uneblinstu's post game chatter: vol 5, ed 22 - Ohio St.

uneblinstu

Man, thought this might have been the night.

- I thought they responded fairly well to Coach's challenge this week.  They got popped in the nose a couple of times and responded and were able to climb back into the game.

- Free throw disparity was a pretty big stat in this game.  I know this is a priority for Miles, so I have to think this will improve over the years.

- Thought we got some good contributions from Andre in the first half, he's just a foule magnet, though.

- Rivers was a nice spark in the second half.

- Gallegos at times just takes shots for taking shots sake, it seems...

- Craft is feisty.  Not gonna miss him when he graduates.

- Coach Matta was wearing black tennis shoes, not some sort of dress shoe.  Does he always do that?

- Good crowd tonight.  Will probably be the best crowd of the conference season.  Only behind the Creighton crowd.

- This really was a pretty even game in a lot of categories.  The only one where this wasn't the case was in the free throw category.

- Held our own on the boards.

- I thought there were a lot of good things that happened tonight, just couldn't get over the hump.  I'll need to watch it again, I'm sure I missed some things...

This post has been promoted to an article

Here are some thoughts:

1.  Getting tired of every time someone drives inside and hits Almeida a glancing blow, it's a foul on Andre.

2.  As people were leaving tonight around the 2:00 minute mark, I stood near a doorway and yelled "Don't leave" at 'em.  Yeah.  That was kinda juvenile--but hey, it made me feel better, and some of them actually stuck around for another minute or so.  Maybe next time they'll want to avoid such abuse and not leave early.

3.  If only one of those four-or-so consecutive Husker threes that rimmed out during the last 1:30 had gone in . . .

4.  Nice to see a good crowd that got into the game and were repaid by a great game from the team.

5.  There were three-or-so threes for Ohio St. that went in when Huskers had played excellent defense for 32 seconds--and all three shots had a Husker defender in the shooter's face.  Tough breaks!

Perhaps we should focus on the fans who stayed, rather on the "fans" who left.  I am pretty convinced that we are not going to stop that four minute flow...at least this year.  That said, I get really, really pissed when they leave and then hesitate and stand in my site line...if you are going to leave, get your ass out the door so those of us remaining to support the team...CAN.  (Sorry about my language, but in this instance, I kind of want to exclaim my raised dander.

Free throw disparity and buzzer-beater 3's as previously mentioned, plus the 3 (or 4) five second violations were the keys.  The inbounds call seemed a little short to me, and the one with Dylan dribbling was something that goes without being called every game.   Good teams get breaks, I guess. 

Perhaps we should focus on the fans who stayed, rather on the "fans" who left.  I am pretty convinced that we are not going to stop that four minute flow...at least this year.  That said, I get really, really pissed when they leave and then hesitate and stand in my site line...if you are going to leave, get your ass out the door so those of us remaining to support the team...CAN.  (Sorry about my language, but in this instance, I kind of want to exclaim my raised dander.

I think you're on to something.  Do something post game that would encourage the fans to stick around.  Entertainment or freebies of some sort.  I know that Kansas State plays their coaches' post game show over the PA system in the arena.  It couldn't be all that hard to do something.  Free post game hot dogs for folks who stay...something like that.

I think you're on to something.  Do something post game that would encourage the fans to stick around.  Entertainment or freebies of some sort.  I know that Kansas State plays their coaches' post game show over the PA system in the arena.  It couldn't be all that hard to do something.  Free post game hot dogs for folks who stay...something like that.

retractable stripper poles beneath each basket. close to the student section. and a beer cart that rolls around. oh wait, no beer. so another kind of cart. a crash cart?

Oof...this thread is getting off topic quickly.  Let's just chalk up this season of beat-the-crowdism to a tribute to the final season of shitty parking at the Bob.

To connect two points previously, Andre come back in with 2 fouls at the end of the first half and Aaron Craft can't run into him fast enough to get the token "Run into Almeida for a foul call" and give Andre his 3rd before the end of the half.  Tonight it hurt to not have Andre back in the game until the middle of the 2nd half.

18:00 to go in the game.....the first foul called against Ohio St on defense.  Until that time Ohio St had racked up 3 fouls....on offense.  The Huskers are one of the worse teams in the nation in FT Attempts vs. FG Attempts...this Husker team has no one who plays to contact.

We struggled (once again) at the beginning of both halves.  I cannot put my finger on the reason, but each half, we came on...

