Ray Gallegos

MilesForPrez

Let's not get carried away.  He had a great night, and perhaps it will carry over, but has been a pretty average shooter over the course of the season. 

No.  He is not an average shooter.  The problem is no one on our team can create.  He cant.  But his percentage will go up immensely when he has a guard or forward who can put himself in a position to up his percentage from the arc.

I was touting Ray prior to the start of the season...Ray can light it up.  He needs to continue to grow though.  He needs to build more strength, a bump can throw him off, and secondly, he needs to become more consistent.  But he certainly has looked to have refined his shot over the last two games.

Let's not get carried away.  He had a great night, and perhaps it will carry over, but has been a pretty average shooter over the course of the season. 

No.  He is not an average shooter.  The problem is no one on our team can create.  He cant.  But his percentage will go up immensely when he has a guard or forward who can put himself in a position to up his percentage from the arc.

From what I've seen, his play and numbers would indicate otherwise.  The kid seems to be working hard, so hopefully that will pay off.  I do like what I've seen from him defensively.  I think that's where he's made his biggest strides.

I've noticed on some possessions he will make three trips back and forth at full speed running and cutting off multiple screens. The fact that he can maintain that level of effort when playing nearly the entire game shows me that he could be truly great with a little more help. He did have, at least, one nice drive in last night and I wish he would do more of that because he's going to get more buckets and foul shots if he can take it to the hoop when the defender flies to defend the three.

How's this for a stat line: 30 points on 12 of 17 from the floor (71%), 6 of 9 from three (67%) and 0-fer 1 from the line (ouch), in 38 minutes with 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 foul and 2 turnovers. All that under heavy defensive pressure.

Looks like Ray's extra shooting work on the practice court is paying off. Perhaps the recent sportscaster's comment during a game that Ray is NBA material, if his shot could be more reliable, is spurring him on. Here's hoping that he can replicate this performance in a game where we have a fighting chance!

Big time player.   Cant wait to see him with a guard that can CREATE.   Ray is an assasin.  Ruthless shooter.  Miles does need to talk to him about the first ten min of second half...needs to impose will the whole game.  could have been 35-40.  But all in all, hell of a performance.

And what would you like Miles to say to him? "Hey Ray, tell Dylan that he needs to give you the ball more?"  Multiple times during that ten minute span of going scoreless, Ray was curling screens and coming off screens tight and instead of Talley hitting him on the curl for a layup or pull up jumper, Dylan would look him off and instead dribble the ball up top til it gets down to 10 on the shot clock, and put up a terrible look

What has hurt Ray's 3 point % is the lack of scoring options on this team and the defense he draws.  Anyone that has played competitive ball knows that the shots Ray is taking are some of the toughest in basketball.  Most of his shots are moving off screens or off the dribble usually with tight defense.  Collecting yourself to shoot while moving that speed takes a good athlete.  These are tough shots.  If he were shooting 3s on kick outs his percentage would be better.  Ray has amazed me so far this year and he has taken full advantage of redshirting.  Add the fact he is athletic enough to gaurd most 1s and 2s in the Big 10, I really look forward to what he may be able to do on a young but deep team next year.

Boy some folks like NU student were badly mistaken regarding this kid. 

I do not remember who... but I do remember some calling him out saying he could not cut it.  Kind of reminds me of the same people calling out Benny already.

I am not calling Benny out, but I don't think he is ever going to be good here.  He sure didn't help matters last night either. 

Given what we saw of Ray as a freshman and the unusual move to redshirt as a sophomore can lead one to that conclusion. I didn't think he'd have the year he's having either, and I think that was a reasonable conclusion based upon what we saw.

Ultimately, all of us are flying pretty blind as fans anyway, so the lesson here is probably not get married to your opinions.

Ray and Benny have one thing in common: both were Rivals two-star recruits. Actually, Benny eventually became upgraded to a three-star, but Ray never did and still shows as a two-star recruit on the Rivals database.

Benny was a one star on espn

I'm more concerned about players becoming a star than I am about how many stars they had going into college.

I do not remember who... but I do remember some calling him out saying he could not cut it.  Kind of reminds me of the same people calling out Benny already.

I have not called out Benny but it is getting difficult not to. He played 30 minutes last night and took either zero or one shot! When the ball is passed around the perimeter he does not even look at basket.He never penetrates which is a cardinal of sin of a point guard, especially one who vertically challenged like Benny. When he's in the game, the opponents enjoy having five guys guarding four huskers and saging in toward the lane because he is not even a threat to shoot. His high school clips indicated that he was a driving, whirling wizard but it looks like he has zero confidence on offense at the D1 level.

Why anyone wouldn't pur up five or six times in 30 minutes of play when they know they are not going to be benched because there is no one else going to replace them is beyond me. Being only a few inches taller than Benny and having played point guard, I like Benny but he's looking to me like a redshirt at best next year and I would not be surprised if he transfers to a smaller level school.I hope I am wrong and wish him well.