02/13/2013 - At Indiana Report Card

hhcdave

*** NOTE *** In the eight years of HHC, there has never been an "officiating" category until tonight. I am not one to blame officials and as many on here can remember, have gotten on other posters for "calling out" refs. I hate whining about them. I call it how it is though and tonight is a clear exception.

OFFICIATING: F-

Before I even delve into this one, I want to make it clear that the officiating tonight was absolutely embarassing - the worst its been all season.

Hopefully someone on here has the game on DVR and they can post the clip I'm about to talk about on You Tube for everyone to see.

As Tom Creen is giving hand shakes, he reaches out and gives a "low five" to a referee that is running by.

Yes, Creen high-fived the officials. And really, why wouldn't he? They were firmly on his team tonight.

It was pretty clear that beloved Indiana wasn't going to have anything happen to it. The B1G was going to protect them at any expense - had to make sure they won this game by well over 20 to "make it look good."

This is Big 12 crap and complete garbage - Terry Wymer, D.J. Carstensen and Jim Schipper are worthless, biased officials (at least on this night) who should be looked at. Take your whistle and shove it.

OFFENSE: C-

Nebraska, for its standards, and considering the competition, was only slightly below average. Though again, when you have three blind mice taking all of your players of note out of the game with foul trouble, and allowing Indiana to hand check like nobody's business, body us on shots, etc. how can you expect better than what we did?

Nebraska finished 36% from the field and the no doubt Player of the Game is Dylan Talley, who put in a team (and game) high 16 points.

I also think David Rivers played immensely well in this, logging 36 minutes and while only going 6/4, I was impressed with little things he did.

Nebraska just couldn't get any kind of shot or offense going with Indiana's pressure and big men never being able to be a part of this game.

DEFENSE: B+

Again, considering Nebraska had no low post players available for half of the contest, they had little choice but to go to a zone, and Indiana lit them up for 50% from downtown (8-16) and thanks to Nebraska breathing, got the foul line 18 more times than NU (29 to 11).

Nebraska played "A" level "D" in the first half and "C" level in the second.

As you can see, I feel strongly that this is a tough game to "grade" because of the bush league, whack ass officiating.

REBOUNDING: B

See above. Hardly any big guys in the game. Getting out boarded by twelve (36 to 24) wasn't too bad, all things considered.

BALL HANDLING: D

Nebraska was getting mugged all night, yes, and were no doubt worn out from the press and little depth due to foul trouble.

Still, it was a pretty poor effort, with NU turning the ball over eleven times in the first half and for the night, fifteen.

I do want to point out that Benny Parker has been playing better lately, including tonight. Again, like Rivers, he doesn't have a sexy line (4 points, 1 assist, 1 turnover) but I thought there were some positive things hapening. 

COACHING: A-

I love how Nebraska came out and competed. They looked loose, confident and ready. It was nice seeing Shavon Shields rise up and nail a jumper. Talley was a stud, especially early. Rivers looked good. Nebraska really looked the part of good in the first ten minutes.

Then reality set in, with the much better team playing much better AND whack ass mickey mouse officiating pushing them to a blow out.

Small but I said to myself at under 4 timeout in first, "you kept us in the game Tim by stealing a few minutes out of Ubel. Get him out now." Soon after, he picked up his third which changed the game since Miles kept him on the bench to start the second (down 9, a bad move, too).

Also, not impressed with Creen allowing his team to run a possession (though they threw the ball out of bounds) with under :35 left. Why the hell would you not run the clock out up almost 30? That was weak. I hope Miles and staff remembers that.

OVERALL GRADE: B

I didn't think Nebraska played bad tonight. There were quite a few very encouraging things that I saw. I like our head man an awful lot. I like how his team competed and played. I thought our guys did a very nice job.

Do I think we win the game with fair officiating? Of course not. Indiana is the far superior team and wins this game in Bloomington 19 out of 20 times (or 20 out of 20 with these blowhards blowing the whistle).

Still, I think Nebraska keeps this game within 15 if they get some hand checks called on Indiana, some bodies on Indiana called during their shots and if Indiana didn't get a foul every time somebody breathed.

There were some God awful offensive foul calls in this game, and all went against Nebraska.

Now, a bold prediction. We beat Michigan State Saturday. Book it.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: DYLAN TALLEY

2012-2013 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

RAY GALLEGOS - 9

DYLAN TALLEY - 6

BRANDON UBEL - 5

SHAVON SHIELDS - 3

DAVID RIVERS - 3

JORDAN TYRANCE - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

While I agree with most of your assessment of the officiating, it would not have made a difference in the ballgame winner,,,(except in Nevada!).

AA has been punished all year for being big and strong...since he does not feigning a severe blow when he is touched. (He is not any kind of actor!)...he gets no calls.

However, 2 of his first 3 fouls were actually fouls tonight...which is closer to reality than most games have been...4 minutes of action 4 AA, what more could we expect?

Interesting to note TM did not play him in the 2nd half while he had eligibility. 

