With a win tonight, Rowlett High is 23-3 and Nathan Hawkins ... nice line.

Norm Peterson

The BIG DUDE in that highlight clip is a 2014 4-star center named Elbert Robinson.  He's 6'10" and 260-280, depending on which site you go by.  According to Rivals, he has no offers yet but is looking at KU, OU, aTm, T Tech, Geo. Mason and La Tech.  That's a big dude.  As long as we're offering 2015 point guards from Texas, why not a 2014 center?

It's always intriguing when the "highlights" of a 6'10" 260-280 pound 4-star are a set shot and being blown-by on defense. Not doubting the star ranking . . . but still . . .

The BIG DUDE in that highlight clip is a 2014 4-star center named Elbert Robinson.  He's 6'10" and 260-280, depending on which site you go by.  According to Rivals, he has no offers yet but is looking at KU, OU, aTm, T Tech, Geo. Mason and La Tech.  That's a big dude.  As long as we're offering 2015 point guards from Texas, why not a 2014 center?

It's always intriguing when the "highlights" of a 6'10" 260-280 pound 4-star are a set shot and being blown-by on defense. Not doubting the star ranking . . . but still . . .

Of course, these weren't really "highlights" of the big guy.  Just some clips for the nightly sports.  The "being blown-by on defense" part really goes on the wing defender who got back-doored.  Interesting way to characterize as the bid dude's bad.  But I thought the big dude did an "impressive" job of establishing rebounding position and, in one shot, scored more points than I've seen another big we're following score in two entire halves of hoops.  ;)

Of course, these weren't really "highlights" of the big guy.  Just some clips for the nightly sports.  The "being blown-by on defense" part really goes on the wing defender who got back-doored.  Interesting way to characterize as the bid dude's bad.  But I thought the big dude did an "impressive" job of establishing rebounding position and, in one shot, scored more points than I've seen another big we're following score in two entire halves of hoops.  ;)

Not going there . . . though sorely tempted. :)

According to 24/7 sports, Elbert has offers from KU, Texas, Baylor, Florida and Colorado.

He's 4-star for each of the services: ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 24/7.  He's listed anywhere from 6'9" to 6'11" and 260-280#.

Just sayin'.

But still . . . A set shot from inside the key??!! Just saying . . .

Wow!! It's obvious why this guy has four stars:

1. Lept high to edge the smaller opponent for the opening tip

2. Fills up the middle well in a zone defense but isn't exactly "quick" with lateral movement

3. Is slow getting up and down the court but can push smaller people around when he gets set

4. Is pretty good at hitting bunnies . . . until he gets tired

5. One day, with development, he might be referred to as a rich man's Andre Almeida.

watched the first half.  Looks like Hawkins was up against the big guy the entire time.  Tough to really get a good feel for how he translates to the college level as 2-3 when he is mostly playing the 4-5 against guys with 5-6 inches on him.  He does well getting to the rim though.  He has a somewhat slow release on his shot but thats something that can be improved.

As for the big fella, like Swan said he's very much like Andre.  He uses his body to just push people around and when they get close and can block their shot without really getting off the ground much like AA does.

According to 24/7 sports, Elbert has offers from KU, Texas, Baylor, Florida and Colorado.

He's 4-star for each of the services: ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 24/7.  He's listed anywhere from 6'9" to 6'11" and 260-280#.

Just sayin'.

I could swear I got the following off of this site. We are recruiting the big man (Elbert Robinson) from Garland LV.

Elbert Robinson

Power forward

Garland, Texas

Lakeview Centennial

AAU: LBA Seawolves

6'10", 280 lbs.

Huge body, but soft. Has made a lot of strides in past season and a half. Didn't even play varsity his freshman year, but has developed into a rare big with soft hands, great balance, and good feet. He's a project at this point (as most bigs are), and he plays for a low-profile outfit in the summers, which bodes well for us. He's still carrying a ton of "baby fat" and is soft, but that seems to be changing some. I know for a fact he's giving the Huskers serious consideration and would fit well in the B1G.

Just sayin'.

I could swear I got the following off of this site. We are recruiting the big man (Elbert Robinson) from Garland LV.

