McKewon offers his thoughts on CU v NU

Caught this in his chat this morning. It was an Interesting question/response. It's hard to argue with anything he says.

Ronnie from Columbus I know media members typically avoid comparing the Creighton and Nebraska basketball programs. BUT,if the two programs were securities on the NYSE, given their present value andtheir potential upside, which stock would you choose?

Sam McKewon:
Great question. I cover neither team so I'll proffer an answer.

Nebraska.

Here's why:

1. Nebraska's stock is much cheaper, in this
scenario, than Creighton's, with much greater potential to rise in share price.
For Creighton's price to rise, it has to get to the Sweet 16 this year, and
while I thought that likely two months ago, I'm not sure I do now.

The new arena and practice facility provides a 3-5 year bump for the program in
terms of recruiting. Creighton's facility bounce is somewhat limited from hereon
out.

3. The Big Ten provides Nebraska with more built-in opportunities
to win games that assist in landing a NCAA Tournament berth. Creighton will get
a similar bounce if it lands in the new Catholic league.

4. Tim Miles
appears to have assembled a more aggressive and active recruiting staff than has
Greg McDermott. Nebraska finally seems to have found a coach who "wants it"
badly and has the persona/edge to make it happen while not alienating Nebraska
fans.

5. Creighton seems comfortable with its share price. It seems
comfortable pretending the Missouri Valley is a snake pit. It seems comfortable
with its sellouts in a snazzy arena (which, it should be noted, have not
produced better teams than Dana's teams at the Civic), comfortable with its
scheduling philosophy, comfortable with its fan base. The fan base is seemingly
comfortable, too, considering they show up for every game and only occasionally
ramp up the noise.

You know who got uncomfortable with the ceiling at
long last? Dana Altman. He tried to upgrade recruiting, and found he was
pounding a square peg into a round hole, and found that scheduling was tough,
and found that taking a step back (or several steps back) to take several steps
forward is not a concept that keeps fans and eyeballs.

Right now,
Creighton is absolutely the better program. Will be next year, too. But if
you're asking share price and stock markets? I'll take Nebraska.

Caught this in his chat this morning. It was an Interesting question/response. It's hard to argue with anything he says.

Ronnie from Columbus :  I know media members typically avoid comparing the Creighton and Nebraska basketball programs. BUT,if the two programs were securities on the NYSE, given their present value andtheir potential upside, which stock would you choose?

Sam McKewon:

Great question. I cover neither team so I'll proffer an answer.

Nebraska.

Here's why:

1. Nebraska's stock is much cheaper, in this

scenario, than Creighton's, with much greater potential to rise in share price.

For Creighton's price to rise, it has to get to the Sweet 16 this year, and

while I thought that likely two months ago, I'm not sure I do now.

The new arena and practice facility provides a 3-5 year bump for the program in

terms of recruiting. Creighton's facility bounce is somewhat limited from hereon

out.

3. The Big Ten provides Nebraska with more built-in opportunities

to win games that assist in landing a NCAA Tournament berth. Creighton will get

a similar bounce if it lands in the new Catholic league.

4. Tim Miles

appears to have assembled a more aggressive and active recruiting staff than has

Greg McDermott. Nebraska finally seems to have found a coach who "wants it"

badly and has the persona/edge to make it happen while not alienating Nebraska

fans.

ramp up the noise.

You know who got uncomfortable with the ceiling at

long last? Dana Altman. He tried to upgrade recruiting, and found he was

pounding a square peg into a round hole, and found that scheduling was tough,

and found that taking a step back (or several steps back) to take several steps

forward is not a concept that keeps fans and eyeballs.

Right now,

Creighton is absolutely the better program. Will be next year, too. But if

you're asking share price and stock markets? I'll take Nebraska.

Can you provide a link to where you got that? I'd love to read the Creighton fan response to that!!

Can you provide a link to where you got that? I'd love to read the Creighton fan response to that!!

This is from a weekly chat Sam McKewon of the Omaha WH does...here is the link for the hour long typed Q&A that only take 10 minutes to read post live..

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130213/HUSKERS/130219819/1001#husker-talk-live-replay

There wasn't a Creighton response because it was a Husker chat (oh wait) and it was the last question that he answered.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I felt Doc "wanted it" too, he just didn't have the ability to get the job done.  Other than that I agreed with everything he wrote.

For whatever reason, Doc just couldn't get the recruits in here.  Part of that might have been talent identification (Alex Chapman and Sheldon Jeter say hello) and part of it was that we just couldn't close on the better players.  I think one of his last recruiting classes, we were actually listed -- and got visits -- with some decent players.  Four star guys, even.  One of them was down to us and Cincinatti and Florida State, IIRC, and I think he went with FSU.  But we were in there, we just didn't get him.

I think lack of talent was our biggest shortcoming under Doc and the longer it took for him to show substantial progress, the less likely it was that we were ever going to show improvements in recruiting.  I think a coach has a somewhat limited window to show that he's making progress before the recruits stop listening and I fear Doc had hit that point.

ramp up the noise.

