Jump to content
Handy Johnson

Let me get this straight...

Recommended Posts

Im new to this board. My first love is Nebraska Basketball.  My opinion is:

 

This was a big decision for Moos, and has a huge impact on the program.  All this (extension) says to me, Moos has been and will always be a football AD.  I am not an AD, nor am I tasked with with the responsibilities of an AD; however, this was not a thoughtful move. He had two options: Fire Miles/Extend him two years.   I understand what Miles did this last year but i could justify a fire. I personally think he deserved a 2 year extension.  But this is the worst option I could imagine for the program. How can hire a quality assistant? How can you recruit? How can you assure stability with the current staff (Lewis is an asset)?  More importantly, how can you assure stability with the student athletes in the program?  Im upset with Moos.  He took an easy way out and as a Nebraska Basketball fan I find it to be a coward/thoughtless decision.  Fire him if you dont have confidence. Find someone else .. If youre on the fence, extend him two years and fire him after next year if he doesnt meet expectations, we can afford it; we are paying two FB coaches a kings ransom. You can at least fool candidates (Hunter vacancy), recruits, current staff and players, we have program security,  ... put the student athletes first... put the program first... Nevertheless, well done with Frost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dustystehl said:

 

One could argue that extending a .500 coach five years would be an even greater implication that Moos doesn't care about winning basketball games.

 

At Nebraska, Miles is 4-13 in March road and neutral site games (3-13 in such games at Colorado State, so 7-26 as a D-I coach). He's 0-6 against Creighton (many of which have been blowouts).

 

If you're happy with going to the NIT every other year, then I guess Miles is your guy. I just want more than that. And I think Moos does, too.

But that's kind of the point. Then fire him! The one year extension does absolutely no good. And the probability is it actually does more harm of the 3 options of extend 1 year, fire him, or extend 2+ years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Samborini said:

Im new to this board. My first love is Nebraska Basketball.  My opinion is:

 

This was a big decision for Moos, and has a huge impact on the program.  All this (extension) says to me, Moos has been and will always be a football AD.  I am not an AD, nor am I tasked with with the responsibilities of an AD; however, this was not a thoughtful move. He had two options: Fire Miles/Extend him two years.   I understand what Miles did this last year but i could justify a fire. I personally think he deserved a 2 year extension.  But this is the worst option I could imagine for the program. How can hire a quality assistant? How can you recruit? How can you assure stability with the current staff (Lewis is an asset)?  More importantly, how can you assure stability with the student athletes in the program?  Im upset with Moos.  He took an easy way out and as a Nebraska Basketball fan I find it to be a coward/thoughtless decision.  Fire him if you dont have confidence. Find someone else .. If youre on the fence, extend him two years and fire him after next year if he doesnt meet expectations, we can afford it; we are paying two FB coaches a kings ransom. You can at least fool candidates (Hunter vacancy), recruits, current staff and players, we have program security,  ... put the student athletes first... put the program first... Nevertheless, well done with Frost.

First post and he drops a perfectly executed semicolon.

 

I like this dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jobbing in the NIT didn't help.  I would have only extended one year.

 

Win next year and you attract recruits because you are a winner.  You also get more years because you are a winner.  So far a little pressure on Miles has helped his results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

Jobbing in the NIT didn't help.  I would have only extended one year.

 

Win next year and you attract recruits because you are a winner.  You also get more years because you are a winner.  So far a little pressure on Miles has helped his results.

Sooooo what was this last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samborini said:

Im new to this board. My first love is Nebraska Basketball.  My opinion is:

 

This was a big decision for Moos, and has a huge impact on the program.  All this (extension) says to me, Moos has been and will always be a football AD.  I am not an AD, nor am I tasked with with the responsibilities of an AD; however, this was not a thoughtful move. He had two options: Fire Miles/Extend him two years.   I understand what Miles did this last year but i could justify a fire. I personally think he deserved a 2 year extension.  But this is the worst option I could imagine for the program. How can hire a quality assistant? How can you recruit? How can you assure stability with the current staff (Lewis is an asset)?  More importantly, how can you assure stability with the student athletes in the program?  Im upset with Moos.  He took an easy way out and as a Nebraska Basketball fan I find it to be a coward/thoughtless decision.  Fire him if you dont have confidence. Find someone else .. If youre on the fence, extend him two years and fire him after next year if he doesnt meet expectations, we can afford it; we are paying two FB coaches a kings ransom. You can at least fool candidates (Hunter vacancy), recruits, current staff and players, we have program security,  ... put the student athletes first... put the program first... Nevertheless, well done with Frost.

