Scheduling

So, we play 20 conference games this year.  That doesn't leave much flexibility in scheduling the ooc portion of the schedule.

We'll have Creighton at home.  We have that tourney in KC (2 games or 3?).  Do we have an ACC challenge game and a Big East Gavitt whatever games matchup?  I'm not sure how that all works.  But, if we do have both ACC and Big East matchups, then I'm counting maybe 5 other games to schedule to fill out our non-conference sleight?

Please, somebody, correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm just trying to piece stuff together.

In any event, how do programs schedule those other 5 teams?  Or 6 or however many it is?

You ought to be able to beat anyone in the 200s or below at home.  Why on earth would you schedule anyone in the 300s?  My understanding is that if we hadn't played Delaware State, our rpi would have been bumped up enough to possibly make the tourney field.  So, just by not playing the worst team in D1, it might have gotten into the NCAA field.  Or at least received a better seed in the NIT where we'd have had a home game.

So how do we avoid the Stetsons and the Delaware States of the future?

Is there just so much competition among P5 schools trying to schedule opponents in the 200s that we wind up with no choice but to cross our fingers and hope that the teams we end up with can win a few games so that they're not a drag on our rpi at the end of the year?

Can anyone educate me on this process?

Thanks

Yep, we'll  have 4 games as part of the CBE Classic.  Two mid-majors at home and two games in KC.

We will have ACC/B1G challenge and Creighton game for sure, Probably will participate in the Gavitt Games as well I'd imagine.  So, that puts us at 7 games non-con.  With the 20 game conference slate we'll be looking at I guess 4 more non-con games.  Those will probably be the cupcake-y Gardner-Webb types during finals and semester break I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

My understanding is that if we hadn't played Delaware State, our rpi would have been bumped up enough to possibly make the tourney field. 

I don't think replacing Delaware St with nothing (let's say a D-2 win) gets us in the tourney.

It was about Q1-Q2 type wins and the avoidance of Q3-Q4 losses.

Replace Delaware St with a road game somewhere decent plus win it. Maybe.

Otherwise, I don't think we overcompensate for last year. 5-6 pay games to finish out the schedule while limiting the terrible ones. Adding two more conference games is essentially like adding 2 more non-cupcake games.

NC State played Bryant (341), South Carolina St (331), VMI (315), Jacksonville (283), UMKC (261)  Charleston Southern (260) on their way to the NCAA tourney last year. 

Hit the nail on the head i think, don't schedule those 300 teams, schedule 200 or P5 bottom half teams. Teams that show the B1G is better than other conferences by beating up on the lower half SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 teams IMO. 

OT, isn't there a website for college basketball coaches to post that they're looking for a game to schedule? I used to know what it was but can't remember.

19 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Schedule some Division 2 schools. That way it won't hurt our RPI.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This. We should try to schedule all of the "cupcakes" in the 200s for sure. Absolutely no 300s. But if for whatever reason we struggle to get all teams in the 200s, it should be a D-2 opponent.

11 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Hit the nail on the head i think, don't schedule those 300 teams, schedule 200 or P5 bottom half teams. Teams that show the B1G is better than other conferences by beating up on the lower half SEC, Big 12, Pac 12 teams IMO. 

OT, isn't there a website for college basketball coaches to post that they're looking for a game to schedule? I used to know what it was but can't remember.

Outside of Delaware St., this is what they tried to do and a couple of teams ended up being much worse than expected.

48 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Outside of Delaware St., this is what they tried to do and a couple of teams ended up being much worse than expected.

Yep... you never know how a team is going to be.  You can have a good guess, but crazy things happen.  Our schedule wasn’t the issue last year.  It was how other teams performed with their schedules.

23 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I would assume we will have 

2 in KC

1 Gravitt at home

1 B1G/ACC on road

Creighton at home

maybe 1 more marquee and the rest cupcakes.

All correct except the Gavitt games are not guaranteed every year as not all teams get to participate since Big East doesn't have as many teams as Big 10

13 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

All correct except the Gavitt games are not guaranteed every year as not all teams get to participate since Big East doesn't have as many teams as Big 10

Yeah, I just thought since we have played 2 road games in 3 years, we should get a home one.  But we could get screwed over as well.

Last year's pay games

image.png

I think we got Stetson as part of the tourney package because Stetson also played Marist and UCF.

Not pictured: Marist, Long Beach St because we didn't schedule them

Big picture-wise we lost zero pay games this last year including the 3 holiday games we sleptwalked through.

I think we can handle 1-2 complete turds while not killing our RPI, especially if they're in the holiday punch bowl.

That's hella improvement by North Texas.  And they lost a key player to a season-ending injury in our game.

The coach - can't recall his name - was an assistant at Baylor and then coached Arkansas State for 1 season, which included a huge road win over Georgetown, before he took over at No Texas.

That guy is going places.  Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's hella improvement by North Texas.  And they lost a key player to a season-ending injury in our game.

The coach - can't recall his name - was an assistant at Baylor and then coached Arkansas State for 1 season, which included a huge road win over Georgetown, before he took over at No Texas.

That guy is going places.  Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Grant McCasland.  Did we line this game up as a favor to Tony Benford? If we did, he was fired on March 5th. TBH I'm not exactly sure how far in advance these pay games are scheduled.

3 hours ago, kldm64 said:

We'll get a Gavitt at home. This'll be the 4th year of the event and we have only had 2 games, both on the road. I'd bet we get Providence, or possibly Marquette (Hello Storyline) at PBA next year.