18.5 Point Dogs??? Really?

hhcdave

I think Vegas is about ten points too high. Was shocked to see us getting almost 19 at Minnesota.

I wouldn't be surprised if we make this a 40 minute game and have a chance to pull it out. That seems like easy $$$. Has me fired up. Kick some ass tonight boys!

I'd hold your money

They achieved a 4 game losing streak by losing 3 games on the road and losing at home to Michigan.

They have split the game vs Northwestern for like the last 5 games in a row.

Minnesota wins by double digits in The Barn tonight and you're gambling on who wins garbage time with that point spread.

This kind of thing is the reason I don't bet.  Remember how we've fared facing teams that are coming off of multiple losses?  Illinois, anyone?  And Purdue had just beaten Penn State after enduring their own 2-game skid.

So ...

I'd say Minnesota comes out guns a'blazin'.  They're gonna try to put a hurtin' on us to make up for the bad taste in their mouths from the losses they've had in the last few games.  We could cover, but then again, it could be a 20 point loss or worse.  Line's set about right, IMO.

Game Day Tid-Bits:

• Minnesota will play host to Nebraska in the season-series opener. The Gophers hold a 33-7 record over the Cornhuskers in games played in Minneapolis, dating back to a 52-9 win on Feb. 15, 1902. 

• Minnesota went 2-0 last season in the series, including a 81-69 win at Williams Arena. Rodney Williams averaged 12.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in the series, all team-highs. Trevor Mbakwe will be playing in his first career game against Nebraska. 

• Andre Hollins is averaging a team and career-high 14.2 ppg this season, ninth-most in the Big Ten Conference. He is third in scoring in conference games with an average of 16.4 ppg. He has led the team in scoring six times this season including a game-high 20 points in the loss at Wisconsin and a career-high 41 against Memphis.

• Andre & Austin Hollins are a lethal combination from behind the arc for the Gophers. Austin is 17-of-34 (.500) from three-point land in Big Ten play, tied for third in the conference. Dre Hollins is 18-of-37 (.486) in Big Ten play - sixth in the B1G - and is on a current 71-139 stretch (.511) since beginning the season 14-of-48.

• Trevor Mbakwe is averaging a double-double of 11.7 points and 11.4 rebounds per game over the Gophers' last seven games - all conference matchups. He currently sits atop the Big Ten Conference in rebounding with an overall average of 8.7 rpg. Mbakwe also led the conference in rebounding as a junior (2010-11). The graduate student has contributed seven double-doubles on the season and now has 30 for his career. He is on a current seven-game double-digit rebound streak, including 16 boards at Northwestern.   

• Tubby Smith will enter the matchup with Nebraska with a record of 118-73 in Gold Country. His 118 wins on the Gopher sideline is tied with Dan Monson for sixth-most on the Gophers' win list. O.B. Cowles is fifth with 147 career wins.