Nebraska Football 2018-2019

I haven't seen anyone else point this out, but there's a delicious irony in us getting a recruit to flip from Kentucky.  Especially considering that his primary recruiter at Kentucky was Vince Marrow.

Remember when Mike Stoops was first hired there and lured Vince Marrow away from our coaching staff?  Fine, Vince was just a GA for us and was offered a full-time assistantship with Kentucky.  No hard feelings there.  And, yeah, he also took his kid with him.  Kid wants to play for his dad, fine.  But then he also took THIS COMMIT from us on his way out the door.

So, turnabout is fair play as far as I'm concerned.

Can't believe no one else has brought this up yet.  Assuming someone has and I just missed it, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Safety McWilson decommits from NU via twitter after almost a full year of being committed.

And switches to Kentucky just days before signing day.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-safety-mcwilson-decommits-from-nu/article_3676914a-77e8-5602-a62d-ef983300ea95.html

#TurnAboutIsFairPlay

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Safety McWilson decommits from NU via twitter after almost a full year of being committed.

And switches to Kentucky just days before signing day.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-safety-mcwilson-decommits-from-nu/article_3676914a-77e8-5602-a62d-ef983300ea95.html

#TurnAboutIsFairPlay

Oh man, you had me confused for a minute.  I thought this was a current year recruit that I hadn't remembered.  Whew. 

That said, I love the fact that we stayed engaged with Wandale and kept after him.  I know that when news broke that Wandale chose Kentucky there was a lot of dirt being thrown out there about Kentucky providing payment and so forth.  Our staff kept it clean and kept after the kid.  Love to see that.

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

Oh man, you had me confused for a minute.  I thought this was a current year recruit that I hadn't remembered.  Whew. 

That said, I love the fact that we stayed engaged with Wandale and kept after him.  I know that when news broke that Wandale chose Kentucky there was a lot of dirt being thrown out there about Kentucky providing payment and so forth.  Our staff kept it clean and kept after the kid.  Love to see that.

Fighting until the very end... just like our team.  Great mentality all the way around.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Didn't we have a QB or RB or something transfer to UK once?  I seem to recall something like that.

Yes. Courtney Love was here on campus and was recruited away by Vince Marrow, went to Kentucky and then the NFL.  That's in addition to the DB they stole.

So, I don't care to hear anything from Kentucky fans complaining about us stealing Wandale Robinson. Didn't seem to bother them when they were taking players from us.

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yes. Courtney Love was here on campus and was recruited away by Vince Marrow, went to Kentucky and then the NFL.  That's in addition to the DB they stole.

So, I don't care to hear anything from Kentucky fans complaining about us stealing Wandale Robinson. Didn't seem to bother them when they were taking players from us.

didn't she kill Kurt Cobain?

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

@49r - It was Braylon Heard, the running back. He left NU to go to UK due to V. Marrow.

Edited by AuroranHusker

Courtney was a two year starter for Kentucky, but was undrafted after college and went to the Cleveland Brown mini-camp and was cut loose.  He is a graduate assistant for the Wildcats now.  Braylon Heard played at Kentucky and then left after declaring for the NFL draft.  I believe he went to Pittsburgh as an undrafted free agent, but I don't believe he played a down.  I am not sure what he is up to now.

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've been looking and I still haven't seen anyone anywhere else point out that Vince Marrow, the recruiter for Kentucky on Wandale Robinson whom we flipped, was a GA for us that took a job at Kentucky and took a number of our players/recruits with him when he left. 

That's karma, amiright?

Yep, Normy. It's sweet, sweet success by Frosty & Co.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've been looking and I still haven't seen anyone anywhere else point out that Vince Marrow, the recruiter for Kentucky on Wandale Robinson whom we flipped, was a GA for us that took a job at Kentucky and took a number of our players/recruits with him when he left. 

That's karma, amiright?

I know that on the 93.7 The Ticket program "Happer and Stephens" they mentioned Marrow was the lead recruiter for Robinson, and that he had been a GA for us.  Don't believe they said anything about the recruits/players that followed him to UK. 

Edited by mwm89

10 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Does anyone know for sure why JUCO DT Tony Fair is no longer being recruited by the NU football staff?  He was offered a scholarship and he committed back in the summer I believe.  He says he took care of his academic requirements.

It is my understanding that we are still interested, but his academic requirements are not yet fulfilled.  I believe we are possibly still interested when those requirements are met, but we are recruiting others that are in better stead.  Note, Tony Fair says he has completed his requirements, but our staff goes to the school and asks the administrators if the requirements are met, if those administrators do not provide confirmation, then we may be chasing a potential ineligible player.  

Has anyone else watched Last Chance U on Netfilx?  If not, and you have time on your hands, it is worth watching.  The ebbs and flows of the life of JUCO players are pretty well documented.

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

It is my understanding that we are still interested, but his academic requirements are not yet fulfilled.  I believe we are possibly still interested when those requirements are met, but we are recruiting others that are in better stead.  Note, Tony Fair says he has completed his requirements, but our staff goes to the school and asks the administrators if the requirements are met, if those administrators do not provide confirmation, then we may be chasing a potential ineligible player.  

Has anyone else watched Last Chance U on Netfilx?  If not, and you have time on your hands, it is worth watching.  The ebbs and flows of the life of JUCO players are pretty well documented.

Thanks "HP".  I happened to notice that his name was no longer on the commitment list provided by huskeronline.com and that there was an article about him there recently.  I don't have a subscription so was not able to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day on the recruiting front.  Picking up Robinson a few moments ago was a good final bow.  I watched the TV announcement for the Lakeland Florida trio.  And they all went to Florida.  We had one kid in that group, and honestly, he will not play this coming season as he needs to put on mass.  I believe his name was Somerall or something like that.

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

Good day on the recruiting front.  Picking up Robinson a few moments ago was a good final bow.  I watched the TV announcement for the Lakeland Florida trio.  And they all went to Florida.  We had one kid in that group, and honestly, he will not play this coming season as he needs to put on mass.  I believe his name was Somerall or something like that.

I read a lot of tweets that basically said it was Florida or Miami between that one.  So picking up the other three is huge.  Especially Robinson who chose NU over Bama, Oregon, and Someone else.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I read a lot of tweets that basically said it was Florida or Miami between that one.  So picking up the other three is huge.  Especially Robinson who chose NU over Bama, Oregon, and Someone else.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

His the dude who's dad was in a Florida uniform.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

It was Bama, Oregon, Stanford, and USC. That's a pretty salty group of 4 squads that NU beat out for Ty Robinson.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, hskr4life said:

Yeah, Summerall didn't even have an NU cap on the table.

A really nice haul on the recruiting front.  Just need to find a good OLB, DB and D lineman.  Plus Bland to qualify and come here.

Edited by mwm89

• 3 weeks later...