Costello Redshirt

28 minutes ago, MandRHusker said:

It is interesting that Costello redshirted. Do they expect him to contribute beyond as a practice player?

That's pretty typical for a walk-on who wasn't going to see any time as a freshman. He'll have the option to come and play that 5th year but if he's not really playing at all he can just graduate. Also I think as a walk-on he could transfer without penalty at any time so he still has 4 years left.

I will not go so far to say that this young man will be a regular contributor, especially this coming season.   Yet if you came to the preseason open event last year, you witnessed a kid that can shoot the three.  He finished second to Jack in the three point shooting contest.  He has a real sweet stroke.  So could we see him on the court? Sure, but it will likely be limited minutes; at least for now.

He's one of the best shooters on the team.  He's probably not athletic enough to score big minutes at this level, and he'll give something up on defense, but if there was 5 seconds left in regulation and you're down three with the ball out of bounds, I might draw up a play that involves him as one of the options.  He has NBA range.

Definitely a dark horse to contribute.  He was dunking in games at 6'2" in high school.  I think he has D1 skills and enough lateral quickness, and definitely an excellent shooter.  His straight line speed may be his biggest issue, but he's a gamer.  It'd be interesting to see what he could do with some real minutes.  

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

Definitely a dark horse to contribute.  He was dunking in games at 6'2" in high school.  I think he has D1 skills and enough lateral quickness, and definitely an excellent shooter.  His straight line speed may be his biggest issue, but he's a gamer.  It'd be interesting to see what he could do with some real minutes.  

I'm going to disagree on the lateral quickness part. Defense was definitely his biggest weakness in high school. He struggles to stay in front of guys. He's strong though and actually does have pretty good explosion with a lane to the basket. He's a guy who can hit tough shots and is pretty good running off screens and elevating for jumpers.

2 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I'm going to disagree on the lateral quickness part. Defense was definitely his biggest weakness in high school. He struggles to stay in front of guys. He's strong though and actually does have pretty good explosion with a lane to the basket. He's a guy who can hit tough shots and is pretty good running off screens and elevating for jumpers.

I agree with this. I do think I like his upside a little more than Trueblood. Johnny seemed to be better attacking the rim but not sure if he will ever be able to do that at this level without having a knock down jumper like Costello.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

That's definitely fair.  Seemed like he had a knack for steals/blocks/was around the ball often but you're definitely right in that this doesn't mean lateral quickness.