Elbert Robinson

Power forward

Garland, Texas

Lakeview Centennial

AAU: LBA Seawolves

6'10", 280 lbs.

Huge body, but soft. Has made a lot of strides in past season and a half. Didn't even play varsity his freshman year, but has developed into a rare big with soft hands, great balance, and good feet. He's a project at this point (as most bigs are), and he plays for a low-profile outfit in the summers, which bodes well for us. He's still carrying a ton of "baby fat" and is soft, but that seems to be changing some. I know for a fact he's giving the Huskers serious consideration and would fit well in the B1G.

Sounds good.  I was wondering how we'd ever find a replacement for Andre.

Niiiice, 49r. 

I agree, Hooper, that he has nice, soft hands.  That's good.  Rest of him is soft, too.  If he developed a bit of a motor, he would be a good prospect because weight in a big man isn't always a bad thing.  If he's big enough to carry it and it doesn't slow him down (he has the strength) then weight can be a very good thing.  Think how tough it was for teams to keep Aleks Maric out of the paint.

I'd love to give him Atewe's motor and athleticism.

I watched the video of Nathans games with the idea to compare he and Jeffrey Carroll. Carroll, the Okie State recruit, is very athletic with great ups, finishes well around the basket and has an effective jump shot from 15' in. Still, I would take Nathan Hawkins any day of the week. Carroll rarely distributes the ball, almost always choosing to shoot, has only moderate handles and tends to play a lot of ole defense. In addition, his 3 ball shot is not a pretty thing to watch. Hawkins, on the other hand, plays the point on Rowlette's press break and has great handles. He is very effective distributing the ball and makes all the other players on the floor better. While his shot from 16' in is very effective and fluid, his 3 ball looks very good too, even though he only shoots at a 35% rate for the season. I think, given a different role on the floor that % will rise.  Hawkins possesses very good athleticism and plays effective defense. Given a choice of the two, I would take Nathan Hawkins in a heart beat. I believe he will be a more effective and versatile D1 player than Jeffrey Carroll.

I watched that Rowlette-Lakeview game and I agree with a lot of what you say, M&R.  I don't understand Hawkins' 3-pt percentage because his shot looks very nice.  He has a better stroke than what his percentage would suggest and I suspect that when he gets to college and spends extra time working on it, he's going to continue to improve.  Someone said he had a slow release and I disagree.  I think he has just a pretty nice looking jumper and it's effective as well.  Carrol's, on the other hand, is ugly.  I saw one where he shot a 3 from midway between the corner and the wing and barely drew backboard, let alone rim.  Carrol appears to be a better athlete but in terms of skills, we got the better kid.

I watched that Rowlette-Lakeview game and I agree with a lot of what you say, M&R.  I don't understand Hawkins' 3-pt percentage because his shot looks very nice.  He has a better stroke than what his percentage would suggest and I suspect that when he gets to college and spends extra time working on it, he's going to continue to improve.  Someone said he had a slow release and I disagree.  I think he has just a pretty nice looking jumper and it's effective as well.  Carrol's, on the other hand, is ugly.  I saw one where he shot a 3 from midway between the corner and the wing and barely drew backboard, let alone rim.  Carrol appears to be a better athlete but in terms of skills, we got the better kid.

Hawkins plays the 4 position and most of the Rowlette possesions begin with Hawkins at the free throw line with his back to the basket. I wonder if his 3 percentage will improve when he begins the possesion facing the basket?

I said this in a post earlier, none of what you're seeing coming out of the HS ranks is indicative at all of what we're getting with Hawkins.  In the summer, when he's allowed to create and make plays, he's the best shooter on the floor 90% of the time, and his percentages would bear that out if they were kept.

He strokes it with ease out to NBA range and beyond.  I've watched Fuller in the summers as well, and he's another good one with range.  The main difference in their jumpshots is elevation.  Fuller doesn't elevate off the floor much, but Hawkins does quite a bit.  His footwork is awesome, whether it's in a catch and shoot situation or coming off screens or creating off the bounce.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall right, one of the services this summer counted Hawkins as one of the best jump shooters in the entire 2013 class.  I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to shooting.