Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Huskerpapa

Rivalry

Recommended Posts

I thought I would attempt to start a new topic in order to generate some off-season banter.

 

Who is our current number one rival in basketball?  Why?

 

Who historically would you consider our most intense basketball  rivalry, and why?  Also, do you believe that opponent thought we were their number one rival?

 

Here is my initial opinion,  and I am hoping someone(s) can otherise connect me.  We currently, and historically have not had a true basketball rivalry.  While in the Big XII, we may look at KU, KSU or Missouri, but those three teams likely would not have considered Nebraska as a rivalry game.  I guess I could consider Iowa State, but it seems to me that their true rivalry game is Iowa.

 

Is it our lack of history that sort of makes me think that we really have never had a true heated rival in basketball?  Colorado once declared Nebraska as their football rival, and many Nebraska fans scoffed at the declaration,  at least in part because they were not all that good when the proclamation was made.

 

Regardless,  I through this open for discussion...or not.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it has or will become  F-Iowa.   Truly a low life form and it pains me to even mention the word.  

 

Would have no problem with it being F-Creighton, but lately it hasn't been competitive enough to call it a rivalry.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a period of time that our most heated rival was whoever Dana Altman was coaching.  While he was at KSU, we seemed to be battling with them year after year for the 4/5 seed in the Big 8 tourney.  Back then, we didn't really care so much about that other team he coached.  Then, when he took over Creighton, he put a big target on our backs and their fans followed suit.  He left but their fans stayed, and so CU continues to treat this as a rivalry game.  

Edited by Norm Peterson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's easily Creighton.  It has to be.  The fan bases absolutely despise each other, there is always smack talk, and neither wants to see the other succeed.  Yeah, it has been mostly Creighton lately, but teams don't have to trade wins for it to be a rivalry.  You just need a passionate fanbase with an all time hate and we have that for Creighton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is hard for me to accept a team as a rival that is not a member of our conference.  

 

I am also not convince the vast majority of the two fan bases hate each other.  Perhaps a fraction of each fan base does.  But then again, I may be totally off base.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's easily Creighton. The hate is real between each fan base, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I compare our rivalry with Creighton to the Xavier Cincinnati rivalry. Both are also in different conferences, but if you asked each fan base who they their rival is they would say each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its Creighton, But personally Ive never hated anything more in my life then the original Jayskers--Kansas basketball.   I started buying Kansas football t shirts to wear in the fall just to piss those same husker football fans.  And all those stupid teams with Boschee, Hinrich, and Jaque Vaughn and Collison and Adonis Jordan and plenty others that have scarred me for life..kidding..kinda

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... I *actually* hate Creighton.  McDermott had a chance to win me over before he endorsed his own dirty players (which would indicate starting a fight with TP was following orders).  

 

I'm fine with Iowa being a conference rival.  I hate their football program.  They annoy me in a similar way that Creighton basketball always has--by reveling in their mediocrity just because Nebraska happens to suck more.  Football will start destroying Iowa every season, probably starting next year.  

 

As for basketball, this isn't 14-15.  We were better than CU last year, outplayed them, and got jobbed by the officials.

 

We're going to kick their ass this year.  I've never made that claim before.  It's going to be a big deal for the program and Miles.  For TM especially, talk about a benchmark.  I think we'll trade wins with them for years to come after this season, and NU will evolve into a perennial top 40 program similar to CU.  

 

As much as I loathe the B1G conference for football, I absolutely love the conference in basketball.  There are so many good coaches in this league, and all the teams improve throughout the year, so it's hard for me to hate anyone.  I probably dislike Fran the most, though, so that works out well.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Yeah... I *actually* hate Creighton.  McDermott had a chance to win me over before he endorsed his own dirty players (which would indicate starting a fight with TP was following orders).  

 

I'm fine with Iowa being a conference rival.  I hate their football program.  They annoy me in a similar way that Creighton basketball always has--by reveling in their mediocrity just because Nebraska happens to suck more.  Football will start destroying Iowa every season, probably starting next year.  

