Nebrasketball: Our Brand

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

1.  Was there any positive momentum at the end of the season that could have been capitalized on and leveraged to advance the reputation of the brand?  If so, did we do it?

2.  Were there any potential negative implications in our season and our outlook moving forward that could have been mitigated with an appropriate PR strategy?  If so, did we put the "best face" on the situation?

3.  From the perspective of brand identity and protecting or improving brand reputation, how would you assess the AD's involvement in the program since the end of the season?  Has our brand been strengthened, harmed, or no change?

Nebraska's brand locally or nationally? And if the answer is both, I think there are different answers to that. 

But in crafting these questions I assume you're looking at either locally or nationally. So I was curious which one it was. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

1.  Was there any positive momentum at the end of the season that could have been capitalized on and leveraged to advance the reputation of the brand?  If so, did we do it?

2.  Were there any potential negative implications in our season and our outlook moving forward that could have been mitigated with an appropriate PR strategy?  If so, did we put the "best face" on the situation?

3.  From the perspective of brand identity and protecting or improving brand reputation, how would you assess the AD's involvement in the program since the end of the season?  Has our brand been strengthened, harmed, or no change?

To answer these questions....

IMO....

1.   The positive momentum at the end of the season did die down with the way it finished.    Ultimately it was a positive year, but I think any positivity that can be harnessed from this season is in limbo currently.   Not because of the extension.  But because we are waiting on 3 decisions.   If all 3 guys come back, last year's success and how close we were is a very powerful selling tool when going after grad transfers who want to win immediately.   However, if their decisions go the wrong way...there is very little to be positive about.

2.   I think it could have looked cleaner had Moos and Miles been on the same page earlier on to get this done earlier in the month.   I think we are quick to blame Moos, but I'm sure Miles had a part to play in it as well too.   Ultimately, I think the negative PR is trivial in the grand scheme of things.   Similar to question 1, the decisions of Copeland, Palmer and Roby are going to carry more weight as to the outlook of this program then the timing of the extension

3.  I don't think there is any real change.  I suppose a two year contract does give slightly better optics.   But the fact is, Eichorst and Miles are the ones who dug this hole.   Not Moos.   He may not have gotten us out of it right away, but he wasn't the one who dug it.  I do think the lack of long term extension could slow down recruiting for 2019.   Then again...we did get X with Miles under the same terms.  Short term....if our guys come back...and we win....everything is still on the table.   Ultimately, whether it was a 1-year, 2-year or 8-year extension....if Miles has a disappointing season next year....we're in a coaching search which likely destroys any incoming recruiting class anyways.

21 minutes ago, swmckewon said:
7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Nebraska's brand locally or nationally? And if the answer is both, I think there are different answers to that. 

But in crafting these questions I assume you're looking at either locally or nationally. So I was curious which one it was. 

On the national level, these questions are pretty straight forward.

The only time people, outside of the media or informed fans, care about Nebraska basketball is:

1. When Nebraska is selected into the NCAA tournament and they either love or hate on the team since they have zero NCAA tournament wins (the majority of viewers don't even know this fact until the media brings it up and then it becomes a hot topic).

2. When they are one of the 68 teams to make their picks in their March Madness bracket.

And once the season is over, they stop caring once again.

The best part is that consecutive success in #2 can get you much more attention from casual fans, recruits, and coaches.

Nebraska as a National Brand is not even that strong in Football today.  We have never been a National Brand in Basketball.  NU has to recruit hidden gems and develop them to sustain a steady, consistent program that from time to time finishes in the top 3-4 in the B1G and qualifies for the NCAA’s.  We are not going to become a Kansas but could we become an Oklahoma?  

Edited by Cazzie22
Error

12 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Nebraska as a National Brand is not even that strong in Football today.  We have never been a National Brand in Basketball.  NU has to recruit hidden gems and develop them to sustain a steady, consistent program that from time to time finishes in the top 3-4 in the B1G and qualifies for the NCAA’s.  We are not going to become a Kansas but could we become an Oklahoma?  

