Football redshirt and transfer rules

The NCAA has changed the redshirt and transfer rules for football. I wonder how long until they make changes that affect college basketball, too.

The new redshirt rule allows a player to play in up to 4 games and still take a redshirt for that season.

The new transfer rule allows student athletes to notify a school of a transfer rather than ask permission to transfer...thus this takes away the School's right to block transfers to other schools.

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

The NCAA has changed the redshirt and transfer rules for football. I wonder how long until they make changes that affect college basketball, too.

The new redshirt rule allows a player to play in up to 4 games and still take a redshirt for that season.

The new transfer rule allows student athletes to notify a school of a transfer rather than ask permission to transfer...thus this takes away the School's right to block transfers to other schools.

For football I would like to see it at 3 games instead of 4.  I do like the rule.  As for the transfer rule, not sure I like the idea of the big dogs being able to pilfer the lower teams which could happen without some  ability for schools to block some moves.  

We have gotten so far away from what School Sports probably should be....i think when they first started interscholastic competition...we just expected kids to represent the schools at which they were studying and if they happened to transfer to another school to pursue their studying, they would just represent that school.

I know we are no longer in that era, but it's kind of too bad.....

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

We have gotten so far away from what School Sports probably should be....i think when they first started interscholastic competition...we just expected kids to represent the schools at which they were studying and if they happened to transfer to another school to pursue their studying, they would just represent that school.

I know we are no longer in that era, but it's kind of too bad.....

I'm not sure we've been in that sort of era in a century. Knute Rockne was notorious for pulling kids out of steel mills to play football, and there was no policing organization to make sure that schools followed rules. Boosters "employed" athletes during Devaney's time and slipped money under the table, as they did at any other top football school. Basketball has had documented point shaving since at least 1950 and other scandals.

While it may have gotten worse, the main thing is that all of this is reported so much today. So maybe we grew up not hearing about it so much, but bigtime college sports have never really had anything to do with education. It's a minor league sports system, and the schools leverage the success of their program to get donations from alums and sell themselves to prospective students. 

It is what it is, and while it's a questionable system, I probably donate more to DONU when the teams do well. ?

"The recruiting of the American college athlete, be it active or passive, professional or nonprofessional, has reached proportions of nationwide commerce. In spite of the efforts of not a few teachers and principals who have comprehended its dangers, its effect on the character of the schoolboy has been profoundly deleterious. It's influence upon the nature and quality of American higher education has been no less noxious. The element that demoralizes is the subsidy, the monetary or material advantage that is used to attract the schoolboy athlete" — written by the Carnegie Foundation in 1929.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

For football I would like to see it at 3 games instead of 4.  I do like the rule.  As for the transfer rule, not sure I like the idea of the big dogs being able to pilfer the lower teams which could happen without some  ability for schools to block some moves.  

For Nebraska football, I think this rule will be remarkably good for us.  We're a big brand, but we probably won't bring in Top 10 recruiting classes every year (though I wouldn't put it entirely past Frost and co.).  This means we'll occasionally have room for the 4* and 5* guys riding the bench at, say, Ohio State to be able to transfer in-conference.  In other words, no one is going to have to leave Nebraska football for "better exposure" somewhere else, and we'll almost always have room for those players--particularly on defense--here.  

For basketball, I think Miles might be preparing our program to be in a similar position.  We aren't a big brand, but if we are a perennial top 40 team, we might be able to lure that sort of talent here as well.  The fact we were able to hang on to Copeland when he probably could've transferred to a contender tells me a lot about how things have changed (and Copeland's character, obviously).  

Ultimately, I think this will be a way bigger deal for football as an unfathomable number of players are already transferring yearly in basketball.  I'm actually hoping the redshirt playing time leniency will result in less transfers happening and more security/depth for teams who experience injuries.  

People are talking about coaches taking advantage of the rule by playing them in certain big games through out the season to get an advantage and still have them for four more years. I don’t see that happening a lot. If they are difference makers as freshmen they will be played full time. If they are that good and you only play them four games their freshman year they aren’t going to be spending 5 years in college anyway. 

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

For Nebraska football, I think this rule will be remarkably good for us.  We're a big brand, but we probably won't bring in Top 10 recruiting classes every year (though I wouldn't put it entirely past Frost and co.).  This means we'll occasionally have room for the 4* and 5* guys riding the bench at, say, Ohio State to be able to transfer in-conference.  In other words, no one is going to have to leave Nebraska football for "better exposure" somewhere else, and we'll almost always have room for those players--particularly on defense--here.  

For basketball, I think Miles might be preparing our program to be in a similar position.  We aren't a big brand, but if we are a perennial top 40 team, we might be able to lure that sort of talent here as well.  The fact we were able to hang on to Copeland when he probably could've transferred to a contender tells me a lot about how things have changed (and Copeland's character, obviously).  

Ultimately, I think this will be a way bigger deal for football as an unfathomable number of players are already transferring yearly in basketball.  I'm actually hoping the redshirt playing time leniency will result in less transfers happening and more security/depth for teams who experience injuries.  

I wasn't thinking we would suffer from the transfer world.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

One thing I would like to see is the rule reworded to say can play in up to the FIRST 4 games of the season and decide to redshirt.  

I actually think they intentionally left it at 4 games (any 4 games), so if a team needs a back up due to injury in game 11 of the season and a player is pressed into duty, they don't burn up a year of eligibility.

Had Harrison Beck been a stud, it would have been a shame that he played a half dozen plays when two QBs ahead of him got hurt....

or if they do this in basketball...the 25 seconds that Velander played for Collier cost him a year of eligibility.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, Blindcheck said:

I actually think they intentionally left it at 4 games (any 4 games), so if a team needs a back up due to injury in game 11 of the season and a player is pressed into duty, they don't burn up a year of eligibility.

Had Harrison Beck been a stud, it would have been a shame that he played a half dozen plays when two QBs ahead of him got hurt....

or if they do this in basketball...the 25 seconds that Velander played for Collier cost him a year of eligibility.

Exactly.  It's intentional that it's not just the first four games.  

On 6/15/2018 at 10:44 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm not sure we've been in that sort of era in a century. Knute Rockne was notorious for pulling kids out of steel mills to play football, and there was no policing organization to make sure that schools followed rules...

I've only ever read that claim from one person -- Fieding Yost.  And Yost was openly anti-Catholic throughout his tenure at Michigan, so that's a pretty unreliable source.

On 6/17/2018 at 6:23 PM, hskr4life said:

I agree.  Same with Thor.  Would had been nice had they made the decision to redshirt instead of play. 

Maybe they will make a 33.3% rule and apply it retroactively...kinda like football % wise.

If it is good in the future, it should be good in the past.

Edited by trickey