• Just make the NCAA tournament
    • Need to win at least 1 game in NCAA tournament
    • Need to win at least 2 games in NCAA tournament
    • Win the Big 10 regular season conference title
    • Win the Big 10 conference tournament title
    • Set the school record for most wins in a season

3 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Hence the edit

They did not have a Glynn Watson to go along with them.  Also Allen and Tshimanga have potential to excel beyond College... Need work though

Also Roby, Palmer and Cope are Jr., Sr. and Sr.

Lue was a Freshman when Strickland was a Senior and Moore was a Junior

So with that logic you could say in 2014-15 we had 3 too with

Webster, Petteway and Shields. 

Face the facts people this team is the best we have ever put on the court!

1991-921992-93.png

1992-931993-94.png

1993-941991-92.png

14 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

1991-921992-93.png

1992-931993-94.png

1993-941991-92.png

And... ?

Piatkowski and Strickland are the only two players that would possible start over Roby, Copeland and Palmer... Who do you take in your pick up game over Palmer, Copeland or Roby

• Rich King -  because he was huge... I don't think so
  • Tony Farmer - Lol nope
  • Mikki Moore - Possible because of his height advantage, but his overall basketball IQ lacks, and is not as versatile as Roby or Copeland
  • Jaron Boone - No way do I take him over those 3

I find it laughable you pull up our best rosters ever, and over the course of 3 years I only find two that would start on next years team.  Maybe 3 with Moore's size

Hell I'd take Glynn Watson over King and Farmer

THIS YEAR is jam packed with UPPER CLASSMEN stars... that is the difference.  These players this year are damn near all at their peaks.  There is a hell of a difference when pulling out 3+ years of great players and comparing then to this next years team.

Edited by big red22

Okay I will post my starting 5 with four subs using the 91-96 players and 18-19 team

Starting 5

PG - Tyrone Lue

SG - Eric Piatkowski 

SF - James Palmer

PF - Isaiah Roby

C - Mikki Moore

Subs...

Glynn Watson

Eric Strickland 

Isaac Copeland

Jaron Boone

Missed the cut

Tony Farmer

Rich King

Venson Hamilton

That is 9 players and 4 of them are from 2018-19

Watson is in there, because of necessity of an additional point guard... If you all disagree, post yours

24 minutes ago, big red22 said:

And... ?

Piatkowski and Strickland are the only two players that would possible start over Roby, Copeland and Palmer... Who do you take in your pick up game over Palmer, Copeland or Roby

• Rich King -  because he was huge... I don't think so
  • Tony Farmer - Lol nope
  • Mikki Moore - Possible because of his height advantage, but his overall basketball IQ lacks, and is not as versatile as Roby or Copeland
  • Jaron Boone - No way do I take him over those 3

I find it laughable you pull up our best rosters ever, and over the course of 3 years I only find two that would start on next years team.  Maybe 3 with Moore's size

Hell I'd take Glynn Watson over King and Farmer

THIS YEAR is jam packed with UPPER CLASSMEN stars... that is the difference.  These players this year are damn near all at their peaks.  There is a hell of a difference when pulling out 3+ years of great players and comparing then to this next years team.

And... I think 5 on 5 all three of those teams have more talent than this years team. Maybe (I hope) time will show that this coming year's team was the best ever, but again I think you might be setting expectations a little high and under-appreciating the level of Tony Farmer, Rich King and Verson Hamilton

Edited by Dean Smith

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Hence the edit

They did not have a Glynn Watson to go along with them.  Also Allen and Tshimanga have potential to excel beyond College... Need work though

Also Roby, Palmer and Cope are Jr., Sr. and Sr.

Lue was a Freshman when Strickland was a Senior and Moore was a Junior

So with that logic you could say in 2014-15 we had 3 too with

Webster, Petteway and Shields. 

Face the facts people this team is the best we have ever put on the court!

Disagree. Copeland and Palmer will not likely make the NBA. I will obviously pull

for them, but it’s unlikely they make the incremental improvements they would need to as year-5 seniors. 

It’s the most talent we’ve had in 20 years, and I’m hoping for big things! ...But it’s not near the most talent we’ve ever had. 

17 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

5 of the 6 choices provided in the poll would constitute the greatest season in program history.  That seems to be a giant flaw in this poll, since a season shouldn't have to be the best ever to be considered a success. 

That's an excellent point.  Kinda says something about the perspective of where some people are coming from.  "I'm a real Miles fan and support him completely, but unless he reels off the best season in program history, I'm done."  That kind of thinking baffles me.  But if you remind some of these guys that we don't exactly have a blue blood history and hiring a new coach hasn't proven to be a panacea in the past, they tell you that's a losers mentality and you're just satisfied with losing.  Sigh.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's an excellent point.  Kinda says something about the perspective of where some people are coming from.  "I'm a real Miles fan and support him completely, but unless he reels off the best season in program history, I'm done."  That kind of thinking baffles me.  But if you remind some of these guys that we don't exactly have a blue blood history and hiring a new coach hasn't proven to be a panacea in the past, they tell you that's a losers mentality and you're just satisfied with losing.  Sigh.