I would kill to develop a hoops pedigree like Oklahoma's.  In the modern era of the NCAA tournament they have nearly as many Elite Eight appearances as we have trips to the dance all time.  Without doing a whole lot of digging I would say they're probably second to only Kansas in the Big 12 (current or former) in terms of hoops success.  And OU ain't as far behind KU as one might think...

14 hours ago, nustudent said:

To answer these questions....

IMO....

1.   The positive momentum at the end of the season did die down with the way it finished.    Ultimately it was a positive year, but I think any positivity that can be harnessed from this season is in limbo currently.   Not because of the extension.  But because we are waiting on 3 decisions.   If all 3 guys come back, last year's success and how close we were is a very powerful selling tool when going after grad transfers who want to win immediately.   However, if their decisions go the wrong way...there is very little to be positive about.

2.   I think it could have looked cleaner had Moos and Miles been on the same page earlier on to get this done earlier in the month.   I think we are quick to blame Moos, but I'm sure Miles had a part to play in it as well too.   Ultimately, I think the negative PR is trivial in the grand scheme of things.   Similar to question 1, the decisions of Copeland, Palmer and Roby are going to carry more weight as to the outlook of this program then the timing of the extension

3.  I don't think there is any real change.  I suppose a two year contract does give slightly better optics.   But the fact is, Eichorst and Miles are the ones who dug this hole.   Not Moos.   He may not have gotten us out of it right away, but he wasn't the one who dug it.  I do think the lack of long term extension could slow down recruiting for 2019.   Then again...we did get X with Miles under the same terms.  Short term....if our guys come back...and we win....everything is still on the table.   Ultimately, whether it was a 1-year, 2-year or 8-year extension....if Miles has a disappointing season next year....we're in a coaching search which likely destroys any incoming recruiting class anyways.

This

11 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

The football brand is still pretty strong. If Frost turns it around like we all hope and think he will, it'll explode again. It's dormant, not weak.

21 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Answer it however you wish.  

I'd have to chew on the national brand. 

Locally, I think it's pretty straightforward: Fans will continue to show up to PBA if the team wins, regardless of the politics around it, because it's a big-ticket event, people like the PBA and the Haymarket is a fun place to go. Fans have even turned out in losing seasons. Until that changes, the brand is "If Nebrasketball is playing, people will come." Like, even if fans aren't thrilled with the contract length - and I don't think all fans care about that - they're still going to show  up, out of loyalty or habit. 

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Here's your "Brand" : your Coach just had one of the best seasons in school history and you gave him a reach-around as a thank you. Do you think that will cause other coaches &/or players to flock to Lincoln?

Here's your brand:  one of the best seasons in school history resulted in a first round loss in the NIT.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:02 PM, nustudent said:

But the fact is, Eichorst and Miles are the ones who dug this hole.   Not Moos.   He may not have gotten us out of it right away, but he wasn't the one who dug it.  I do think the lack of long term extension could slow down recruiting for 2019.   Then again...we did get X with Miles under the same terms.  Short term....if our guys come back...and we win....everything is still on the table.   Ultimately, whether it was a 1-year, 2-year or 8-year extension....if Miles has a disappointing season next year....we're in a coaching search which likely destroys any incoming recruiting class anyways.

But his job is to fill the holes and fix the issues, he choose to sit and watch the parade go by.  I know football was priority one and I understand that.  However, not cutting him a hall pass for that hire (given all the help he had from others) given he knew the status of the programs (at least he should have) coming in.  That said, I believe Moos is the best AD we've had since Dollar Bill even if he screwed the baseball program taking the guy who should have been named coach with him to A$M.

But his job is to fill the holes and fix the issues, he choose to sit and watch the parade go by.  I know football was priority one and I understand that.  However, not cutting him a hall pass for that hire (given all the help he had from others) given he knew the status of the programs (at least he should have) coming in.  That said, I believe Moos is the best AD we've had since Dollar Bill even if he screwed the baseball program taking the guy who should have been named coach with him to A$M.
Do you think Childress would have taken the job had been offered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Do you think Childress would have taken the job had been offered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think it would have mattered.  Childress is from that area and would have taken the A&M job whenever it was offered.  Kind of like Van Horn who was a Razorback and took the Arkansas job when it presented itself.