02/09/2013 - Penn State Report Card

hhcdave

OFFENSE: B+

Nebraska struggled shooting the basketball from the field (33%) but luckily, made it to the free throw line a staggering 41 times (and converted on 32, for 78%).

For as much as we bicker about Nebraska not scoring enough points to win AND Nebraska not getting to the foul line enough to win, there isn't too much we can say negatively about the offense tonight.

The only thing I'll say is something I've brought up a few times this year, and that's that I don't like how when Nebraska gets a double digit lead, they start sitting on the ball with seven minutes left.

I understand that the name of the game is to win, and margin is secondary, especially this season. I understand style points don't matter this season either.

However, I feel like this has helped Nebraska nearly lose a couple of games earlier this season and does not give them practice in truly "putting games away," which they will need to learn beginning next season.

Thus, the only negative I can really say tonight, outside of shooting the basketball better from the floor, is I don't like how early we sit on it.

Three or four minutes left? No complaints if you're up by 10 or more. But not with six, seven, eight minutes left.

By the way, a nice job of Nebraska attacking the zone and getting good shots.

DEFENSE: B

Nebraska did hold a horendous Penn State offensive bunch to 53 points and 29% from the field. Those numbers will get you a win pretty much anytime, anyplace.

However, the Huskers allowed the Nittany Lions to attempt 32 free throws of their own, which is obviously too high.

Of course, some of that is because of the way the game was called, and the fact that Nebraska was getting so many calls, so you can't really be upset - just being nitpicky here.

P.S. - a topic I'd like to see responses on below - who is worse? Penn State, Mississippi State or TCU?

REBOUNDING: C

Rebounding was solid - didn't hurt Nebraska, didn't really help.

In fact, I never really even thought about rebounding the entire game, outside of a couple of free throws PSU shot in the first half that Nebraska first allowed an offensive rebound on, and then a tap out, which fired Miles up enough to make a sub.

NU's leading rebounder is also our Player of the Game, as Brandon Ubel pulled down nine boards to go along with 14 points. Had he converted on his normal free throw percentage, he also would have had 17 points instead of 14.

Impressive to see Ubel go 3-4 from the floor and still end up with 14!

BALL HANDLING: A

Nebraska handled Penn State's Donald Duck press without any issues, and only turned the ball over eight times.

And probably, six of those were in the first ten minutes of the game. It seemed like NU was nearly flawless in the second half.

How about David Rivers? 5 assists, 1 turnover!

COACHING: B+

Miles had his team ready to play and they looked ready for anything and everything they were thrown.

As mentioned above, the main thing (and only thing) I dislike about Miles as a floor coach is his conservative approach offensively which is in my opinion, happening way too early in basketball games. Feel free to debate below.

OVERALL GRADE: B+

Very nice win for Nebraska at home.

Will this be our last win of the season?

I predict one more "W"- over Iowa at home.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: BRANDON UBEL

2012-2013 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

RAY GALLEGOS - 9

DYLAN TALLEY - 5

BRANDON UBEL - 5

SHAVON SHIELDS - 3

DAVID RIVERS - 3

JORDAN TYRANCE - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

With 15 minutes left in the second half, Penn State had still only made five (5) shots.  Unbelievable really.  I am not sure whether it was our defense or Penn State's sad excuse for an offense. 

I think the scorecard and player of the game choice is spot on. 

They made 2 FG's in about a 20 minute span, starting with 13 minutes left in the 1st half.  That is NOT good!!

i've seen penn state more than a few times this year and they really have been pretty close in a few games, but im positive this was their worst game of the year. even reading some of their boards, they are seriously debating if this year is their worst team in the modern era and its hard to argue.

I haven't seen the other two teams Dave mentioned, but sight unseen I will vote Penn State the worst. And I sort of understand coach Chambers "tough guy" fight-to-the end mentality. But, really, did he have to press and foul until the very last second? Maybe he just wanted a free runza.

I don't know if you heard in the post game, but Miles was asked about Runzas and he said he was gonna blame Ubel for failing to hit 70 and missing out on the runzas. He said if Ubel woulda hit 3 more foul shots...

I haven't seen the other two teams Dave mentioned, but sight unseen I will vote Penn State the worst. And I sort of understand coach Chambers "tough guy" fight-to-the end mentality. But, really, did he have to press and foul until the very last second? Maybe he just wanted a free runza.

Until TCU managed to knock off KU, I probably would have said them.  KU is on a three game losing streak and now gets KSU at home.