the Decision Mark III

Since absolutely nothing makes sense any more, I thought I would pose this question to the All-knowing Husker faithfull. Which of these two is the MOST likely scenario:

1. Nebraska wins the B1G Basketball Title.

OR

2. LA Bron wins the NBA Title with the Lakers. 

( hint, don't be fooled by the 7:2 Vegas odds)  

2 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Yes but not next year. He signed a 4 year contract which is basically admitting it will take them some time  to put a championship team together. 

NBA has a funny way of stars ending up together quickly, so you never know.  With George not coming, you are likely right though.  Magic don't have much of a clue though either.  

36 minutes ago, royalfan said:

NBA has a funny way of stars ending up together quickly, so you never know.  With George not coming, you are likely right though.  Magic don't have much of a clue though either.  

I disagree about the Magic thing. He has some long-term strategy that has been in the works for awhile and we are seeing it start to play out. They get another max salary next year and until then it will be very difficult for them to create enough space for any more stars. Ball needs to go to maximize James but you would have to pretty much get rid of all their young players to make something work for next year. If that happens I'll agree with you Magic statement because that would be very short-sighted. 

Magic just landed Lebron, so I would consider the job Magic has done, to this point, as A++++++++++

It'll be interesting to see how they fill out the roster.  I think trading anyone this season would be quite dumb as Kawhi is coming to LA regardless.  

My guess is this upcoming season's roster looks like this:

Tyreke Evans (in talks right now)/Lonzo Ball

Caldwell-Pope/Josh Hart

Ingram/Lance Stephenson

Bron/Kuzma

McGee/Wagner

^^^ This team can actually match up pretty well with GSW's death squad if you put Kuzma at the 4 and Bron at the 5.  I think they're working with more than most people think.  I think they should definitely let Randle go and pick up Evans with the loot.  Also, watch out for Chris Bosh... rumor has it he's got new blood clot meds.  

49 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Magic just landed Lebron, so I would consider the job Magic has done, to this point, as A++++++++++

It'll be interesting to see how they fill out the roster.  I think trading anyone this season would be quite dumb as Kawhi is coming to LA regardless.  

My guess is this upcoming season's roster looks like this:

Tyreke Evans (in talks right now)/Lonzo Ball

Caldwell-Pope/Josh Hart

Ingram/Lance Stephenson

Bron/Kuzma

McGee/Wagner

^^^ This team can actually match up pretty well with GSW's death squad if you put Kuzma at the 4 and Bron at the 5.  I think they're working with more than most people think.  I think they should definitely let Randle go and pick up Evans with the loot.  Also, watch out for Chris Bosh... rumor has it he's got new blood clot meds.  

I will be shocked if Ball is still there at the start of the season. Playing styles don’t mesh well, Ball can’t shoot and Bron is not going to put up with listening to the father after every game. 

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I will be shocked if Ball is still there at the start of the season. Playing styles don’t mesh well, Ball can’t shoot and Bron is not going to put up with listening to the father after every game. 

Oh I agree in sentiment.. I'm just not sure anyone else wants Lonzo.  I would think he'd be gone by now if anyone did.  You could basically trade him straight up for any starting PG in the league and lose nothing, in my opinion.  

Magic is doing well so far.  I mistakingly thought he was the one that brought Deng and Mozgov to town with absolutely disaster contracts.  Not ideal giving up a number 3 overall pick for nothing but Magic thought it was needed to lose the Mozgov deal.  He should't have had to clean up that mess.  It is a really easy place to be a president of basketball operations, but he is doing it well so far.  You have to open up room for superstars who covet playing there.  He is doing that.  Now he just has to not mangle the next two superstars.  Would be really dumb to give up anything of substance for Kawhi.  

Edited by royalfan

Sometimes its hard to think of these guys as more than basketball players, but i think this was more of a life choice for LeBron more so than a basketball decision.

If he is really at peace with his legacy like he claims, the move to LA makes sense. His family loves it there and alot of his post basketball adventures will be best suited in LA. Crazy to think we are seeing this mans career coming to a close in the next several years.

* Dont get me wrong Bron is still a competitor and is gonna try his best to win as much as possible, but i also think hes setting himself up for life after basketball with this move.

3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Magic is doing well so far.  I mistakingly thought he was the one that brought Deng and Mozgov to town with absolutely disaster contracts.  Not ideal giving up a number 3 overall pick for nothing but Magic thought it was needed to lose the Mozgov deal.  He should't have had to clean up that mess.  It is a really easy place to be a president of basketball operations, but he is doing it well so far.  You have to open up room for superstars who covet playing there.  He is doing that.  Now he just has to not mangle the next two superstars.  Would be really dumb to give up anything of substance for Kawhi.  

Agreed. LeBron can prob take the roster as it is now to the WCF. So ride this year out and get Kawhi next year as a FA so you dont have to give the Spurs literally everything in a trade

Wow... Lake show just picked up Rondo (Boogie bait) for a 1 year deal and renounced Randle.  I think that means Boogie Cousins is next and will be allowed to fully heal before destroying in the playoffs.  Crazy genius if that move works.  The Rondo-Cousins P&R can give Bron a whole lot of breathers.  