I think what frustrates those people the most is that they don't argue that Miles has brought in some next grade talent. What they seem to be uneasy about is not seeing a correlation between talent level and overall win/loss results. And to be fair, it's been kind of extreme on the good and bad ends. He found success very early, plummeted, rebuilt, then found himself sitting out of the tournament after an arguably good year.

If you finish 13 - 5 in the B1G and return the heart of your line-up, all upper classmen btw, winning ONE game in the Tournament doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for me. Every year a team gets "Hot" in the tourney, the bracket breaks the right way, etc. Why not US? Certainly the Basketball Gods owe us a few, and we're overdue for some plain old dumb luck.

Let's be realistic in knowing that we have never won an NCAA tournament game as well.  Winning a game is more than we have EVER done.  We could not go 13-5 this year and be in a better position in the Dance.  I agree that every year a team gets "hot" in the tourney, but that could be the team we are going to play as much as it could be us.  Winning one game does a great deal for me.  I hear what you're saying in that we COULD win more than one, but winning one is more than we have ever done and would show me that we are certainly continuing in that positive direction.

23 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

It’s the most talent we’ve had in 20 years, and I’m hoping for big things! ...But it’s not near the most talent we’ve ever had. 

Very accurate.   This is a great group - but talent level is not where we were in 90-91 or 95-96 NIT championship team - or really even in most of the years in between those two.  BigRed22 likely is too young to remember those groups.

1 hour ago, HuskerBB said:

Very accurate.   This is a great group - but talent level is not where we were in 90-91 or 95-96 NIT championship team - or really even in most of the years in between those two.  BigRed22 likely is too young to remember those groups.

HuskerBB, thought for sure you'd go the 1965-66 route....   ;)

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=24&SPSID=23&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1965

The 95-96 team should've been a dark horse national championship roster.  It started three NBA players in Lue, Strick, and Mikki.  Their underachievement makes me physically ill.  

The 91 squad had Pike, King, and Farmer.  Three NBA players.  Farmer was a beast JUCO who actually played in the NBA for anyone who doesn't remember.  

I think this roster is comparable to those two rosters in terms of overall talent.  Those teams had better offense and more top end talent.  I think this squad plays better defense and has a more developed identity and philosophy.  I also like the versatility (passing and shooting) of our bigs in today's game.  

On the topic of the thread, I went with making the tourney.  For our program to get selected means we had a successful regular season.  Don’t get me wrong....I am DIEING (is that even spelled right?) to see us get that freaking win in the NCAA tourney.  It would be a dream season for me to see us get that elusive win.  Seeing Northwestern beat us to it was a dagger in my heart.

13 hours ago, cipsucks said:

HuskerBB, thought for sure you'd go the 1965-66 route....   ;)

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=24&SPSID=23&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1965

Lantz played for the Lakers, Simmons in the ABA and Branch and Campbell for the Globetrotters (laugh it you want, but in those days it meant something because there were so few opportunities to get paid to play). Tom Baack was the only one of the starters who didn't play professionally, and he was damn good.

That's all from memory, so take it as fact until somebody Googles it and proves me wrong. 

20 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Let's be realistic in knowing that we have never won an NCAA tournament game as well.  Winning a game is more than we have EVER done.  We could not go 13-5 this year and be in a better position in the Dance.  I agree that every year a team gets "hot" in the tourney, but that could be the team we are going to play as much as it could be us.  Winning one game does a great deal for me.  I hear what you're saying in that we COULD win more than one, but winning one is more than we have ever done and would show me that we are certainly continuing in that positive direction.

I know getting that 1st Tourney win is a landmark achievement, but being focused on just that (which I think happens)  is short sighted. I envision a K-State '88 type run with Mitch Richmond. Learn it, live it, believe it...

Those that are saying that winning a tournament game shouldn't be the floor simply because this program hasn't done it before miss one simple fact...

No other coach in program history (aside from Sadler's final season) has had a tournament field that allowed 68 teams and 4 play-in games available to get in.

10 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Those that are saying that winning a tournament game shouldn't be the floor simply because this program hasn't done it before miss one simple fact...

No other coach in program history (aside from Sadler's final season) has had a tournament field that allowed 68 teams and 4 play-in games available to get in.

I'm not sure I follow. They've had a field of 64 teams since 1985. Then in 2011 they added 4 more teams, only 2 of which actually benefit Power conference teams. The addition of those 4 teams made no difference to us making the tournament last year and very likely had little impact on us had that field of 68 been in affect for the last 30 years.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, HuskerBB said:

I am 38 years old and I am plenty old enough to remember those groups.  Piatkowski was my all time favorite as a kid, and was the player that got me hooked on the husker bball.

We have never had players with the skill set of Roby and Copeland together on the same court (Minus last year of course).  Now they have a season of basketball under their belt, and I just don't think timing has ever been this good.  

All I can say is it is asinine to think it would be acceptable for this team to "NOT" make the NCAA tournament.  The only way this team gets a pass not making the dance is if they have a season similar to Minnesota this past year (Just knocked on wood)

Edited by big red22