Let me get this straight...

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Miles has made a considerable amount of money now coaching where making as much or more money somewhere doesn't need to be the end all. 

In a very very hypothetical if Minny fired Pitino and offered Miles the job for $1.8M don't you think he'd take it?

If we're coming off a successful season and he gets a 3-4 year extension (which would also typically come with a raise as well) then...no I don't.  

He's not going to be given 6 years at Minnesota.  He probably won't even get 4.   Higher expectations and less money....I suppose it's not unthinkable, but I still struggle seeing all the necessary dominoes fall to have that happen.

25 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm going to anyway ?. Disclosure - I like Miles and want him to succeed and thought he could have. With that said I think what draws the ire of most is what a dumb decision a 1 year extention is for the overall health of the program. I would have been completely fine if the last AD fired him last year or the new AD fired him this year. Would I have been a little upset and salty for a bit? Sure. See the disclosure above. But I won't argue he has shown beyond any reasonable doubt he deserves to be here. After next year look at roster. It slim pickins. I think we can all agree Miles bread and butter has been the transfer market for recruiting. And the last AD and now this AD have essentially cut his legs out from under him each of the last two seasons. So if at this point you don't believe in a guy get rid of him. Don't sacrifice the long term health of the program because you are indecisive and need your mind made up for you. The arguments against Miles are the data is there he is what he is. And thats fine. I can't even really argue against it. But don't in the same breadth then tell me the 1 year extention was the right decision.

But if Moos didn't have his guy lined up...wouldn't firing Miles and hiring another guy, who isn't the right guy, and will inevitably be here 4-5 years at minimum also be sacrificing the long term healthy of the program?

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

But if Moos didn't have his guy lined up...wouldn't firing Miles and hiring another guy, who isn't the right guy, and will inevitably be here 4-5 years at minimum also be sacrificing the long term healthy of the program?

Sure. But what proof is there that Moos will have his guy next year or the year after that. AD get paid to make tough decisions in the here and now and Moos punted.

7 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Sure. But what proof is there that Moos will have his guy next year or the year after that. AD get paid to make tough decisions in the here and now and Moos punted.

No proof.   But I sure feel more confident in him having a year to get his ducks in a row rather than acting on short notice.   He's 5 months in and the first 2-3 months were spent dealing with the football mess, AD restructuring, etc.   Giving him a full year and season to witness and observe the program and put out feelers, most certainly couldn't be a bad thing.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

No proof.   But I sure feel more confident in him having a year to get his ducks in a row rather than acting on short notice.   He's 5 months in and the first 2-3 months were spent dealing with the football mess, AD restructuring, etc.   Giving him a full year and season to witness and observe the program and put out feelers, most certainly couldn't be a bad thing.

I guess this is where you and I just don't agree. The original response was to the question if people really thought Miles was getting a raw deal. Thats a big old nope. But I believe and you don't is Miles isn't Moos guy and his indecisiveness on getting rid of him hurts long term. We shall see. I sure hope he gets his ducks in a row and makes a knock out hire (whatever that is) because I also believe we are going to be looking fo a coach next year. And hope springs eternal ?

Miles has not established a solid enough record to be hired by another Power 6 BB school if he is dismissed or chooses to leave.  I could see him employed by a Division I School in the mid range of conferences.

Everyone seems to be in a panic about seasons after next year.  My focus is on NEXT season.  Our past history does not bode well for us to be an annual power in B.B.  Moos will have to scour the Lower Div I schools or Power 6 Assistants to find a successor.  Until that time comes, if and when it does, let’s focus on next year being a good one.  Even if all the key players return we might not get to 22 wins.

2 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I do think the 1 year extension was the right course...a longer extension might have sent the fans to the door.

I'm curious to hear your reasoning on this. I suppose my hypothesis would be that it wouldn't really make that much of a difference to attendance. If things go south, people will dwindle but Miles would likely be gone by the end of next season anyway. But if things improve, then you've got more stability in your coach's tenure and (maybe) get one or two recruits in the time that may otherwise be hesitant to commit since Miles has such a short leash.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

I'm curious to hear your reasoning on this. I suppose my hypothesis would be that it wouldn't really make that much of a difference to attendance. If things go south, people will dwindle but Miles would likely be gone by the end of next season anyway. But if things improve, then you've got more stability in your coach's tenure and (maybe) get one or two recruits in the time that may otherwise be hesitant to commit since Miles has such a short leash.

I live in Iowa currently...They extended Fran McCaffrey through like 2024 give or take a year....and Apathy is starting to simmer with the fanbase.

An Extension to a coach that has mediocre results does not sit well with the average fan who looks at a an extension until 2024 and thinks, we are stuck with Fran for the next 6 years even if they continue to suck...believe me they sure were pissing an moaning about Ferrentz's extensions too.