No question 19-20 will be a super super team.   

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

Wow... Lake show just picked up Rondo (Boogie bait) for a 1 year deal and renounced Randle.  I think that means Boogie Cousins is next and will be allowed to fully heal before destroying in the playoffs.  Crazy genius if that move works.  The Rondo-Cousins P&R can give Bron a whole lot of breathers.  

No question 19-20 will be a super super team.   

Boogie is now a Warrior. Did not see that coming. 

NBA free agency is a strange, strange thing. The Lakers let Julius Randle go, pick up Rondo for $9 million. NO signs Randle and lets Cousins go. The big money went quickly and Cousins is left looking for a team, ends up with the champs. A former All-Star, he gets a one-year deal for $5 million, while Randle gets $18 million for 2 years. No comparison between the two players. It all makes sense its own way, but it's a complete head scratcher if you don't know all the ins and outs of contracts, salary caps, etc.

The Lakers' team chemistry should be interesting with Rondo and Lonzo Ball competing for time, and LBJ and Lavar chiming in with their opinions. Luke Walton may need some of his dad's hallucinogens.

11 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Boogie is now a Warrior. Did not see that coming. 

Crazy, and apparently the Lakers never offered.  Now based on all the one year contracts it looks like they'll clear about $80mil next year for Kawhi and one other killer without having to trade their young talent.  19-20 is also when GSW will likely break up as 4/5 of their stars will be FAs.  Bron may have that one chance to create a final dynasty.  

2 hours ago, LK1 said:

Crazy, and apparently the Lakers never offered.  Now based on all the one year contracts it looks like they'll clear about $80mil next year for Kawhi and one other killer without having to trade their young talent.  19-20 is also when GSW will likely break up as 4/5 of their stars will be FAs.  Bron may have that one chance to create a final dynasty.  

They would have been able to offer cousins what lance got instead.  Even before that happened most people thought Lance was well over paid.  The team has very few shooters which is the key to a LeBron offense it’s not going to be a great defensive team either though probably not bad.  I would say that magic has done a suspect job best if you look at anything besides LeBron which wasn’t really Magic’s doing. The good thing is he hasn’t locked them up with long term deals but that’s the most obvious play in the book.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

NBA free agency is a strange, strange thing. The Lakers let Julius Randle go, pick up Rondo for $9 million. NO signs Randle and lets Cousins go. The big money went quickly and Cousins is left looking for a team, ends up with the champs. A former All-Star, he gets a one-year deal for $5 million, while Randle gets $18 million for 2 years. No comparison between the two players. It all makes sense its own way, but it's a complete head scratcher if you don't know all the ins and outs of contracts, salary caps, etc.

The Lakers' team chemistry should be interesting with Rondo and Lonzo Ball competing for time, and LBJ and Lavar chiming in with their opinions. Luke Walton may need some of his dad's hallucinogens.

Boogie is gonna have a rough year. He wont be healthy til midseason and who knows how an injury prone 28 year old is gonna bounce back from a ruptured achilles.

Very low risk, high reward move by the Warriors. If he comes back healthy, theyre unbeatable. If not, they still have KD and Steph... and Klay... and Draymond. Still pretty unbeatable.

It will be interesting to see how strong the Warriors culture is and if it can handle a player like Boogie who has a reputation (fair or not) of being selfish and immature. Also of note, when he comes back he will likely be playing for a long term, big pay day type of contract the following year. Will that get in the way of Warriors team ball?

Here is an idea, reduce the number of teams to 10 or 12.  Remove the fringe players and reduce the number of games, but distribute the games throughout the country and the world.  You would then have all the teams be super team.  Then build an enhanced minor league where the elite league can promote and send down players.   You could have a two or three tier minor league (A, AA, AAA) much like they do in baseball.  

I guess you have something like that now in the NBA,...

Edited by Huskerpapa

It's a trick question (sort of) Cornhuskers bring home the B1G Title THIS year, if LA Bron does hang a banner in the Staples Center it won't be without some help. As others have pointed out Magic has a taken a longview on this, plenty of money freed up for next off season too.

6 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Then add Lance Stephenson to the mix, lol.  

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Boogie is gonna have a rough year. He wont be healthy til midseason and who knows how an injury prone 28 year old is gonna bounce back from a ruptured achilles.

Very low risk, high reward move by the Warriors. If he comes back healthy, theyre unbeatable. If not, they still have KD and Steph... and Klay... and Draymond. Still pretty unbeatable.

It will be interesting to see how strong the Warriors culture is and if it can handle a player like Boogie who has a reputation (fair or not) of being selfish and immature. Also of note, when he comes back he will likely be playing for a long term, big pay day type of contract the following year. Will that get in the way of Warriors team ball?

Seems like a dump place for Boogie to go to rebuild his value as well.  Some teams overpay for stats, which will not be there in GS.