New assistant - Armon Gates

reddan

My bad.  Confirmed they are not after digging deeper.  There were several internet links that said they were when I looked last night and given they both played hoops at Kent st.  It was easy to believe them.  

Edited by royalfan

Let's assume we ring the bell and Coach Gates lands here.  He certainly seems to have good recruiting chops and he seems to have a focus in the Chicago area.  He also seems to coach the backcourt.  That sounds somewhat like Coach Lewis and Coach Mo.  My questions are:  who will coach our bigs, and will our talent search focus on Illinois and Indiana?  

34 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

will our talent search focus on Illinois and Indiana?  

You'd have to think so though Gates attended Brewster Academy so he has connections there.

51 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

who will coach our bigs

Good question 

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Alright I've had enough of this^^^

1. Just because you think the program is in a bad place doesn't mean it is in a bad place.  You suggesting that everyone has to have the same outlook of the program is getting annoying as hell.  Go follow Haray Carry and Tuco on HuskerOnline.  They might think more of your constant belittling of this program and coaching staff
  2. What exactly has gone down the crapper in the last month and half?  Some imaginary shit storm hit your brain?  We lost an assistant that had nothing but praise to say about our program.  The kid that he recruited left for another program, and we still landed the other one he recruited. We got screwed by the NCAA selection committee, yet somehow it is Miles fault to a good amount of you.  We have lost Jack McVeigh on the roster so far.  None of that is as bad as people like you make it out to be.  Until we lose Copeland, Roby, Watson  or Palmer Jr. to something other than the pros... We will be fine!
  3. The constant lack of support and drive to express how shitty Miles is, is the only thing I am aware that hasn't been "Peachy" over the last Month and 1/2.  Nothing inside the program has shown me it isn't "Peachy"

Didn't your mother ever tell you "If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all" It would be "peachy" if some of you would follow those words of wisdom, because frankly people with your attitude are IMO one of the biggest problems surrounding the program. 

It doesn’t matter what you and I think as we are both fans of the huskers and Tim miles. It matters what the perception of the program is outside of the program. 

I am a a huge supporter of Miles, I think we lose maybe one more guy from the roster( in Copeland ) and I think he’s done a good job w the current recruiting class. 

If we get Gates it kinda changes that perception in my mind. Could be totally wrong but that how I see it. 

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

It doesn’t matter what you and I think as we are both fans of the huskers and Tim miles. It matters what the perception of the program is outside of the program. 

I am a a huge supporter of Miles, I think we lose maybe one more guy from the roster( in Copeland ) and I think he’s done a good job w the current recruiting class. 

If we get Gates it kinda changes that perception in my mind. Could be totally wrong but that how I see it. 

Well then... It must not be as bad as you thought.  If we do end up getting Armon Gates on board, his perception was not bad.  Then you have to look at Karrington Davis and Dachon Burke... Do they think the program is in shambles?  Outside people are still buying what Miles is selling so that perception you feel about the outside onlookers may be false as well. 

Edit: At the end of the 2016-2017 season when Ed Morrow, Jeriah Horne and Michael Jacobson left the program.  I felt like Miles and the program were in trouble, much more then anything that has happened so far in this offseason.  Then we landed Thomas Allen and Duby Okeke and all was well again.  With them and already having Palmer and Copeland on board I knew our situation went from crap to gold.

My only advice to you is to not jump to conclusions, before you have seen all the details.

Edited by big red22

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

You'd have to think so though Gates attended Brewster Academy so he has connections there.

Good question 

This was covered on here not long ago.  Someone in the know pointed out that Kenya was coaching bigs up to a few years ago and then Molinari took over coaching the bigs and Kenya was coaching wings.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

He must have read where I posted it earlier on this thread from the Chicago Tribune. :)

Yes can we revisit that quote. When I saw it a couple days ago it read to me that another coach was responsible for the specialty/inbounds plays and that Gates was mainly responsible for the defense. 

On 4/29/2018 at 8:49 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

While Baldwin and Gates focus mainly on the defense, James draws up out-of-bounds and specialty plays, such as the Nate Taphorn-to-Dererk Pardon game-winner against Michigan.

Not to burst any bubbles but it reads that Gates focused on defense, and that this James character draws up the out of bounds and specialty plays.

Here are concluding portions of the news article from the Chicago Sun-Times:

But Gates was immediately a hot commodity –– again –– as word in the underbelly of the college basketball world began to circulate that he was available. There were no concerns from any of the programs or head coaches in pursuit. By this past weekend, just days after his meeting with White, he was entertaining multiple high-major offers.

Sources confirm that Gates is now headed back to the Big Ten, with an official announcement forthcoming, and will join Nebraska coach Tim Miles’ coaching staff, effectively ending a wild few weeks.

While Gates will join a team that won 22 games last season, returns its top four four scorers and will be among the top four teams in preseason Big Ten rankings, the road to get there shows the types of twists and turns college coaches must navigate through in what can be a mucky world.

Edited by Swan88

29 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here are concluding portions of the news article from the Chicago Sun-Times:

But Gates was immediately a hot commodity –– again –– as word in the underbelly of the college basketball world began to circulate that he was available. There were no concerns from any of the programs or head coaches in pursuit. By this past weekend, just days after his meeting with White, he was entertaining multiple high-major offers.

Sources confirm that Gates is now headed back to the Big Ten, with an official announcement forthcoming, and will join Nebraska coach Tim Miles’ coaching staff, effectively ending a wild few weeks.

While Gates will join a team that won 22 games last season, returns its top four four scorers and will be among the top four teams in preseason Big Ten rankings, the road to get there shows the types of twists and turns college coaches must navigate through in what can be a mucky world.

This whole thing is just bizarre. I’m not complaining though

7 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

So they let him go because White decided he gave gates to much power as an assistant head coach? Is that how everyone else interprets the article?

certainly seems like their blunder will be our gain. 

That's kind of the impression I get.

I like all the "well respected" and "successful" and "hot commodity" comments they made about him, though.

8 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

And now the big question: Does he have a recruit or two that will follow him to Nebraska? (okay grammar police, semicolon, colon or what?)

Looked like all the northwestern guys stayed after he left for Florida(northwestern has a darn good class to) not sure if he was the lead recruiter on any of them.