Giving a 2, 3 or even 5 year extension fools no one....so why tie up university money, if the entire world knows that next year is do or die.

 

Will this be tough on Miles, yes...but in my opinion, a five year extension wouldn't give him anymore security other than monetarily for himself.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Giving a 2, 3 or even 5 year extension fools no one....so why tie up university money, if the entire world knows that next year is do or die.

 

Will this be tough on Miles, yes...but in my opinion, a five year extension wouldn't give him anymore security other than monetarily for himself.

 

 

Im not asking for 5 years nor am I an advocate for Miles. On court production is a question but has secured hope with the production of last year.  We have the money, dont fool yourself.. It's about the program not the coach.  Spend to secure longevity, or dont and spend to start a new chapter. We do it with other sports, and that was due to numerous sub .500 seasons after a reputation of success.  We dont have that in bball.  

Edited by Samborini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cozrulz said:

Jobbing in the NIT didn't help.  I would have only extended one year.

 

Win next year and you attract recruits because you are a winner.  You also get more years because you are a winner.  So far a little pressure on Miles has helped his results.

 

Would you have waited a month to extend one year?

 

And, of course, winning next year won't help with getting anyone decent in November.   Two Novembers so far while the ADs dithered has resulted in a shaky wing whose best offer was NU, and a tall skinny project.   We're gonna be short on players even if we win next year.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Samborini said:

Im not asking for 5 years nor am I an advocate for Miles. On court production is a question but has secured hope with the production of last year.  We have the money, dont fool yourself.. It's about the program not the coach.  Spend to secure longevity, or dont and spend to start a new chapter. We do it with other sports, and that was due to numerous sub .500 seasons after a reputation of success.  We dont have that in bball.  

I would say that those that think that Moos is getting rid of Miles next year is a foregone conclusion are wrong.

 

Will he Fire him if he is unsuccessful next year, yes?

 

But, a one year extension allows Miles to have another year to show that he can compete in the Big ten...

 

If Moos really wanted to fire him after next year, no contract extension would have been appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Giving a 2, 3 or even 5 year extension fools no one....so why tie up university money, if the entire world knows that next year is do or die.

 

Will this be tough on Miles, yes...but in my opinion, a five year extension wouldn't give him anymore security other than monetarily for himself.

 

 

 

Actually, much of the entire world knows the do or die ship has already sailed.  Its already done died. Just a phony deal to allow them time to find the next guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doom and gloom seems to proliferate here.  Tim Miles is the NU BB Coach, let’s get behind him and the returning players for the upcoming season.  The future could include more transfers, graduate and undergraduate, to boost the roster.  Roby won’t be NBA ready after next year unless he takes a giant leap forward.  I hope he can play the 4 since he is overmatched by big centers.  Allen May make a significant jump and be a reliable scoring guard.  Much depends on Palmer and Copeland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HB said:

 

Actually, much of the entire world knows the do or die ship has already sailed.  Its already done died. Just a phony deal to allow them time to find the next guy. 

Then, Moos shouldn't have extended him at all....if he is going to hire someone else, let him coach on a 2 year deal....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

I would say that those that think that Moos is getting rid of Miles next year is a foregone conclusion are wrong.

 

Will he Fire him if he is unsuccessful next year, yes?

 

But, a one year extension allows Miles to have another year to show that he can compete in the Big ten...

 

If Moos really wanted to fire him after next year, no contract extension would have been appropriate.

I see your logic but disagree.. How can you not incentivize winning? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

Then, Moos shouldn't have extended him at all....if he is going to hire someone else, let him coach on a 2 year deal....

 

 

 

Well, the one year extension leaves him a little  less vulnerable to a Barry Collier move by Miles; gives Moos a little more control over the timing of making the next hire.   But if you think Bounds and Moos haven't already made the long term call on Miles I'd like to sell you some some ocean front property in East Lincoln.  You don't do the last month and a 1 year deal on a guy who hadn't been extended the past two years if you think Miles has any chance of being your guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Samborini said:

I see your logic but disagree.. How can you not incentivize winning? 

I think we should incentivize winning, winnng meaningful games, winning in March, winning against our rival. If Miles gets to the NCAA he should get a fat contract next year, and if Cope/Palmer/Roby come back - that should be a high probability. As a fan base we’re always looking for the next excuse. Miles should be happy, he has a good shot at making a ton of money with a 7 year deal after all his studs make a run next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

 Miles should be happy, he has a good shot at making a ton of money with a 7 year deal after all his studs make a run next year.

