Osborne to speak and he makes the remark that he was able to broadcast the games of two of the three honorees that night, Lue and Hoppen, but that he didn't get to broadcast any Tom's games back when he played.  And then Kent gets in a little dig at TO by saying, "They probably didn't have radio back then, huh?"

Without skipping a beat, TO takes the microphone and said, "No, we used telegraph."

Then he started talking about the things that made him qualified as a football coach to receive a basketball honor.  And he mentioned how he had "told both Tyron Lue and Erick Strickland that they had no future in basketball but would make good receivers."  

He also talked about how he had played against Bus Whitehead and was known as a defensive player and held Bus to 35 points.

Lots of great lines during the night.  Hoppen, Lue, Osborne all delivered some great lines, but the night belonged to Tim Miles.  Made you really feel the program is in good hands.

I loved it when Lue accused TO of having a secret underground training facility for the football team...he looked at TO and TO just shook his head in the affirmative.  Funny.

On a different note, Mr. Boehm promised that there would be 7000 parking stalls within a half-hour of the new arena...huh!  There was a gasp and Randy York attempted to correct him.  Boehm attempted to correct the statement, but said the same thing...huh???

Also funny was Mr. Strickland's attempt at math.  Thankfully he was a better athlete

I also got the opportunity to visit with Coach Miles.  He was gracious, and he talked for minutes and he made us feel like we knew him his entire life.

I was one pumped up dude.

Another great line from Miles.  He was talking about the importance of keeping the former players as part of the program, keeping in contact, bringing them back for things, etc.  So, he was talking about having a "legends night" and how they did it at CSU.  And he talked about the colors that they used at CSU, which were their original colors.  And just like at Nebraska where we call our colors "scarlet and cream" they don't call theirs "orange and green" but -- and I'm not kidding about this -- "pumpkin and alfalfa." 

And he was talking about how we would spend the money and do it right, etc. etc.

And then he said, "If we can do it in Ft. Collins with pumpkin and alfalfa, we sure as hell can do it here."