Thanks Dave.   I didn't get to see the game and only got to hear a few minutes on the radio.  Reading your report actually leaves me encouraged. We all figured there'd be some outcomes like this.   And, I think we'd all agree we probably thought there would have been more by now.  I just hope the Huskers can keep fighting and pull out a few more ( an upset in the conf tourney would be nice too ) and finish the season with their heads held high.

The officiating was no worse or better than any Big 10 game this season.  They just don't know how to call a fast paced game.  Were they really trying to protect Indiana by putting Zeller in foul trouble?  Nebraska just doesn't play very smart.  They earned almost every foul by getting beat on defense.  Then on offense Nebraska settled for a lot of jump shots like they have all year.

Nebraska had low post players...Miles decided not to use them.  That is on coaching not the refs.

Why wouldn't Creen allow walk-ons and other players that hardly see the court play ball?  I'm sure Nebraska's guys wanted another offensive possession.

Beating Michigan State would be the biggest upset in years.  2004-05 -- #4 Oklahoma State

Looks like the officials tried to even up the numbers of fouls by whistling a couple of pointless calls on Indiana in the final minute.  Of course, by that point, Ubel was out and Rivers, Shields, Talley and Almedia were already in significant foul trouble.  Final tally was 22 calls against us and only 12 against them.  But take away those two "make up" calls in the last minute and it's really 22-10 difference in calls.

No the refs didn't kill us or cause us to miss shots, but they did call a game where we had little chance of beating a much better team.  Not loosing any sleep over it, but... not really happy either.

The one that summed up the game for me was when Dylan was boxing out Zeller and the big guy just grabs his shoulder and throws him aside, gets the rebound and the put back.

They show him laughing and Dylan standing there asking how there was no call.

I understand physical, but that was me pushing my sons around when they were 7 years old.

I only caught the end of the first half and all the second half and could tell right away that there was to be no upset.

When we were still close a couple of things happened that made it so we would have to rely on the jump shot and not the drive.

One being a couple of blocked shots and the other being the hand check to muscle us away from driving.

Oh well some day that we will be us getting the "call"

I call it the Greg Maddux call.  Remember because he was so good at hitting the corners of the plate, he got calls even when it wasn't close because the umps "knew" that he would be on the corner even when he wasn't.

It is just what has become of all the officiating in all sports. 

(Sets down from soap box, and walks off down the street whistling.) ;)

Oh my god, I can't believe we are talking about officiating in a blowout. When has Nebraska received fouls this year? The type of team they are doesn't allow them to get fouled. There have been many times this year where there is a huge foul difference. It sounds like people are complaining that we lost to a far superior #1 team that most likely will be in the final four, and we have 7 schlorship players and a walkon that played 15 minutes because of fouls.

Well, coug, did it ever occur to you that part of the reason it became a blowout was because they'd whistled all of our bigs into foul trouble?  We might not win otherwise but we might keep it close(r ).  Ubel and Almeida both played 9 fewer minutes than their conference averages.  That's 18 minutes of bigs that we didn't have.  I think that might have made a difference when IU has such an advantage on points in the paint.  And, obviously, a guy playing with 4 fouls is going to play a little more tentatively than if he just has 2.  So, the loss of minutes tells only part of the story.

Well, coug, did it ever occur to you that part of the reason it became a blowout was because they'd whistled all of our bigs into foul trouble?  We might not win otherwise but we might keep it close(r ).  Ubel and Almeida both played 9 fewer minutes than their conference averages.  That's 18 minutes of bigs that we didn't have.  I think that might have made a difference when IU has such an advantage on points in the paint.  And, obviously, a guy playing with 4 fouls is going to play a little more tentatively than if he just has 2.  So, the loss of minutes tells only part of the story.

My point is that it's been a trend all year long, I don't think it has to do with the officals but more of the style of play

If I could weigh in on the officiating. 

Whether they sucked or not, I don't know.  There's always questionable calls in any game.  I've seen Nebraska on the short end of calls for 40 years.  Home and away.  It's probably just the way a fan perceives it...

As far as the calls deliberately going Indiana's way?  Let's say that's true. The fix was in.  If I'm Tom Crean, I'm not high fiving refs, I'm mad as hell because my Number 1 team in the nation needed help to look good against lowly Nebraska, and there's no way I'm happy to be a part of that scam.

Sorry.  I don't see a shooter in the grassy knoll on this one.

Oh well.  Let's kick some Sparty rear end Saturday!

If I could weigh in on the officiating. 

Whether they sucked or not, I don't know.  There's always questionable calls in any game.  I've seen Nebraska on the short end of calls for 40 years.  Home and away.  It's probably just the way a fan perceives it...

As far as the calls deliberately going Indiana's way?  Let's say that's true. The fix was in.  If I'm Tom Crean, I'm not high fiving refs, I'm mad as hell because my Number 1 team in the nation needed help to look good against lowly Nebraska, and there's no way I'm happy to be a part of that scam.

Sorry.  I don't see a shooter in the grassy knoll on this one.

Oh well.  Let's kick some Sparty rear end Saturday!

You'd have to ask their girlfriends.

Oh, wait, that's your line.  ;)