Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PimpMario

Collier, Sadler or Miles

Recommended Posts

My shower thought was what would Collier and Sadler have done in their prime (or when NE hired them) if they had taken over Nebrasketball when Miles did; new arena, practice facility, support of private jet, B1G, etc.

 

1) If given identical teams and a week to prepare which coach would you pick to win a game.

 

2) If there is 20 seconds left in a game given an identical situation down by 1 with the ball which coach is most likely to draw up a winning play?

 

3) All other things being equal which coach is most likely to get a commitment from and in home visit.

 

4) Scouting a high school tournament game which coach is most likely to find the diamond in the rough?

 

5) Given a player with potential which coach is most likely to fully develop it?

 

6) Going to a coaching convention needing to hire an assistant, which coach comes away with the best coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1   Miles

2   Miles

3   Miles (by a country mile)

4   Miles

5   Miles

6   Collier (by a nose over Miles)

 

Would put Sadler #3 in every category - although would be close to Collier in #1 and #2.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PimpMario said:

1) If given identical teams and a week to prepare which coach would you pick to win a game.

Sadler.  He won a bunch of game in which his teams should of had no shot based on (lack of) talent.

 

2) If there is 20 seconds left in a game given an identical situation down by 1 with the ball which coach is most likely to draw up a winning play?

Collier.  He sucked at a lot of stuff...and by that I mean almost everything.  But he could draw up an inbounds play, I'll give him that.

 

3) All other things being equal which coach is most likely to get a commitment from and in home visit.

Miles, and this one isn't remotely close.

 

4) Scouting a high school tournament game which coach is most likely to find the diamond in the rough?

Sadler.  See exhibits a, b, & c: Ubel, Dagunduro, & Jeter.

 

5) Given a player with potential which coach is most likely to fully develop it?

None of the above, but I guess if I had to pick one I'd go Sadler.  Maric flourished after the switch from Collier to Sadler.  Ubel also got consistently better each year (although his Sr. year was under Miles).

 

6) Going to a coaching convention needing to hire an assistant, which coach comes away with the best coach?

Miles, and again by a country mile.

 

 

Interesting questions.  I had Sadler winning the most categories, but the categories that Miles won were by a wiiiiiiiiide margin.  Overall I would take Mile over the other two, but Sadler did walk into the worst situation so who knows what he could've done with the opportunity that Collier or Miles had.  Collier inherited talent from Nee but drove the program into the ground.  Miles inherited the new facilities and corresponding recruiting advantages.  Sadler inherited a team with no talent and the worst facilities in the conference...not exactly a fair shake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PimpMario said:

 

My shower thought was what would Collier and Sadler have done in their prime (or when NE hired them) if they had taken over Nebrasketball when Miles did; new arena, practice facility, support of private jet, B1G, etc.

 

1) If given identical teams and a week to prepare which coach would you pick to win a game.

 

2) If there is 20 seconds left in a game given an identical situation down by 1 with the ball which coach is most likely to draw up a winning play?

 

3) All other things being equal which coach is most likely to get a commitment from and in home visit.

 

4) Scouting a high school tournament game which coach is most likely to find the diamond in the rough?

 

5) Given a player with potential which coach is most likely to fully develop it?

 

6) Going to a coaching convention needing to hire an assistant, which coach comes away with the best coach?

 

 

1. Sadler

2. Collier

3. MILES INFINITELY AND THAT'S WHY HE'S TWICE AS GOOD AS EITHER OF THE OTHERS.  THIS IS 90% OF A COACH'S VALUE.

4. MILES FOREVER.

5. Sadler

6. Miles or Collier 

 

I don't want it to seem like these are even scores.  The weight of 3 and 4 are 90+% of what makes a coach good in a power conference.  Miles is a great recruiter, and he's coming around as an in-game coach.  He was better than either Sadler or Collier in-game last season, and I expect it to remain that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LK1 said:

 

1. Sadler

2. Collier

3. MILES INFINITELY AND THAT'S WHY HE'S TWICE AS GOOD AS EITHER OF THE OTHERS.  THIS IS 90% OF A COACH'S VALUE.

4. MILES FOREVER.

5. Sadler

6. Miles or Collier 

 

I don't want it to seem like these are even scores.  The weight of 3 and 4 are 90+% of what makes a coach good in a power conference.  Miles is a great recruiter, and he's coming around as an in-game coach.  He was better than either Sadler or Collier in-game last season, and I expect it to remain that way. 

 

I think I can agree with a lot of this.  I think I might give Sadler a nod over Collier in drawing up that last second play.  Remember Creighton in Sadler year 3 when we absolutely had to have a bucket at the end of the game?  He got Steve Harley the ball curling from the right short corner into the lane, drew the defender off of Ade, dumped it down to Ade for a very easy lay in.  Game winner.  It was brilliant.

 

And I would take Miles' ability to hire an assistant coach over either of the others.  How many of Collier's assistants while he was here went on to head coaching gigs?  Sadler's?  Before all is said and done, Miles' Husker assistants with head jobs will include Craig Smith, Kenya Hunter, Michael Lewis and Chris Harriman.  And those are just the ones since he's been here.  Collier had some good assistants at Butler, but not as much in Lincoln.