Yup he’s going to sail off into the sunset or get fired of coarse. My bet is he wins between 20-25 games next year w by far the best team he’s ever had in Lincoln. Everyone takes notice in the Midwest and he slides into a fat contract at the likes of a Minnesota or some other school similar to Nebraska that’s looking to run off their coach. All while we are wondering why moos( I think he’s a jackwagon already) ran off the guy who finally had the program pointed in the right direction. 

 

O and we will lose 6-8 guys after next year so the next coach will also be screwed. Great freaking day to be a husker mr. Moos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yup he’s going to sail off into the sunset or get fired of coarse. My bet is he wins between 20-25 games next year w by far the best team he’s ever had in Lincoln. Everyone takes notice in the Midwest and he slides into a fat contract at the likes of a Minnesota or some other school similar to Nebraska that’s looking to run off their coach. All while we are wondering why moos( I think he’s a jackwagon already) ran off the guy who finally had the program pointed in the right direction. 

 

O and we will lose 6-8 guys after next year so the next coach will also be screwed. Great freaking day to be a husker mr. Moos. 

Miles jumping to another power 5 school and getting a fat contract likely means he wins a NCAA tournament game here next year. Which would be great for us and likely means we put ourselves in position to hire a very solid coach. But, I hope you’re not a betting man since you are betting on a guy who has yet to have one postseason win in 14 years of D-1 ball. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the below, just my opinion:

The 1 year contract extension looks bad. Now, who knows what was going on behind closed doors with Miles' agent and university representatives. Who knows how honest everyone is with each other about the situation and how they're leaning during negotiations? If they could be, and I was Miles, I would ask to extend the contract 2-3 more years, but reduce the buyout by 1/2 per month or 2/3 per month were he to be terminated. Essentially the university would owe the same total amount of compensation, but there's more of a chance of an appearance of commitment (both sides could even "sell" it as such) and it makes it easier to hire an assistant and recruit ... or at least maximizes the chances of success in those areas.

I think what happened is Moos went looking to see who was interested and didn't get a lot of positive feedback regarding interest OR felt he didn't have an adequate amount of time to sell the job to anyone. He's probably leaning toward terminating Miles after next year, so he makes the fiscally prudent move by only extending a year. It just seems like all parties could've gotten together better and "sold" this whole thing better to where it doesn't at least appear to be such a gap in commitment between the two parties. As it stands, it has all the appearances of Miles being a "lame duck." That's never a good look.

Again, just my opinions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Samborini said:

Moos has been and will always be a football AD.

 

I think you answered your own question here... Moos isn't a basketball guy and that's clear with his last hiring decision at WSU. He clearly doesn't have a viable replacement and is setting Miles up foe: win an NCAA tournament game or I'll spend my next 365 days finding somebody. So sad. For both parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Struggle understanding the 1-year deal, but whatever.   Moos was in an awkward position.  He's going to be criticized no matter what.

 

Don't think Miles leaves for another school.   Even with a good year (NCAA bid and win) next year, that brings his tenure here up to mediocre on the surface.   No other blue blood is coming in offering $2.5MM+ for a guy who is barely over .500.   And if he does that...that makes two years in a row where we don't suck.   I think that's a big thing the administration is looking for.   Can we sustain anything?   Have we built anything?   Through 6 years, the answers to those questions are...no.  

 

IMO, I think the admin wants to see a foundation built.   Some stability.   Some consistency.   They don't want simply a flash in the pan year every 4-5 years.   Should Miles be successful next year, that's two in a row and gives the appearance there is some substance there.  

 

Personally, I don't see it ending well.   And thought that before and after the extension debate.   I think Copeland is gone.   Even with Roby and Palmer back....that leaves us incredibly thin in the front court.   Jordy isn't good and Roby is terrific.   But one good player to man 80 minutes of frontcourt time a game isn't a good thing.   And we essentially stopped recruiting this class in January and only hope would be a grad transfer (whom we haven't heard about us even going for from a big man perspective yet).   Coupled with the lack of front court depth, we still aren't a great shooting team.   Never thought, despite the success, we were a great team this last year.   We were talented, but felt too often the sum was less than the individual parts, even in our wins.   And the fact that as of this point, we will be a less talented team than last year, coupled with a corrected Big 10 and I don't feel great about us doing great things.

