Amir Harris is N

21 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If Thor can get his shot grooved, he's a lot lot better with the ball than Nana.  

I didn't word this very well.  Thor is a lot better with the ball than Nana, whether he gets his shot grooved or not.  

But, IF Thor gets his shot grooved, he'll have a very well-rounded offensive game.  I give Thor better odds of grooving his shot than Nana developing the ball skills that Thor has.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:37 PM, Swan88 said:

In his freshman season, Roby hit 4 of 20 threes for a .200 percentage.  This past season he shot 17 of 42 threes for a .405 percentage.  At that rate of improvement, he should be over .800 next season.

I could see more of an incremental increase (.61) instead of an exponential increase (.80). ;)

Highlights tend to feature what a player is really good at and tend to avoid showing things a player isn't very good at.  They fill the highlight reel with what good things the kid does a lot of.  And so, you don't see a lot of Amir taking jumpers.  That probably tells us something.

That being said, things I like about Amir's film:

I'm thinking the kid can play pretty solid defense.  How many HS kids' recruiting film shows them playing a lot of defense?  This kid really anticipates well and gets in the passing lanes.  Reminds me of Cooke Belcher for those who remember how Cookie played D.  He also shows quick hands coming up with loose balls.  That's innate.  Amir also blocks a lot of shots. Oh, yeah, well, you say, he might be able to block high school kids' shots, but that doesn't mean he'll do those things in college.  That's true.  But look at the way he challenges jump shooters.  That kind of attitude does translate.  

For a 6'5" kid, he's pretty explosive taking the ball to the rim, seems to have good court vision, handles the ball well, has a good cross-over, and changes direction pretty well.

I concede that Xavier looks like he has better straight-line speed.  But Amir is pretty explosive himself, which is evident on some of those throw-down dunks.

I'm hoping/expecting the kid will develop that shot.  But he's got a lot of other tools that I don't think we got sloppy seconds out of those deal.  In fact, we might have gotten the better end of this deal.

Seniors: G James Palmer, F Isaac Copeland, PG Glynn Watson.

Juniors: F Isaiah Roby, C Jordy Tshimanga, G-F Dachon Burke.

Sophomores: G Thomas Allen, G-F Nana Akenten, G-F Thorir Thorbjarnarson.

Freshmen: PG-SG Amir Harris, G-F Karrington Davis, F Brady Heiman.

I don’t think this is anything to scoff at. Need a newcomer or two to be able to contribute. Recruiting after the season will be huge. Is this season more pivotal than last? I think so. It’s scary how much experience is gone in a year.

16 hours ago, unl said:

I don’t think this is anything to scoff at. Need a newcomer or two to be able to contribute. Recruiting after the season will be huge. Is this season more pivotal than last? I think so. It’s scary how much experience is gone in a year.

If this is indeed our rooster next year, we should be able to do some damage.  Still don't know yet is Copeland and/or Palmer will return and if some players might still transfer.  Looks good now but still a long ways to go to know if this will be the players on the floor next year.

Edited by kldm64

12 hours ago, unl said:

If we can find another big guy for the future then this is the kinda roster that puts you in the upper half of the big ten for the next 3-4 years. Long,athletic,a couple shooters, a few slashers, just need another future post or stretch 4

42 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

This this indeed is our rooster this year, we should be able to do some damage.  Still don't know yet is Copeland and/or Palmer will return and if some players might still transfer.  Looks good now but still a long ways to go to know if this will be the players on the floor next year.

Your keyboard thinks it's a Monday or something.

Cock-a-doodle-doo.

22 hours ago, unl said:

If everyone stays - which may very well happen - it's a Sweet Sixteen-caliber roster. The best roster in many, many, many years.

Miles' challenge will be recruiting the 2019 freshmen for the early signing period on the promise of what that roster will do, not what it has done. (Because the kids sign before the season.) 

6 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I am not ready to go that far yet, I still think Gill & Taylor will be tough to replace.  Taylor for leadership and defense and Gill for his 3 point threat but hopefully young guys can step up.  Just hoping we see a big jump from Jordy because that could really make a difference for us next year!!

I think their defense will probably be harder to replace because both guys fell off in conference. Gill shot 24-77 (31.2%) from 3 and Taylor turned into a taller but worse shooting Benny Parker. While he's not quite as long if Thomas Allen has the defensive end figured out we'll be sitting well.

34 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I think their defense will probably be harder to replace because both guys fell off in conference. Gill shot 24-77 (31.2%) from 3 and Taylor turned into a taller but worse shooting Benny Parker. While he's not quite as long if Thomas Allen has the defensive end figured out we'll be sitting well.

I think Allen will really benefit from Harris having good size.  Miles will not have to worry as much about playing two short guards at the same time causing match up problems.

35 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

I looked at this the other day.  It's actually worse than that for Anton.  Anton missed the first 2 games of the season, so he only played in 31 games on the year.

In his first 16 games (roughly half the season), Anton shot 37 of 80 from beyond the arc for 46%.

In the last 15 games, he was only 17 of 63 for 27%.

And in our last 4 losses down the stretch, Anton was an abysmal 4 of 21 from 3-point range for 19%.  For comparison purposes, in those same 4 losses, Isaiah Roby was 5 of 11 for 45.5%.