 

As far as finding diamonds in the rough, you don't want to get me started on Sheldon Jeter again, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised to see people pick Miles to draw up a winning play. It seems like his game-ending plays are often isolations that end up with contested long shots (I certainly know this isn’t always the case). I always considered Collier an outstanding Xs and Os coach (his other deficiencies far too vast for this strength to mean much at NU). 

 

I agree with Norm’s answer, though I’d give Collier the slight nod for drawing up a play to get a good look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, HuskerBB said:

1   Miles

2   Miles

3   Miles (by a country mile)

4   Miles

5   Miles

6   Collier (by a nose over Miles)

 

Would put Sadler #3 in every category - although would be close to Collier in #1 and #2.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We have come a long ways since the days of "we will never be able to find a better coach than Doc Sadler."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 5:16 PM, Jugular said:

The only category that Miles wouldn’t win is if we needed an in-bounds play

A comment on in-bounds plays:

 

- I saw a lot, and I mean A TON of teams use very similar action on inbounds play in college basketball, including at some very good programs. It's a safe play that very rarely gets screwed up.

 

- I have seen NU have quite a bit of success on the secondary action off that basic in-bound play. What I guess I'm saying is I think Miles and NU gets a bad wrap here and my thinking has evolved a bit on this.

 

I guess that was two comments...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the big picture I think Miles has made us a lot more competitive against the top tier programs on our schedule.  There were some Sadler and Collier teams that just seemed out classed at the tip and the game was over about 8 minutes in.  As far as Doc goes, I always said he was Bo Pelini on the court. A coach who was a defensive minded coach but when it came right down to it, the defense wasn't that good and both were poor recruiters and the minute they lost their big time players from the previous coach, really stumbled. (Pelini had Suh who you had to double or triple team which opened up other things to do on D and Sadler had Maric who could guard the post one on one without help and allowed the guards to lock up on the perimeter.  Pelini just had a lot more to work with including maybe the best defensive player in NU history (Suh) and maybe the best kicker in NU history (Henry) Doc had a way better personality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

I was surprised to see people pick Miles to draw up a winning play. It seems like his game-ending plays are often isolations that end up with contested long shots (I certainly know this isn’t always the case). I always considered Collier an outstanding Xs and Os coach (his other deficiencies far too vast for this strength to mean much at NU). 

 

I agree with Norm’s answer, though I’d give Collier the slight nod for drawing up a play to get a good look. 

 

I agree, but here's the thing:  a lot more of those game-ending/clutch shots have gone in under Miles' tenure.  Why?  Because his players are better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LK1 said:

 

I agree, but here's the thing:  a lot more of those game-ending/clutch shots have gone in under Miles' tenure.  Why?  Because his players are better.  

Have they?  He is 97-97

 

All three guys had nice wins and bad losses....

 

I would probably give the Nod to Sadler, becuase he took over when facilities were at their worst in comparison to others and is results are pretty much on par or even better than Miles, where it has never been better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

Have they?  He is 97-97

 

All three guys had nice wins and bad losses....

 

I would probably give the Nod to Sadler, becuase he took over when facilities were at their worst in comparison to others and is results are pretty much on par or even better than Miles, where it has never been better.

 

 

 

Noted.  I should clarify:  the highest level we've reached in the past 20 years as a program has happened under Miles' tenure (twice), and it happened because he had talented players that could get their own shot (and were more skilled in general).  And for the record, I always liked Doc as an in-game coach and his player development was pretty solid.  Great defensive mind and the best transition defense coaching I've seen at UNL.  I believe Doc's limited ability to recruit meant that his coaching ability maxed out at about 20 wins in an easier conference.  

 

Last season, I felt TM put recruiting and coaching together for the first time in his tenure, and the results (beyond getting screwed) were better than I've seen since Nee was bringing in pros every year.  If he can put together another good season next year, I think it'll prove that he can consistently match wits and sell with the top half of the B1G.  Here's to hoping.  It's been an EKG roller coaster to this point (which definitely makes your points valid), but that's better than the flatline it used to be, in my opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

Have they?  He is 97-97

 

All three guys had nice wins and bad losses....

 

I would probably give the Nod to Sadler, becuase he took over when facilities were at their worst in comparison to others and is results are pretty much on par or even better than Miles, where it has never been better.

 

 

But not all or even most of those 97 loses happened on end of game situations. Different conversation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coaching wise....

 

I thought Sadler's teams seemed to get a large amount of wide open shots...but often those wide open shots didn't turn into makes.

 

When Miles took Petteway and team to the NCAA tourney, I thought we made an incredible amount of shots that were head scratchers, but the shots went in...I remember the next year when the wins didn't come and a friend was complaining about how we were so much worse than the previous year....I remember telling him that I thought we were the same team, but the crazy shots that we seemed to live on the previous year weren't going in this year.

 

I want to see a coach that runs an offense that creates open shots and layups while creating defense that tries to eliminate those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×