 

As for basketball, this isn't 14-15.  We were better than CU last year, outplayed them, and got jobbed by the officials.

 

We're going to kick their ass this year.  I've never made that claim before.  It's going to be a big deal for the program and Miles.  For TM especially, talk about a benchmark.  I think we'll trade wins with them for years to come after this season, and NU will evolve into a perennial top 40 program similar to CU.  

 

As much as I loathe the B1G conference for football, I absolutely love the conference in basketball.  There are so many good coaches in this league, and all the teams improve throughout the year, so it's hard for me to hate anyone.  I probably dislike Fran the most, though, so that works out well.  

 

 

 

I hope the bolded above is true.  I 100% do.  Man oh man, it would be huge.  If the above does happen and we are up by 10 late in the game, I want us to try and get that baby to 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fer sure Creighton, but there was a time when Kansas would have taken the top spot when both of us fielded winning squads. On the other end, Colorado, when we would "battle it out" for that last spot in the Big 8...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little Off topic and didn’t want to waste space by quoting LK.  He said it is hard to hate anyone because the coaches are so good and teams get better all year.  I agree.  This is why it sucks when conference digs a hole in rpi early in year as it cannot be improved during league and the wins are so much better than the perception.  Exactly why we missed dance last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

It is hard for me to accept a team as a rival that is not a member of our conference.  

 

I am also not convince the vast majority of the two fan bases hate each other.  Perhaps a fraction of each fan base does.  But then again, I may be totally off base.

 

Then consider me a fraction.  

 

Actually, I don't have a problem with a pure Creighton fan.    But I despise the Jaysker.    I know someone who has the audacity to state "we" when talking about Husker football, yet he hates Husker basketball and cheers for us to lose in all games, not just the Creighton game.   Makes no sense.   Down with the Jaysker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HB said:

 

Then consider me a fraction.  

 

Actually, I don't have a problem with a pure Creighton fan.    But I despise the Jaysker.    I know someone who has the audacity to state "we" when talking about Husker football, yet he hates Husker basketball and cheers for us to lose in all games, not just the Creighton game.   Makes no sense.   Down with the Jaysker. 

 

I'm aware I'm in the minority on this opinion and always have been...but I've honestly never cared if you like the football team but not the basketball team because who am I to say who you can or can't root for? I don't agree with it, but I don't care if you do it. Maybe it's because I'm around a lot of fans here in Omaha that do just that. Grew up going to Husker football games, but Creighton bball games instead of Husker bball games. A lot of grade schools (especially parochial schools) here in Omaha give out free Creighton tickets to students and it makes them grow up liking Creighton bball. Are they just supposed to flip the switch and hate them if they also like the football team, or end up attending UNL? Again...I don't agree with it...but I can understand why it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

 

I hope the bolded above is true.  I 100% do.  Man oh man, it would be huge.  If the above does happen and we are up by 10 late in the game, I want us to try and get that baby to 20.

And then 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

I'm aware I'm in the minority on this opinion and always have been...but I've honestly never cared if you like the football team but not the basketball team because who am I to say who you can or can't root for? I don't agree with it, but I don't care if you do it. Maybe it's because I'm around a lot of fans here in Omaha that do just that. Grew up going to Husker football games, but Creighton bball games instead of Husker bball games. A lot of grade schools (especially parochial schools) here in Omaha give out free Creighton tickets to students and it makes them grow up liking Creighton bball. Are they just supposed to flip the switch and hate them if they also like the football team, or end up attending UNL? Again...I don't agree with it...but I can understand why it happens.

 

   Your scenario explains certain Omaha people liking Creighton hoops     Not the hate and d-bag actions toward  Husker hoops, when they choose to support the home state football team.     Screw the sweater vests; got no use for 'em.    My favorite basketball team other than the Huskers is whoever plays Creighton, and usually whoever plays Iowa.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×