Colorado State

49r

I've been watching some of the Colorado State games this season with obvious curiosity, and I gotta say I am more and more impressed with what I see each time I watch them play.

They play with a certain amount of poise, a sort of deliberate style, that I really find enjoyable.  I realize that a lot of what they're doing now is Eustachy's, but they are Miles' guys out there, and I'll be happy to keep one eye on these guys for the rest of the season.

I also find it curious that they are a top 25 team now with major contributions coming from Nebraskans Eikmeier and Smith (and Iverson, I mean it's Yankton for pete's sake).  Tells me that the notion that there is no hoops talent in Nebraska is more of an excuse than anything.

So to sum up, here is one Husker fan who says "Go Rams", and take down that Mountain West crown!

Also, if one could make a roster of current Nebraska kids playing significant Division I ball right now (and I'll include Colton Iverson for argument's sake here), just off the top of my head you'd have:

CSU:

Colton Iverson

Wes Eikmeier

Greg Smith

(Jesse Carr is out for the season with an ACL)

Minnesota:

Elliot Eliason

Iowa:

Mike Gesell

I'd be willing to field a B1G team with those guys as my core, or at least significant contributors.  Imagine if you could put them on our bench right now...

I've been watching some of the Colorado State games this season with obvious curiosity, and I gotta say I am more and more impressed with what I see each time I watch them play.

They play with a certain amount of poise, a sort of deliberate style, that I really find enjoyable.  I realize that a lot of what they're doing now is Eustachy's, but they are Miles' guys out there, and I'll be happy to keep one eye on these guys for the rest of the season.

I also find it curious that they are a top 25 team now with major contributions coming from Nebraskans Eikmeier and Smith (and Iverson, I mean it's Yankton for pete's sake).  Tells me that the notion that there is no hoops talent in Nebraska is more of an excuse than anything.

So to sum up, here is one Husker fan who says "Go Rams", and take down that Mountain West crown!

I'm with you on all of that, 49r.  A lot of past Husker coaches have been quick to see the flaws in Nebraska kids and don't recruit them.  And then bring in a stiff from some fancy place who has way more flaws.  Greg Smith would really help us now.  He was a project, but now would be serviceable in the Big 10.  Losing Gesell, Eikmeier, Eliason, Young,and Iverson, and not recruiting the likes of Smith brothers, Carr,etc. has hurt the program.  Would be good for CSU to get a tourney win this year.

Gov, you must not have watched the Class B title game his senior year.  Here was a 6'7" kid with really pretty good skills.  I couldn't tell on his athleticism, but he was nailing pull-up mid-range jumpers off the dribble.  Had good technique and he's long and strong. 

Had this convo with HB after the Class D title game a few years back with Eickmeier.  We both looked at that game and said, well, the kid is skinny, but he has D1 skills.  Don't tell me we don't have room on the squad for a guy like him.  Of course, Eikmeier was a Collier whiff (if you can believe it) because Wes was committed to ISU before Doc was hired.

But there are guys on that top 25 team who are from in-state whom we didn't recruit.

Can't count the Iverson kid because, in fairness, we really did try to get him and he just chose Tubby and Minnie over us.

In regards to the Smith kid.  I was talking with one of his dad's friends.  Smith (the player) did not like Coach Miles at all.  He says the person that you see in the media is not the real Tim Miles.  He said that Miles is all in it for himself and a completely opposite person than what he portrays in the media. 

With that said, I think Miles is a great coach and great all around guy. 

Hard to say who is right.  Just thought I would share that.  Disect it if you wish.

In regards to the Smith kid.  I was talking with one of his dad's friends.  Smith (the player) did not like Coach Miles at all.  He says the person that you see in the media is not the real Tim Miles.  He said that Miles is all in it for himself and a completely opposite person than what he portrays in the media. 

Hard to say who is right.  Just thought I would share that.  Disect it if you wish.

A recent article on Smith hinted as much, GATA.  You could tell there had been some rough times between Miles and Smith. 

However, I have heard from several people who have known Miles along the way (someone who knew him well in Marshall MN, and some people in Ft. Collins), who think Miles is a good, genuine guy.  Smith has been with him a long time, and Jayden Olson followed him from CSU as well.  I would question them doing that if Miles was "all in it for himself".  But time will tell; I've been fooled before. 

Gov, you must not have watched the Class B title game his senior year.  Here was a 6'7" kid with really pretty good skills.  I couldn't tell on his athleticism, but he was nailing pull-up mid-range jumpers off the dribble.  Had good technique and he's long and strong. 

Had this convo with HB after the Class D title game a few years back with Eickmeier.  We both looked at that game and said, well, the kid is skinny, but he has D1 skills.  Don't tell me we don't have room on the squad for a guy like him.  Of course, Eikmeier was a Collier whiff (if you can believe it) because Wes was committed to ISU before Doc was hired.

But there are guys on that top 25 team who are from in-state whom we didn't recruit.

That was one of the many games I saw Smith play over the years.  Smith always came off as unmotivated and uncoachable.  I also.  There was a lot of questions about his attitude.  That may be the reason no big time schools offered.

I'll give you Eickmeier.  I don't know the situation around him and Collier.  I thought we offered him but he chose Iowa State because of the job secuirty of Collier, but I could be wrong.

I don't think you can call Dwight Smith and Jesse Carr as misses for the Huskers. Dwight is a 6'2 PF who would get distroyed at the Big 12/10 level.  Carr was only got to CSU because Miles was recruting him at NDSU before he left.

Thaaaaat's a pretty small sample size.  If a guy coaches anywhere long enough, you're going to be able to find former players who didn't like him.  Even Tom Osborne has his detractors among former players.  I remember talking to one such former player after we lost to Georgia Tech in the '91 Citrus Bowl who said we should just clean house and get rid of all the coaches.  I ain't kiddin'.  This was a guy who played for Osborne in the late 80s saying that.

I think Dwight was 6'4" but I agree with your point.  Clearly undersized for a PF.  Interesting that, for as much as Greg Smith didn't like Coach Miles, his brother followed him to CSU.  Just thought I'd point that out.  Not that I doubt what #GATA was saying, but it's interesting that his own younger brother evidently didn't put much stock into it.

You should be watching Colorado State to get a feel for what to expect at Nebraska in the next few years. Smart, unselfish players who prioritize making winning plays over making spectacular plays. Miles and staff will recruit bigger and more athletic versions of guys like Wes Eikmeier and Greg Smith.

There's a kid at CSU named Pierce Hornung who is 6'5" and 210 lbs. And one of the top rebounders in the country. He is a Colorado kid who was asked this morning on a local show about a quote by ESPN's Andy Katz that CSU doesn't play wow basketball. Hornung responded "I don't know what wow basketball is. I only know what winning basketball is."

Thats what its all about with Miles and staff.

I plan to be watching as much Rammie hoops during the stretch run as I can.  I really like the makeup of this team and the way the play.  Makes me excited for our future.

I've been kind of keeping an eye on CSU and CU hoops this year (CSU for obvious reasons, and CU because of their overhyped, obnoxious and delusional fan base thinks they're some kind of elite hoops powerhouse now that they made a miraculous run to win the PAC tourney last year).  And the thing I've noticed about both teams is how consistent CSU is while CU is totally schizo - basically they rely on Chen being on from outside, otherwise they stand no chance.  See: Kansas, Utah, Tx Southern for examples...but I digress.

Anyway, I was also thinking that since the 'Skers won't be making the postseason this year, I might try to have CSU game threads here for their NCAA tourney games (and possibly the MW tournament games as well).  Anybody else down?