Ray Gallegos

MilesForPrez

Yeah there were many.  NU Student was just the most outspoken so I remember his comments better.  Some people saw his upside though. 

that's very true. cwg just bumped an old ego thread where he nailed it....:) I actually had Gallegos as a wild card in that same thread. No one ever questioned his athleticism.

Well, and another kid named Brandon Ubel was written off (by some) before he even got here.  And that particular kid is comporting himself pretty well this season for a kid who didn't belong at this level and should never have been recruited.

I'm happy to say I was a charter member of the Ubel fan club from back in the day. Sometimes you just get lucky and see what a coach sees in a kid. That was me with Brandon. But I get way too many wrong to ever puff out the chest.

Well, and another kid named Brandon Ubel was written off (by some) before he even got here.  And that particular kid is comporting himself pretty well this season for a kid who didn't belong at this level and should never have been recruited.

Amen Brother Norm.  I would even be a tad stronger with the opinion, Brandon was ripped by many.  Visions of redshirt still dance in my head. 

How's this for a stat line: 30 points on 12 of 17 from the floor (71%), 6 of 9 from three (67%) and 0-fer 1 from the line (ouch), in 38 minutes with 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 foul and 2 turnovers. All that under heavy defensive pressure.

Looks like Ray's extra shooting work on the practice court is paying off. Perhaps the recent sportscaster's comment during a game that Ray is NBA material, if his shot could be more reliable, is spurring him on. Here's hoping that he can replicate this performance in a game where we have a fighting chance!

I'm starting to think he has a chance to make the Association. 

Boy some folks like NU student were badly mistaken regarding this kid. 

I do not remember who... but I do remember some calling him out saying he could not cut it.  Kind of reminds me of the same people calling out Benny already.

I have not called out Benny but it is getting difficult not to. He played 30 minutes last night and took either zero or one shot! When the ball is passed around the perimeter he does not even look at basket.He never penetrates which is a cardinal of sin of a point guard, especially one who vertically challenged like Benny. When he's in the game, the opponents enjoy having five guys guarding four huskers and saging in toward the lane because he is not even a threat to shoot. His high school clips indicated that he was a driving, whirling wizard but it looks like he has zero confidence on offense at the D1 level.

Why anyone wouldn't pur up five or six times in 30 minutes of play when they know they are not going to be benched because there is no one else going to replace them is beyond me. Being only a few inches taller than Benny and having played point guard, I like Benny but he's looking to me like a redshirt at best next year and I would not be surprised if he transfers to a smaller level school.I hope I am wrong and wish him well.

Nobody's ever improved their shooting from one year to the next.  I mean look at Gallegos, his first year he shot 34% from 3.  His second year he shot 14%, and this year he is shooting 31%.  Parker brings items to the table to make him useful.  He handles the ball well with an almost 1.5 assist to turnover ratio for a freshmen.  He plays good defense.  The only downfall he has is his confidence in his shot.  Actually, we don't even need him to score a bunch.  He just needs to hit some shots to make the defense guard him.  Minnesota's defense was awful if they had 5 guys guarding 4 last night, as he still had 6 assists.  Somebody made the comparison of Charles Richardson, a good point guard but he averaged 2 points per game his first two years, 4 points his junior year, and 8 points his senior year.

Remember in the beginning of the year when Benny and Miles talked about having to slow down. :mellow:

That might be his biggest problem, Benny has gone ultra fast all his life, that's his game and now he is having to change this.

That has to be hard. :(

I think Benny is trying his best to change and he will change, just that this way isn't allowing him to get his rhythm. :(

He will and we will all be better for it. B)