Is recruiting a little harder, maybe...but I think it is way over stated how contract length  affects a recruits attitude about a school...Now a coach on the hot seat that will affect a recruit...but as many have stated on this board, the extension to 5 years doesn't mean anything because Miles would be fired after next year if the season is not up to expectations....so players and potential recruits see that as well.

I think an announcement my Moos that Miles was extended to 2024 would not have sat well with the average fan...who looks at his record and says 97-97...gets you 6 more years...I guess we are happy to just field a team.

6 hours ago, nustudent said:

Moos doesn't need a full year.  He had that already.  The guy was hired in the middle of October and didn't attend a game until Wisconsin in January.  I look at that and think this guy just ignored the second highest revenue generating program for 3 months.  That's some great AD-ing there.  By the way, Frost was hired two weeks before the Kansas game and Moos couldn't drag himself to that.  

What it boils down to is that any of us could have been the AD to hire Frost as long as we let the puppeteers pull the strings and everyone behind the scenes do the legwork like Moos did. If Moos was a real AD he would have been at the biggest home game in years, especially since the football staff was already back at UCF.  Everything about the way he handled basketball the past month stinks whether it be from not making Kenya an offer he couldn't refuse to stay and keep recruiting up or dragging the extension out over a month only to make it for a year. To anyone with a brain this seems like the puppeteers are pulling the strings again and they couldn't fire Miles after 22 wins so they decided to do the best they can to make it an impossible situation for future success. 

13 hours ago, nustudent said:

He's 5 months in and the first 2-3 months were spent dealing with the football mess, AD restructuring, etc.   Giving him a full year and season to witness and observe the program and put out feelers, most certainly couldn't be a bad thing.

This. I understand the arguments for and against the one-year extension, but I'm really surprised by the bitterness toward Moos. I don't think he's a hero for hiring Frost (who wouldn't have done that?), but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on what he's trying to do with basketball instead of deciding he (1) is an idiot or (2) doesn't care about basketball. 

Easier to have a strong opinion if you only understand your own side.

7 hours ago, jimmychitwood said:

Moos doesn't need a full year.  He had that already.  The guy was hired in the middle of October and didn't attend a game until Wisconsin in January.  I look at that and think this guy just ignored the second highest revenue generating program for 3 months.  That's some great AD-ing there.  By the way, Frost was hired two weeks before the Kansas game and Moos couldn't drag himself to that.  

What it boils down to is that any of us could have been the AD to hire Frost as long as we let the puppeteers pull the strings and everyone behind the scenes do the legwork like Moos did. If Moos was a real AD he would have been at the biggest home game in years, especially since the football staff was already back at UCF.  Everything about the way he handled basketball the past month stinks whether it be from not making Kenya an offer he couldn't refuse to stay and keep recruiting up or dragging the extension out over a month only to make it for a year. To anyone with a brain this seems like the puppeteers are pulling the strings again and they couldn't fire Miles after 22 wins so they decided to do the best they can to make it an impossible situation for future success. 

If you were the AD, would you go to the Kansas basketball game or the volleyball National Championship game?

15 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Just so I'm on the same page - in this hypothetical Miles would leave for Minny because he has connections to the state right? Because Miles leaving Nebraska after 7 years, for Minny whose fired their last two coaches after 6 years (with considerably more success than Miles) seems like it would be the equivalent to leaving a loyal girl to go date one of the Kardashians. 

Should I have used more verys?

14 hours ago, nustudent said:

If we're coming off a successful season and he gets a 3-4 year extension (which would also typically come with a raise as well) then...no I don't.  

He's not going to be given 6 years at Minnesota.  He probably won't even get 4.   Higher expectations and less money....I suppose it's not unthinkable, but I still struggle seeing all the necessary dominoes fall to have that happen.

13 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

All these numbers tell me is that Nebraska basketball fans have come to expect a half-ass commitment from the top and then act surprised when the team flops...

I know everyone on this board wants to talk about the big picture, but not everyone is that involved in Nebraska Basketball. To the casual observer, the team just won 22 games and certainly, they would have no sense of a flop having taken place.

FTR, I like Bill Moos. He has done a lot for Nebraska athletics already. Many who believe Scott Frost was a slam dunk to come here are mistaken. Scott was not going to come here and just work for any old AD. BM also had to clean up a complete mess in the AD's office. It can't be overstated how much work he had to do in a short period of time. Also, as has been mentioned, the mess that is TM contract was inherited as well. I understand what he is trying to do here, I just so happen to disagree with his strategy. 

I can see where this might work out and where it might fail. I don't agree when people say BM is not TM fan. I just don't think he has had enough time to evaluate.

My issue is the optics and the very real impact this could, and likely will have on recruiting. Whether people like it or not a 3yr contract hurts recruiting. That is the real world.