18-19 depth

36 minutes ago, khoock said:

Watson, Copeland, Roby, and Palmer are locks to start. Each probably averaging 28-32 minutes over the course of the season. Maybe more depending on how the underclassmen develop.

That leaves 80 extra minutes left up for grabs. My guess is Jordy and Thomas Allen combine for 45 of those. Now you have 35 left over for Thor, Nana, Amir, Tanner, Karrington Davis, and Brady Heiman to duke it out over.

Should be some good practices.

That could be pretty close.

I feel like, as the roster stands now, we really need one of Amir, Thor or Nana to really step up and be unexpectedly good.  We have to replace 50 minutes per game between Evan Taylor and Anton Gill.  I think some of that is definitely going to come from Thomas Allen.  But, let's say TA gets 25 minutes/game.  That's still another 25 minutes that someone else has to be good enough to earn.

I think Thor is sneaky good on the offensive end and will get minutes if he can hold up on defense.  But he's not a lock-down defender like Evan Taylor. But neither, from what I've seen, is Nana.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

4 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I wouldn't put a number on it or even a place in the standings. The Big Ten should be significantly better than it was last year. NU could finish with 22 wins, 13 in conference, finish 6th in the conference and end up with a 6 seed in the dance. That'd be a pretty successful season.

I cant argue with any of that, I just have to believe THIS is the year the Basketball Gods smile on Lincoln...

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

That could be pretty close.

I feel like, as the roster stands now, we really need one of Amir, Thor or Nana to really step up and be unexpectedly good.  We have to replace 50 minutes per game between Evan Taylor and Anton Gill.  I think some of that is definitely going to come from Thomas Allen.  But, let's say TA gets 25 minutes/game.  That's still another 25 minutes that someone else has to be good enough to earn.

I think Thor is sneaky good on the offensive end and will get minutes if he can hold up on defense.  But he's not a lock-down defender like Evan Taylor. But neither, from what I've seen, is Nana.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I think yer right about Thor, & I think Heiman redshirts.

7 hours ago, kldm64 said:

This is assuming that nobody transfers.  I have the feeling we till may lose a player or two now that Copeland and Palmer are coming back. 

Maybe it could still happen but everyone really seems locked in.

I think it will be interesting to see how the scoring averages out. 4 different guys that can put up 15-20 any given night.

If I am Miles, I am preaching team ball over and over and over. Whats good for the team is good for the individual. Dont worry about your averages just focus on your weaknesses and the scouts will find you.

• 2 weeks later...

Like norm, I am anxious to see how we fill the Taylor gill minutes, although seems like closer to 40 than 50 without looking it up.  Really wish jack was still here.  I would feel more comfortable knowing we had him available for some minutes.  A grad transfer that can play would really help.  

I believe some of those minutes will be absorbed by James.  He mainly played the wing last year but he will split time between the 2 and 3 this season.  So between the PG and the 2 we have 80 minutes.  I could see the distribution looking something like this:

Glynn      28 minutes

Thomas  22 minutes

James     10 minutes

To be earned  20 minutes

There seems to be three or four viable candidates who can absorb/flourish with those minutes.  This off-season will help tell that story.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Won’t miss Jack at all.   With all 3 coming back, any potential role he had has evaporated 

also not worried too much about the two.  Gill and Taylor were nice surprises and solid players last year.   But let’s not make them into all conference guys.   Between Amir, Thor, Thomas, Nana and even Palmer due to the flexibility of Roby and Copeland, I’m not worried at all about those minutes 

the spot that I am concerned about is dubys spot.   Not that we can’t replace him but that we need someone better to push Jordy in the post    I have no doubt Roby still starts, but until Jordy elevates his game AND proves he can stay on the floor for extended minutes without foul trouble, we need another capable post 

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

If young guys bust we definitely miss jack and being thin inside we certainly could miss him.  To state in absolutes that we won’t miss him is borderline idiotic.  We aren’t deep right now.  He was at least capable of playing minutes.   

Of course..if they all bust.  But I don't think it's likely that we go 0-4 (even 5 with Davis).  And yes we're thin up front...but moreso at the 5.  That's where we need the help the most and he wasn't going to help a lot there.  Borchardt would've got more time there than him.    Case in point, if McVeigh was playing serious minutes for us this year....something went wrong.

Yes, I can go with that on the serious minutes part.  But as thin as we are at 4-5 it wouldn’t take much to go wrong.  I also probably value a guy that can stretch the floor over a Borchardt.  Just a more skilled player and I am about getting the best guys on the court over defined positions.  

On 6/14/2018 at 2:25 PM, royalfan said:

Yes, I can go with that on the serious minutes part.  But as thin as we are at 4-5 it wouldn’t take much to go wrong.  I also probably value a guy that can stretch the floor over a Borchardt.  Just a more skilled player and I am about getting the best guys on the court over defined positions.  

I think we have two very capable 4-men.  We maybe have one capable 5.   I think that's where we need the depth and McVeigh isn't capable of helping there.   He's a stretch 4 at best.

And that's assuming he's better than Heimann.

I'd agree on the defined positions to a point.   At some point you just need body types.   Is McVeigh a more skilled player than Borchardt?   Certainly.  Is it enough to overlook his physical shortcomings in playing a role outside his normal position(s)?   IMO, no.   Long story short....not sure he's a good enough shooter to warrant the lack of physicality at the 5.

Edited by nustudent

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

Real/theoretical question...how many players actually redshirt anymore? It just doesn't seem as common anymore.

If they would let players play in 10 games and redshirt, which is about the same % as they are allowing in football, last season Nana, Johnny, Malcolm and Thor would have redshirted.

8 minutes ago, trickey said:

If they would let players play in 10 games and redshirt, which is about the same % as they are allowing in football, last season Nana, Johnny, Malcolm and Thor would have redshirted.

And that might be the solution. If the use of redshirts are becoming less and less popular, maybe it's time to redefine what a redshirt is.

I believe multiple people have indicated Heiman was redshirting including Heiman.  So it will more shocking if he doesn't.  

It seems players are now saving their redshirts.  They can then leverage that redshirt year if/when they transfer.  It is proving to be effective about 600 to 800 times per year over that past few years.

Watson, Palmer, Roby, Copeland are locks to have high minutes and to average close to or in double figures points wise. Jordy and Tom are the next two in line. Tanner will be in the mix for PT and that is not me talking crazy, someone has to play big and go rebound the damn ball. From there I'd say it's between Amir, Nana, and Thor. Karrington will not play a ton, if ever, and barring an injury catastrophe Heiman should be redshirting. Yes he's long, but transitioning from Class B Basketball in Nebraska to Big Ten Basketball takes a little bit of time. 

The professional writers who provide us with their observations can confirm, but it is my understanding that the roster members are present and accounted for.  I just saw a short video on twitter, and one of our players was sporting glasses/goggles.   Not sure who; he didn't appear to be a returnee.

Edited by Huskerpapa