It doesn't seem like we have any idea what we want to run at the end of any half nor close game.  I think it's directly related to our problem of not playing to contact.

We struggled (once again) at the beginning of both halves.  I cannot put my finger on the reason, but each half, we came on...

It doesn't seem like we have any idea what we want to run at the end of any half nor close game.  I think it's directly related to our problem of not playing to contact.

Yep. That will definitely change w/ Miles in charge of the roster in the coming years. The FT disparity was a huge disappointment.

Great to see the Huskers fight valiantly tonight against the mighty Buckeyes after the 70-44 debacle in C-Bus.

What to say.  Hmmm.

I don't think the foul disparity can be explained just on the basis of them being more aggressive or whatever.  It was more about what uniform each team was wearing.  I hate to beat this drum again but we just don't get calls.  Not even at home.  Really, we never have.  But it's frustrating enough when Ohio State knocks down a long ball dagger at the end of the shot clock.  But please, refs, let the players decide the game.  It's tough enough for Nebraska to play against Ohio State straight up.  It's impossible when we have to go 5 on 8.

The refs did Ohio State a HUGE favor by not calling a T on him toward the end of the game.  Hard to justify a technical in just about any other situation if you don't call one there.  But that would have put a Husker on the line with a chance to cut the Ohio State lead to 3 and then the ball out of bounds.  How could they not call that T?  Unbelievable. Might not be a more clear example of how far out of their way the refs were going in order to give OSU an advantage.  Well, besides the free throw disparity.

But, hey, we played a very good OSU team to single digits after getting blown out at their place earlier this season.  We have the least talent and the least depth of any team in the B1G and there's no way we should be in this game.  No reason we should have been able to be within 2 possessions in the last minute.  No way.  Yet, there we were.  This team should be proud of the effort even if the outcome was not what they hoped for.  Take away the freethrow disparity and the outcome is different.

David Rivers player of the game?  That's what Tim Miles said after the game and can't say that I disagree.  But he also said Andre was the Husker MVP for the first half.  How about that?

We lose a lot when this senior class graduates.  Gonna be tough to replace these two bigs and I think Talley is a bit under-rated by some people around here.  What we have signed and sitting out won't necessarily fill the empty spaces left behind by Ubel and Almeida.  Trouble is that the bigs on this roster aren't exactly a strength of the team.  Adding Pitchford certainly fills the hole a little bit but we still need another big, IMO.  And a big who's ready to play and contribute right away next year.

Beginning of both halves?  What about the end of the first?  We were tied at 19 with about 5 minutes to go in the first half and I turned to the guy next to me and said, "Now, just don't let them go on a big run to end the half."  About that time ...

13-4 run to end the first half.  

We won the 2nd half, people.  The game was basically decided in the last 5 minutes of the first half because that's when we dug a hole out of which we were never able to climb.

I hear what you're saying Norm, but we hoisted up 26 3's.  26!?!  That's more than double what OSU attempted.  It's a different mentality or perhaps skill set that draws fouls.  We don't have it or play it right now.  I think Miles wants to do more of that, but right now until we have guys that can do that more often, it's the reality of how this team is constructed.  They let a lot go tonight on both sides.  If they call it on Andre, for instance, like it's been called much of the season, he'd have fouled out by halftime.

I thought the calls were slightly favoring OSU, for sure, but I didn't think we got hosed. If the calls are even, the game MIGHT be 2-4 points closer but it certainly didn't cost us the game. I agree with uneblinstu, as Almeida did get away with quite a bit. Actually, that's not true - the game was called fairly on him, where he didn't get called for a foul anytime he breathed on someone. I thought he only had one questionable call against him.

Here's a random question, off topic. What are people's thoughts on Shavon Shields' inability to get to the hole or more accurately, inability to finish, against the upper tier of Big 10 teams? I know we lauded him (and justifiably so) after PSU and had some saying some crazy things.

How good do we think he could be? What is his ceiling? For example, is he the same as Toney McCray as a freshman or markedly better? Does he have a higher ceiling than McCray had at that time? Because I think all of us thought he'd do a lot better than he did.

Not hating on Shavon at all - I'm just wondering if we were a little too high on him after PSU, just like me bringing this up might be a little low on him.

Thoughts?

I thought the calls were slightly favoring OSU, for sure, but I didn't think we got hosed. If the calls are even, the game MIGHT be 2-4 points closer but it certainly didn't cost us the game. I agree with uneblinstu, as Almeida did get away with quite a bit. Actually, that's not true - the game was called fairly on him, where he didn't get called for a foul anytime he breathed on someone. I thought he only had one questionable call against him.