 

Don't think the contact extension conversation applies to 2018-2019.   It will the years following due to recruiting high school talent. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Personally, I don't see it ending well.   And thought that before and after the extension debate.   I think Copeland is gone.   Even with Roby and Palmer back....that leaves us incredibly thin in the front court.   Jordy isn't good and Roby is terrific.   But one good player to man 80 minutes of frontcourt time a game isn't a good thing.   And we essentially stopped recruiting this class in January and only hope would be a grad transfer (whom we haven't heard about us even going for from a big man perspective yet).   Coupled with the lack of front court depth, we still aren't a great shooting team.   Never thought, despite the success, we were a great team this last year.   We were talented, but felt too often the sum was less than the individual parts, even in our wins.   And the fact that as of this point, we will be a less talented team than last year, coupled with a corrected Big 10 and I don't feel great about us doing great things.

 

Don't think the contact extension conversation applies to 2018-2019.   It will the years following due to recruiting high school talent. 

 

 

JUCO post player seems like something we need to explore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nustudent said:

Struggle understanding the 1-year deal, but whatever.   Moos was in an awkward position.  He's going to be criticized no matter what.

 

Don't think Miles leaves for another school.   Even with a good year (NCAA bid and win) next year, that brings his tenure here up to mediocre on the surface.   No other blue blood is coming in offering $2.5MM+ for a guy who is barely over .500.   And if he does that...that makes two years in a row where we don't suck.   I think that's a big thing the administration is looking for.   Can we sustain anything?   Have we built anything?   Through 6 years, the answers to those questions are...no.  

 

IMO, I think the admin wants to see a foundation built.   Some stability.   Some consistency.   They don't want simply a flash in the pan year every 4-5 years.   Should Miles be successful next year, that's two in a row and gives the appearance there is some substance there.  

 

Personally, I don't see it ending well.   And thought that before and after the extension debate.   I think Copeland is gone.   Even with Roby and Palmer back....that leaves us incredibly thin in the front court.   Jordy isn't good and Roby is terrific.   But one good player to man 80 minutes of frontcourt time a game isn't a good thing.   And we essentially stopped recruiting this class in January and only hope would be a grad transfer (whom we haven't heard about us even going for from a big man perspective yet).   Coupled with the lack of front court depth, we still aren't a great shooting team.   Never thought, despite the success, we were a great team this last year.   We were talented, but felt too often the sum was less than the individual parts, even in our wins.   And the fact that as of this point, we will be a less talented team than last year, coupled with a corrected Big 10 and I don't feel great about us doing great things.

 

Don't think the contact extension conversation applies to 2018-2019.   It will the years following due to recruiting high school talent. 

 

 

See, this is precisely the problem I have with the AD decisions on Miles the last 3 years.  How's a guy supposed to build something when you basically send him the signal that he's coaching for his job every year?  You think the decisions he would make as a coach would be different if he thought his position would be secure than if he thought, hey, this could be it?

 

Let me ask you this:  If Deverell Biggs was on this year's team, would he get booted off in January?  Turns out that was best for the long-term health of the team.  But if you're coaching for your job and have to win right now, does the coach make a different call there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

See, this is precisely the problem I have with the AD decisions on Miles the last 3 years.  How's a guy supposed to build something when you basically send him the signal that he's coaching for his job every year?  You think the decisions he would make as a coach would be different if he thought his position would be secure than if he thought, hey, this could be it?

 

Let me ask you this:  If Deverell Biggs was on this year's team, would he get booted off in January?  Turns out that was best for the long-term health of the team.  But if you're coaching for your job and have to win right now, does the coach make a different call there?

I agree that Eichorst's actions last year put us in a bind.   But once you get to year 4, 5 or 6 anywhere....you are coaching for your job and it's a win now situation.   This place is no different.   Years 1-4 and even maybe 5 are when those foundations should have been built.   Not laying the groundwork in year 6 or 7.

 

Again, I agree that Eichorst put us in a bad spot.   But so did Miles with failing at establishing things during the middle part of his tenure here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

 But, I hope you’re not a betting man since you are betting on a guy who has yet to have one postseason win in 14 years of D-1 ball. 

I’m willing to bet on a motivated palmer being back. I’m willing to bet on robys exponential growth w a whole offseason of work. I’m willing to bet on jordys offseason growth now that he’s not injured. I’m willing to bet on Allen’s potential w actual rotation minutes. And im Willing to bet there’s enough other talent to fill in the gaps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I’m willing to bet on a motivated palmer being back. I’m willing to bet on robys exponential growth w a whole offseason of work. I’m willing to bet on jordys offseason growth now that he’s not injured. I’m willing to bet on Allen’s potential w actual rotation minutes. And im Willing to bet there’s enough other talent to fill in the gaps.

 

I think most people are willing to bet on the players (or most of them).   I think people's hesitancy is in betting on the chef that stirs the stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×