Probably no alcohol in the PBA

hhcmatt

Sam Mckewon drew the short straw and took notes on the new AD on Sports Nightly.

“We’ve had a great history and tradition relative to the things that we do in and around our games,” Eichorst said. “And I think that those things are working well. I don’t think our histories and traditions lends ourselves to heading in that direction. And I’d like to reinforce that those sort of conversations aren’t happening over in the Osborne building. But I understand the relevance and intrigue.” - Eichorst

If he's calling it the "Osborne building", then that's probably a giant indicator that alcohol sales won't happen there.

While you can probably never say never, you can rest easy for the time being if you're used to giving our neighbors to the east crap for the same thing.

Sam Mckewon drew the short straw and took notes on the new AD on Sports Nightly.

“We’ve had a great history and tradition relative to the things that we do in and around our games,” Eichorst said. “And I think that those things are working well. I don’t think our histories and traditions lends ourselves to heading in that direction. And I’d like to reinforce that those sort of conversations aren’t happening over in the Osborne building. But I understand the relevance and intrigue.” - Eichorst[/size]

If he's calling it the "Osborne building", then that's probably a giant indicator that alcohol sales won't happen there.

While you can probably never say never, you can rest easy for the time being if you're used to giving our neighbors to the east crap for the same thing.

He's definitely talking about the athletic department offices.

“We’ve had a great history and tradition relative to the things that we do in and around our games,” Eichorst said. “And I think that those things are working well. I don’t think our histories and traditions lends ourselves to heading in that direction. And I’d like to reinforce that those sort of conversations aren’t happening over in the Osborne building. But I understand the relevance and intrigue.” - Eichorst[/size]

He's definitely talking about the athletic department offices.

OK, so that settles it then.  Definitely no booze sales in the athletic department offices.

It'll happen eventually, I think, but we might have to wait a while.  It's not as simple as Eichorst just saying go for it.  Lots more people have to give their approval before it happens.  It'll take a while before the culture shift happens and will probably need a bit of a culture shift in the board of regents.  If you want to make it happen faster, convince them it's important the next time they come up for election.

So as of now alcohol will be sold during concerts but not at university events, correct? So if I'm right about this, and I think I am, because you can't have a concert without beer, then alcohol stations will be in the building. If they're already in the building then do the smart things and just open them up and sell during basketball games. It makes zero sense not to. If they're worried about people getting crazy then sell during the first half only. Usually the $9 price alone is enough to prevent people from going absolutely nuts. You're not going to prevent the college kids from attending the games drunk so let's allow those over 21 to enjoy the games responsibly. You're already going to have more people getting to the games buzzed in the new arena just because of everything going on in the area and the increased access to dinner and a beer or five before the games.

I know what his statement says, but I still think its something that will be discussed in the future. He has only been on the job for a month and a half. Give it some time.

He seems like a guy who doesn't just jump into things.

If it does happen, I would assume it would be when he feels the time is right.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what is said on radio shows.  TO was very adamant about not selling booze at UNL events, so Eichorst going on a radio show just over a month into his tenure and going completely against what TO did could lead to some bad feelings, regardless of the popularity of the decision to sell booze.  We still have 7 months until the arena and 9 until the first Nebraska basketball game, let's see how this plays out over the summer.  Even if booze isn't sold in year 1, I'd venture to guess it will be in year 2 or 3.

I can't believe this is as much of a bone of contention as it is.

We sound like a bunch of obnoxious drunks, complaining that we can't go a couple hours without a pop.

not really, I think we just realize that selling booze at our games will help attendance and keep otherwise uninterested people, interested