Here's a random question, off topic. What are people's thoughts on Shavon Shields' inability to get to the hole or more accurately, inability to finish, against the upper tier of Big 10 teams? I know we lauded him (and justifiably so) after PSU and had some saying some crazy things.

How good do we think he could be? What is his ceiling? For example, is he the same as Toney McCray as a freshman or markedly better? Does he have a higher ceiling than McCray had at that time? Because I think all of us thought he'd do a lot better than he did.

Not hating on Shavon at all - I'm just wondering if we were a little too high on him after PSU, just like me bringing this up might be a little low on him.

Thoughts?

Interesting question. I think Tony had more talent, at least offensively. Toney was also a headcase, and he remained so his entire career. Shavon's personality and approach to the game is just radically different. He's also going to be better on the defensive end.

I think Shavon's realistic upside is much higher than Toney's because of that.

Shavon drives funny. It seems like he's putting much more air under the ball when he takes those scoop and runner shots he likes and it's causing him to miss a lot of them. An offseason of work on the finish should improve both of those shots. He has a nose for holes that you can't teach, and is able to patiently go between defenders in control which is, in my opinion, a premium skill.

I love Shavon's maturity and how he engages the game.

What to say.  Hmmm.

I don't think the foul disparity can be explained just on the basis of them being more aggressive or whatever.  It was more about what uniform each team was wearing.  I hate to beat this drum again but we just don't get calls.  Not even at home.  Really, we never have.  But it's frustrating enough when Ohio State knocks down a long ball dagger at the end of the shot clock.  But please, refs, let the players decide the game.  It's tough enough for Nebraska to play against Ohio State straight up.  It's impossible when we have to go 5 on 8.

The refs did Ohio State a HUGE favor by not calling a T on him toward the end of the game.  Hard to justify a technical in just about any other situation if you don't call one there.  But that would have put a Husker on the line with a chance to cut the Ohio State lead to 3 and then the ball out of bounds.  How could they not call that T?  Unbelievable. Might not be a more clear example of how far out of their way the refs were going in order to give OSU an advantage.  Well, besides the free throw disparity.

But, hey, we played a very good OSU team to single digits after getting blown out at their place earlier this season.  We have the least talent and the least depth of any team in the B1G and there's no way we should be in this game.  No reason we should have been able to be within 2 possessions in the last minute.  No way.  Yet, there we were.  This team should be proud of the effort even if the outcome was not what they hoped for.  Take away the freethrow disparity and the outcome is different.

David Rivers player of the game?  That's what Tim Miles said after the game and can't say that I disagree.  But he also said Andre was the Husker MVP for the first half.  How about that?

We lose a lot when this senior class graduates.  Gonna be tough to replace these two bigs and I think Talley is a bit under-rated by some people around here.  What we have signed and sitting out won't necessarily fill the empty spaces left behind by Ubel and Almeida.  Trouble is that the bigs on this roster aren't exactly a strength of the team.  Adding Pitchford certainly fills the hole a little bit but we still need another big, IMO.  And a big who's ready to play and contribute right away next year.

Ubel may not be replaced right away....but if we get Atewe, Thomas or both we'll replace Almeida without blinking an eye

We might have been a little high on Shields after the Penn State game. However, the thing that sticks out to me with him is the effort. At times he has freshman moments and disappears. When he "remembers" to go all out he's very good. As far as inability to finish, I chalk that up to two things - he's a freshman and needs some more strength to go into the paint and finish and the fact there isn't a true inside threat to open up the lane. Every time he drives, the defense collapses without fear of someone else making a play.

I think Shevon has a huge upside and think we will see him make a big jump in consistency and productivity next year.

Ubel may not be replaced right away....but if we get Atewe, Thomas or both we'll replace Almeida without blinking an eye

Totally agree. Andre is so inconsistent. A box of chocolates. I'd take an athletic big like Atewe any day.

The foul disparity was a major part of this game.   I do not believe the refereeing was horrible, but little things stood out.  Craft got a player control call on Talley once that was terrible...that same type of in the chest defense was being played throughout the game, and on one play, Craft acted into a foul call.  The teams played physical, which generally was going both ways, but it seemed like Ohio got away with that physical play, were we did not, at least a couple of out players did not. 

This was a hard game to call because of the physical play, but it needs to be called consistantly.  Towards the end of the game, I thought we got away with some stuff, that earlier in the game we did not get away with...in particular while crashing the offensive glass.