Watson article from Lee

unl

Nice article by Lee. For those without subscription, gives specific reasons Watson is all N and reiterates the team is motivated by an NIT bid last year. Anyone else who read it, I’m curious to know your thoughts?

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/barfknecht-glynn-watson-s-commitment-to-husker-basketball-nearly-brings/article_84f57d61-5414-5347-ba33-c0ea969762de.html

I've always think Lee B. gives a fair, clear-eyed view of the Program. It might come across as harsh at times, but as Randy Moss said, sometimes the truth hurts. This lays out where the guys heads are right now, and I think they all know they have a chance to do something "Special" this year.  Palmer & Copeland might be the main cogs, but a big year from Glynn could really make them dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't agree that they folded last year.  They won 7 of their last 10.  Yes, they got curbstomped by Michigan in the BTT, but turns out that was a red-hot Michigan team.  Then they lost AT MissSt in the NIT.  Turns out MissSt was pretty good, too.

The year before that, they folded.  Lost 8 of their last 10, including a 5-game losing streak to wrap things up.  That team was very young and had a player or two who quit.  And I'm talking before they officially transferred.

We're going into this season with some seasoned veterans.  Not only is this one of our most talented teams, it's also one of our most experienced.

I guess it comes down to your impression of the word folded and mine.  We lost to a great team in the conference tournament and was disappointed with not making it to the NCAA TOURNAMENT.  Instead of gathering and being hell-bent on winning the NIT we did not play to our potential and got rocked out of the tournament in one game.  That did not meet my expectation,  but perhaps it met the expectations of the masses.

I expected more with our NIT appearance and I expect more from this year's team.

Edited by Huskerpapa

One thing about basketball is that every team except a handful ( the champions of NCAA, NIT, CBI, CIT, Etc) lose their last game they play...and if they got beat in the first round of their tournament and didn't win their conference tourney end the season on a two game losing streak.

It is the nature of the sport to finish the season with a loss or two.

16 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I guess it comes down to your impression of the word folded and mine.  We lost to a great team in the conference tournament and was disappointed with not making it to the NCAA TOURNAMENT.  Instead of gathering and being hell-bent on winning the NIT we did not play to our potential and got rocked out of the tournament in one game.  That did not meet my expectation,  but perhaps it met the expectations of the masses.

I expected more with our NIT appearance and I expect more from this year's team.

A lot of it had to do with the ridiculous job by Barry Collier and the NIT selection folks.  Their ineptitude put us in a situation on the road against a good team that we never should have been in.  

33 minutes ago, royalfan said:

A lot of it had to do with the ridiculous job by Barry Collier and the NIT selection folks.  Their ineptitude put us in a situation on the road against a good team that we never should have been in.  

Not sure if it was ineptitude or malicious intent. I tend to lean towards malicious intent.

8 hours ago, MandRHusker said:

Not sure if it was ineptitude or malicious intent. I tend to lean towards malicious intent.

When it comes to Collier, I'm leaning towards ineptitude.  Food for thought:  If Collier didn't come to Nebraska, would Butler be the program they are today and would it have taken Nebraska 20 years to get back to the talent level Danny recruited back in the 90"s?

Edited by cipsucks

I think we need Glynn to be on this year. He struggled a bit at times last year but I think/hope we get to see what he can really do with an experienced and talented team around him. I think he tried to do too much sometimes last season but I am looking for Glynn to be huge this year. He deserves to have a great senior season!  With Roby, Palmer, Copeland and the rest of the team there to take some pressure off, I think he will shine this season! Go Glynn and GBR! 

14 hours ago, cipsucks said:

When it comes to Collier, I'm leaning towards ineptitude.  Food for thought:  If Collier didn't come to Nebraska, would Butler be the program they are today and would it have taken Nebraska 20 years to get back to the talent level Danny recruited back in the 90"s?

I can't disagree with the position Barry left us in. I still think our NIT seeding was intentional, but who knows.

1 hour ago, BigTate said:

I think we need Glynn to be on this year. He struggled a bit at times last year but I think/hope we get to see what he can really do with an experienced and talented team around him. I think he tried to do too much sometimes last season but I am looking for Glynn to be huge this year. He deserves to have a great senior season!  With Roby, Palmer, Copeland and the rest of the team there to take some pressure off, I think he will shine this season! Go Glynn and GBR! 

It felt to me that Glynn tried to assume the role of a facilitator last year and didn't play to his strengths as a scorer.

6 minutes ago, MandRHusker said:

I can't disagree with the position Barry left us in. I still think our NIT seeding was intentional, but who knows.

It's fun to entertain that thought, but the NIT seeds too closely mimicked another rating system to believe it was intentional.   It was  just ineptitude in not looking at anything else.

10 minutes ago, nustudent said:

It's fun to entertain that thought, but the NIT seeds too closely mimicked another rating system to believe it was intentional.   It was  just ineptitude in not looking at anything else.

I disagree. No way any rating system places us as a 5th seed in the NIT last year 

11 hours ago, HB said:

His "strengths as a scorer" were undermined by his flat shot, regardless of any conscious approach to facilitate vs. score.

Agree.  His shot was noticeably flat last year.  It was a shot to shot issue; mesning, at times his shot would look nice, and then it would be flat again.  It had to be frustrating to both Glynn and the staff, because it was sure frustrating to watch.

Edited by Huskerpapa

On 7/10/2018 at 6:48 PM, cipsucks said:

I think those are valid questions. His inability to bring in High-end talent and lack of "personality" shall we say, left the program out in the woods for YEARS. My fondest memory from that era was when Jason Doreaussou (sp?) Dunked one at the Devaney and the entire basket collapsed. One of the few times we were on Sportscenter back then...

Edited by Handy Johnson

58 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Agree.  HiS sht was noticeably flat last year.  It was a shot to shot issue; mesning, at times his shot would look nice, and then it would be flat agsin.  It had to be frustrating to both Glynn and the staff, because it was sure frustrating to watch.

This has been the case most of his career, especially his freshman year. It was better his soph year, but probably not where it should have been.