Some recruiting choices for the next couple of years: A poll

Norm Peterson

Recruiting choices -- would you spend 'ships or save them?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Coach Miles, sitting with two empty spots this late in the recruiting season, would you fill them now with whatever you could find or save them for the class of 2014? (You cannot assume premature attrition for purposes of this question.)

• Pickins are slim now, this late in the 2013 recruiting season. I figure there will be more upper level prospects available for 2014 and I'd just as soon save the two extra spots for that class in hopes of getting better players than what's lef...
    • The last Husker team that November signees will remember is one that finishes at or near bottom of the B1G. I'd rather grab whoever can help now in hopes of making a strong showing next season for the 2015 class where we'll have at least 3 spots.
    • Get the best big available now and save the last open spot for the class of 2014 so that we have at least 2 spots to offer for that class and balance out the classes a bit.
    • Depends on if we get the two kids we're targetting right now. If not and the pickins are too slim, save the spots. If we can sign those two kids, though, nab 'em both now.

I understand - and that's good info that clears the Sergej redshirt question up. But it's not always up to the coaches if a player wants to transfer. I would be very surprised if we didn't have SOME attrition before the 2014 class. I'd have to go back and look to remember the last time we didn't have any...

Generally speaking, over the past 5 years, people blamed Doc for premature attrition, not player choice.  That may be accurate and it might not be.  I don't know.  But anytime the subject of player turnover came up, there were plenty of people who said that Doc kept pushing people out rather than developing them.  That he'd miss on a recruit and push them out the door.  That kind of thing.

My perception of this staff, from what was said at that meet and greet, is that they don't have the luxury of doing that even if they wanted to.  Now, between now and the 2014 recruiting class early signing period (this coming November) there just aren't a lot of guys who might transfer of their own volition.  Where's Ray Gallegos going?  Anywhere?  Not likely.  Nor Shields, nor Rivers, nor any of the three guys sitting out right now as transfers.

That leaves Benny and Sergej.  ACAG said very clearly the coaches are behind Sergej, like his upside, and think he'll develop.  Sergej isn't getting pushed out any doors.  Will Benny depart on his own?  Maybe if he thinks that there will be too much competition for minutes at point guard.  But, again, he won't get pushed out the door.

I might have thought Sergej would be a guy that they might tell to look for places where he'd be a better fit.  But the ACAG said the APR puts us in a position where we really can't have much turnover, if at all.

From my experience with Doc, he didn't "push players out." Some weren't getting the PT they wanted, Doc told them they had to get better and play better in practice or they would continue riding pine. If they'd rather transfer than work to earn the position, Doc would help them pack. There might be a couple of exceptions, but the majority thought they should be playing more and Doc thought otherwise.

I understand - and that's good info that clears the Sergej redshirt question up. But it's not always up to the coaches if a player wants to transfer. I would be very surprised if we didn't have SOME attrition before the 2014 class. I'd have to go back and look to remember the last time we didn't have any...

Generally speaking, over the past 5 years, people blamed Doc for premature attrition, not player choice.  That may be accurate and it might not be.  I don't know.  But anytime the subject of player turnover came up, there were plenty of people who said that Doc kept pushing people out rather than developing them.  That he'd miss on a recruit and push them out the door.  That kind of thing.

My perception of this staff, from what was said at that meet and greet, is that they don't have the luxury of doing that even if they wanted to.  Now, between now and the 2014 recruiting class early signing period (this coming November) there just aren't a lot of guys who might transfer of their own volition.  Where's Ray Gallegos going?  Anywhere?  Not likely.  Nor Shields, nor Rivers, nor any of the three guys sitting out right now as transfers.

That leaves Benny and Sergej.  ACAG said very clearly the coaches are behind Sergej, like his upside, and think he'll develop.  Sergej isn't getting pushed out any doors.  Will Benny depart on his own?  Maybe if he thinks that there will be too much competition for minutes at point guard.  But, again, he won't get pushed out the door.

I might have thought Sergej would be a guy that they might tell to look for places where he'd be a better fit.  But the ACAG said the APR puts us in a position where we really can't have much turnover, if at all.

From my experience with Doc, he didn't "push players out." Some weren't getting the PT they wanted, Doc told them they had to get better and play better in practice or they would continue riding pine. If they'd rather transfer than work to earn the position, Doc would help them pack. There might be a couple of exceptions, but the majority thought they should be playing more and Doc thought otherwise.

And to be fair....looking at his results...a couple of them were right