18-19 depth

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Brady is a good, smart young player, and will likely end up a very, very good upperclassman.  I'd have zero problems with him skipping the redshirt.  He is skilled enough to contribute.  I assume his weight is enough to back up Cope at the 4.  

Think he needs about 20-25 more pounds. I think in May someone posted something with some before/after stats of a training program. His 'after' weight was listed at 202 lbs

11 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

From what I've heard, Lee must have showed up at Brady's best workout of the summer because he's been struggling mightily against Roby, Copeland and Borchardt. I'd say he probably still needs that redshirt year. 

I will go on record and opine that it will be crazy if Brady does not redshirt.  Mikki Moore comes to mind.

12 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

From what I've heard, Lee must have showed up at Brady's best workout of the summer because he's been struggling mightily against Roby, Copeland and Borchardt. I'd say he probably still needs that redshirt year. 

Perhaps he does some promising things offensively but can’t cut it on defense yet. 

I look at Redshirts as what would be best for  both the team and the player...no redshirt this year and reserve minutes in 2018-2019 vs starter minutes in 2022-2023?

No guarantees that Brady will be stud, but you give up that opportunity by playing him 8 minutes a game this year for possible 28 minutes a year as a 5th year senior if he becomes what we all want him to be.

4 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

I look at Redshirts as what would be best for  both the team and the player...no redshirt this year and reserve minutes in 2018-2019 vs starter minutes in 2022-2023?

No guarantees that Brady will be stud, but you give up that opportunity by playing him 8 minutes a game this year for possible 28 minutes a year as a 5th year senior if he becomes what we all want him to be.

Frank Kaminsky played 7.7min a game as a true freshman and averaged 1pt and 1rb.  Started his career at 6'10" 220lbs and ended up weighing around 235lbs.  I think Heiman is a very, very similar player at the same age.  That 7-8min span can be a huge help at the 4 and doesn't fudge up the roles of other players.  Again, I'm definitely not saying he should play for certain, but I've seen enough to get the rationale for rolling him out there "incomplete" so to speak.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Frank Kaminsky played 7.7min a game as a true freshman and averaged 1pt and 1rb.  Started his career at 6'10" 220lbs and ended up weighing around 235lbs.  I think Heiman is a very, very similar player at the same age.  That 7-8min span can be a huge help at the 4 and doesn't fudge up the roles of other players.  Again, I'm definitely not saying he should play for certain, but I've seen enough to get the rationale for rolling him out there "incomplete" so to speak.  

I wish for the best for all Huskers but Kaminsky was the 9th overall pick in the NBA draft. To even mention Frank Kaminsky in this conversation is really unfair to Heiman by setting standards that he cannot hope to meet. He can have a hugely successful career here and not touch Kaminsky which I think is the best case scenario for him.

2 hours ago, LK1 said:

Frank Kaminsky played 7.7min a game as a true freshman and averaged 1pt and 1rb.  Started his career at 6'10" 220lbs and ended up weighing around 235lbs.  I think Heiman is a very, very similar player at the same age.  

But will he ever have a baseball field in Chicago named after him?

On 7/7/2018 at 7:37 AM, HuskerActuary said:

I don't subscribe to Huskers Online, but it looks like Robin is sharing some pretty optimistic notes. Wonder what he said.

Here are the cliff notes:

- Judging by the summer workouts, this is the most talented team that Robin has seen in his time covering Nebrasketball.

- If you had zero knowledge of the roster and watched the summer workouts, you would think Roby is our best player and top NBA prospect.

- Roby and Jordy will be fully healed by Fall practices

- Karrington Davis might not be academically eligible this year.  We should know more this week

- Dachon Burke is a relentless defender and will only make Palmer better while going against him in practice every day.

- This transfer year will be great for Burke to improve his outside shot and have a year of strength and conditioning under his belt.

- Amir Harris looks the part and is actually playing more off the ball than point guard.  His outside shot it his biggest weakness.

- Heiman has impressed so far but he probably still needs to redshirt.

- Glynn is shooting with much more confidence

- Thomas Allen looks a lot bigger in the upper body and will be relied on as a go-to three point shooter this year

- Nana has really impressed this summer with his aggressiveness on the offensive end

- Armon Gates is getting along really well with the players and coaches

- Robin's best guess at a starting lineup: Glynn, Tom Allen, JPJ, Copeland, Roby

If the Prep school was the issue, then the four or five other studs on that team would seemingly be affected as well.  I am wondering if his injury played a role.  Oh well, a redshirt year for both Brady and him may be for the best regardless.  It will be interesting watch all this play out.