PERSPECTIVE

Huskerpapa

This staff is special. Now that this story is out, I can share mine. It amazes me how hard coaches work. And then to balance the usual grind when life gets in the way, it's truly amazing and shows the strength, dedication, and perseverance these guys have. I work in cardiac services at the facility where Coach Miles' father had his bypass surgery done. The day of the Illinois game Coach was in the house and it must've been a rough day following his fathers surgery that the article eluded to. He probably spent a majority of his night and day at the hospital with his dad, then had to get to Devaney, review film, go over game plan, meet with coaches, attend walk through and shoot around, do the pre game show, coach the game that night, do post game, etc. Coach sorta had a lot going on. So rewind a few hours and you can imagine my surprise when I found myself behind Coach Miles in the hospital cafeterias lunch line. I had no knowledge at the time as to why he was there. Visiting kids, visiting a family member, just wanted to eat hospital food...I had no idea. I decided it would be an inappropriate place to address him, again, I didn't know why he was there. He purchased 2 scotch-a-roos, turned and introduced himself to me, then asked where the plates were. I said something like, 'good luck tonight Coach.' He said thanks, then told me that his dad just had bypass surgery, and I said something like, 'good luck to your father, too, Coach.' I can't imagine dealing with family situations like Miles and Harriman have going on, yet carrying on going a thousand miles an hour like normal. We have tough minded coaches with great personality. These guys will get us that tourney win. I'm confident.