Hmmmm.

I would guess, that despite the angst displayed by a portion of the Husker fan base, Power 5 interest will remain.  I do believe Coach Miles will have options following this season. But of course, the Husker administration will have options as well.

Interesting that despite the lack of abundant support from his ADs the past 3 years(deserved or not; not trying to open up that discussion), Tim is still being Tim publicly, and is still very supportive of the local scene.    Interesting that his daughter is going to attend UNL.   And Coach represented Saturday night in Hebron at the Cattlemen's Ball, making a $5k donation.    Was back at it last night at the Git R' Done Foundation event, making another sizable donation at the auction.     Taking the high road. 

21 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I would believe he had opportunities to leave after year 2 or even year 3?  

I doubt he has had any power 5 opportunities since....

If he takes this team to the dance and wins Nebraska's first ever NCAA tournament game, you'll be amazed by how many P5 opportunities he'll have, and they'll be amazed by the bargain-basement buyout figure.

My god.... sounds like a bitter man who’s preparing to be let go. 

Dude - the fans pack your arena every single night to support you and your team. And you’ve gone .500 and haven’t won a tourney game or anything of note. Chill with the chicken little crap.

edit: I was just reading the comments from the article. Very misleading article, sort of sensationalized the tone of the actual interview. My apologies. I will leave my OP up to confirm my lack of intelligence. 

Edited by basketballjones

I must have been listening to a different interview.  :Redface:

I agree with Dimes and thought it was a very good interview. What stood out to me was that Miles was, I thought, quite straight-forward. 

Two things I found intriguing  were 1):  A desire to coach At Nebraska, for whatever reason; close to his native home in South Dakota, Lincoln being a great place to to live and raise his family, and Nebraska a good place to coach (re other P5 offers, I remember following the NCAA tournament run we were all so worried that someone else would swoop in and steal our coach away).   The other thing was Miles admitting he thought that he was a different coach from the beginning of his stint here; i.e. learning and progressing during his tenure.    I had been thinking that Miles was not an especially young coach, having been a head coach for 20 years, and had likely achieved his peak.  Then I read somewhere that Tom Izzo had been in coaching for about 40 years, since 1979 (John  Beilein since 1978). Maybe Tim Miles has a lot of room yet to grow.

10 minutes ago, Red Don said:

I must have been listening to a different interview. 

That's because @basketballjones hasn't actually listened to it yet ?

The quote was a part of a response to Gaskin's question on whether he was coaching for his job.

He stated that he wanted to be the long term coach at Nebraska and the comment about other opportunities seemed like proof that he was in this for the long run. If he's putting his money where his mouth is in this regard we won't need to worry about that buyout if he does put it together this year.

52 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

He also said "I want to be the long-term solution at Nebraska."

I think everybody wants that.  Miles engages the fanbase, sells the program.  There is real no reason not to like the guy from a personable standpoint.  It just boils down to can he take the program to the next level.  It seems like we say this every year but it's hard not to see this upcoming year as do or die for Miles future at Nebraska.   

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I think everybody wants that.  Miles engages the fanbase, sells the program.  There is real no reason not to like the guy from a personable standpoint.  It just boils down to can he take the program to the next level.  It seems like we say this every year but it's hard not to see this upcoming year as do or die for Miles future at Nebraska.   

And Miles basically said as much in the interview with the "I have been on the hook for three years now" comment.  He knows how important winning this year could mean for him.

Face it.  Nebraska is a hard job in basketball.  Miles can do better but it’s not going to be easy.  Expectations may be higher than can be delivered for the coming season.  Miles and his staff have to do a better job identifying, protecting and developing talent, especially home state talent.  The Daum, Patton’s, Coopers cannot be missed or surrendered to Creighton.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he takes this team to the dance and wins Nebraska's first ever NCAA tournament game, you'll be amazed by how many P5 opportunities he'll have, and they'll be amazed by the bargain-basement buyout figure.

I would even say he could leverage those offers to a long term contract or even accept one of those offers.

That is the kind of leverage that a coach needs to get long term security....and it is the risk that Moos takes by not extending Miles longer than 1 year after this last season.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Well, if he had to pick a do-or-die season, this one would be the roster he'd want to have to do or die with.

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, if he had to pick a do-or-die season, this one would be the roster he'd want to have to do or die with.

It's a little curious just how much he's loading up on high-level P5's though.  Seems like a bit of a gamble, but OTOH you gotta respect him for staying committed to his principles in that he really wants to avoid shortcuts in building his program.  Could bite him in the butt or it could pay off very handsomely.  This coming season is going to be really interesting for sure!

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Amen to that.  It's a truly perfect storm.  I think the season ends with clarity one way or the other, and TM deserves a shot to coach a bunch this talented.  What more could anyone--TM, Moos, fans--ask for as a judgement call on whether TM is the man moving forward?  This season is justice either way.  

8 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I disagree that everybody wants him to succeed.  There are plenty of people that have already made up their mind he isn't the guy to get it done & therefore will only say negative things just so they can yell & scream "I told you so" when it is finally obvious to all that he isn't the answer.  I think all of these fans reside on Red Sea Scrolls.

9 hours ago, dskurz said:

I disagree that everybody wants him to succeed.  There are plenty of people that have already made up their mind he isn't the guy to get it done & therefore will only say negative things just so they can yell & scream "I told you so" when it is finally obvious to all that he isn't the answer.  I think all of these fans reside on Red Sea Scrolls.

Sadly I think you are correct.  However, RSS doesn't corner the market on said folks.  247 has it's share.

17 hours ago, 49r said:

It's a little curious just how much he's loading up on high-level P5's though.  Seems like a bit of a gamble, but OTOH you gotta respect him for staying committed to his principles in that he really wants to avoid shortcuts in building his program.  Could bite him in the butt or it could pay off very handsomely.  This coming season is going to be really interesting for sure!

He has a roster good enough to knock off some good teams.  We might lose some, but we'll win some, too.

As last year proved, quality matters and just winning games isn't enough.  Hate to be left out again because we don't have enough good wins because we didn't have enough opportunities to get them.  We need to control our own destiny and not leave it in the hands of a selection committee trying to sort out bubble teams.

It's like the difference between standing at the plate, bottom of the 9th with 2 down and 2 strikes, and taking a swing versus watching a called 3rd strike.  You have to take a swing to have a chance at a hit.  Miles is swinging for the bleachers.  

10 hours ago, dskurz said:

I would say those people aren't fans then.  It's in Nebraska's best interest that we kick ass this year and finally make Nebrasketball history in the big dance.  Assuming we have no major injuries, this upcoming year is the best chance we have had since god knows when.