I loved that little jab.

Ronnie from Columbus asked Steve Pivovar of the OWH on his Bluejay chat (yes, I admit it, I like to check on the Jays when they are stuggling).  Pivovar took the Jays, on the basis that only one of the 2 programs has proven it over the long haul. 

I like McKewon's answer better.

Ronnie from Columbus asked Steve Pivovar of the OWH on his Bluejay chat (yes, I admit it, I like to check on the Jays when they are stuggling).  Pivovar took the Jays, on the basis that only one of the 2 programs has proven it over the long haul. 

I like McKewon's answer better.

What did he say they've proven? And over what long haul?

I think it is pretty easy to defend that Creighton has been more successful in basketball over the long term than Nebraska. But I don't see much good on the horizon for Creighton. This was supposed to be their year, and now it is a dumpster fire. If you look at the younger players on the bench and those McDermott has signed, I just see a more robust dumpster fire for Creighton in the future.

ramp up the noise.

I loved that little jab.

sounds like Husker football

I think it is pretty easy to defend that Creighton has been more successful in basketball over the long term than Nebraska. But I don't see much good on the horizon for Creighton. This was supposed to be their year, and now it is a dumpster fire. If you look at the younger players on the bench and those McDermott has signed, I just see a more robust dumpster fire for Creighton in the future.

I do not know what long term means to you, but I will assume it does not include the total series (since NU holds a 25-21 advantage in this guy's view of the long term, I'm old!)...

While I will agree Creighton has been somewhat more successful over the last decade, even this view is not nearly as convincing of dominance as some jay fans would like you to believe.The Huskers have played the jays 11 times in the last 10 years. 6 in Omaha and 5 in Lincoln. The jays won 2 in Lincoln and NU won 1 in Omaha.

This year we will most likely have 8 or 9 losses to top 20 teams...the jays will have none (in the regular season) since they do not play that caliber of opponent. This gives the jays an opportunity to build their win totals. Therefore W/L records over time are nearly meaningless. (apples vs. oranges...whatever)  One more win away from home is not that convincing over a decade.

I may be an exception here, since I root for the jays when they do not play NU. However, the aura/attitude of the fringe of jay fans gives some a greatly exaggerated and overblown view of a vast superiority in the programs...Perhaps this is a result of surviving years in a snake pit!

I would be thrilled if they gave NU Greg and Doug...and I give the jays my respect...but I will not give them the distinction of being the "more successful program over the long term" even when accounting for the jays having won games in the dance.

This year, no doubt the jays are better...but this will change again.

I do not know what long term means to you, but I will assume it does not include the total series (since NU holds a 25-21 advantage in this guy's view of the long term, I'm old!)...

While I will agree Creighton has been somewhat more successful over the last decade, even this view is not nearly as convincing of dominance as some jay fans would like you to believe.The Huskers have played the jays 11 times in the last 10 years. 6 in Omaha and 5 in Lincoln. The jays won 2 in Lincoln and NU won 1 in Omaha.

This year we will most likely have 8 or 9 losses to top 20 teams...the jays will have none (in the regular season) since they do not play that caliber of opponent. This gives the jays an opportunity to build their win totals. Therefore W/L records over time are nearly meaningless. (apples vs. oranges...whatever)  One more win away from home is not that convincing over a decade.

I may be an exception here, since I root for the jays when they do not play NU. However, the aura/attitude of the fringe of jay fans gives some a greatly exaggerated and overblown view of a vast superiority in the programs...Perhaps this is a result of surviving years in a snake pit!

I would be thrilled if they gave NU Greg and Doug...and I give the jays my respect...but I will not give them the distinction of being the "more successful program over the long term" even when accounting for the jays having won games in the dance.

You've convinced me Trickey. Hard to argue with facts! Being a Husker fan, I prefer your view to mine!

Yeah, and soon.  These two programs are trending ... in opposite directions.  And we're the ones on the uptick.

I THINK NU is on a better trajectory, but we've heard this story more than once.  First it was you just watch!  When that Rodney Buford leaves, they'll go in the tank in a hurry!  Then it was Kyle Korver.  Then Ryan Sears.  Now it's McDermott.  They're still competitive and going to NCAA tourneys most years.  They've stayed rather steady over the last ten to 15 years.  Until they actually go in the tank, I find it difficult to predict they actually will.

Apparently, these must be some somber times in Creightonville, as our two blue clad pot stirrers haven't chimed in on this topic.

Speaking of pot stirrers, whatever happened to the JFK avatar guy/brad/kidney? 

Hey, we got over 7 hours til tip off, need something to talk about..... ;)

Wasn't he ban from here ?

Apparently, these must be some somber times in Creightonville, as our two blue clad pot stirrers haven't chimed in on this topic.

Speaking of pot stirrers, whatever happened to the JFK avatar guy/brad/kidney? 

Hey, we got over 7 hours til tip off, need something to talk about..... ;)

Wasn't he ban from here ?

I guess I need to pay closer attention to what goes on around here.....