Let me get this straight...

23 hours ago, nustudent said:

As far as recruiting goes, considering Hunter's impact, that hire of the assistant coach may carry more weight.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Miles go the AAU route. A coach who will bring a player or 2 for the chance to get their foot in the door coaching at a major football conference.

21 hours ago, PimpMario said:

I will be less likely to go to no name State next year knowing that Moos doesn't believe in Miles or seem to care about basketball.

So yeah this could have an effect on attendance. I can't believe how unexcited I am for next year. Feels like just another year of Nebrasketball heartache.

Bingo. Every single game we play next season will seem like his job is on the line. I for one will be more inclined to give away my tickets to some of the lesser games.

The pressure cooker at the Vault is going to be off the charts. 

5 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Bingo. Every single game we play next season will seem like his job is on the line. I for one will be more inclined to give away my tickets to some of the lesser games.

Yep.  And the rotten thing is that if the coaches know it, the players will know it too.  This year was supposed to be that year.  Next year was supposed to be the year where we just go out and play loose.  Now instead we have another year of what if games to play.  We have another year of playing under pressure from the top down.

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Yep.  And the rotten thing is that if the coaches know it, the players will know it too.  This year was supposed to be that year.  Next year was supposed to be the year where we just go out and play loose.  Now instead we have another year of what if games to play.  We have another year of playing under pressure from the top down.

Maybe that was part of the reason we win 22 games 

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Which is great and that could be.  However, that is a good way to attain some success.  It doesn't seem like a good strategy to maintain success.

Long term is probably agree.   But this program has needed and still needs to have a sense of urgency.   Perhaps the pressure helped.   

Win again and it shows you aren’t just a flash in the pan and you get more time 

Which is great and that could be.  However, that is a good way to attain some success.  It doesn't seem like a good strategy to maintain success.
Bo proved you can't live on the "us against the world" mentality very long.

Recruiting has been hurt and the momentum of the program feels stalled. Even if we have an okay year next year what about after that.

9 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Bo proved you can't live on the "us against the world" mentality very long.

Recruiting has been hurt and the momentum of the program feels stalled. Even if we have an okay year next year what about after that.

Miles gets an extension and if he takes it, will get beaten down for having a bad year in years 2 and 3.  Sure the extension was ok for the now, but it was bad for the the few years following the next two.

10 hours ago, nustudent said:

Don't think Miles leaves for another school.   Even with a good year (NCAA bid and win) next year, that brings his tenure here up to mediocre on the surface.   No other blue blood is coming in offering $2.5MM+ for a guy who is barely over .500. 

This is where I disagree with you. To me the argument you are making boils it down to just record. It takes out history. We historically suck on epic levels compared to other power 5 schools. I don't believe an AD will only look at record. If Miles gets us to the tournament next year it will be postseason 3 out of 7 years and tournament 2 of 7. After an almost 20 year absence before he got here. One of our best conference finishes ever. And if he gets a win it will literally be at the last power 5 school to do so. All the while being hamstrung be his own administration for a solid 3 years straight. I think he looks a lot better on paper than just a record.

Edited by cornfed24-7

4 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

This is where I disagree with you. To me the argument you are making boils it down to just record. It takes out history. We historically suck on epic levels compared to other power 5 schools. I don't believe an AD will only look at record. If Miles gets us to the tournament next year it will be 3 out of 8 years. After an almost 20 year absence before he got here. One of our best conference finishes ever. And if he gets a win it will literally be at the last power 5 school to do so. All the while being hamstrung be his own administration for a solid 3 years straight. I think he looks a lot better on paper than just a record.

Huh???

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

I don't see it as a pressure cooker.   For  us, anyway.  Pressure is when you don't know what its gonna happen.  Here we know, it is over in March, 2019 for Miles at Nebraska.    Miles will have some pressure, as wins will help him get the next job.   I suppose a Moos has s0me if we win a lot (don't see it happening) and Miles gives us the middle finger he looks bad.   But the dye is cast, so I don't equate it with pressure cooker.  

1 minute ago, HB said:

I don't see it as a pressure cooker.   For  us, anyway.  Pressure is when you don't know what its gonna happen.  Here we know, it is over in March, 2019 for Miles at Nebraska.    Miles will have some pressure, as wins will help him get the next job.   I suppose a Moos has s0me if we win a lot (don't see it happening) and Miles gives us the middle finger he looks bad.   But the dye is cast, so I don't equate it with pressure cooker.  

I agree with this too. If everyone comes back they'll know the hand that has been delt. Hell they might even come in loose. If Miles is worth anything as a Coach he should have them boys ready to play and not concern themselves in the least with his employment status. This should be the best team he has ever had time to show 'em what you can do coach ?

I still think it’s way to early to say he won’t be here in 2019.   It doesn’t look good and he’s certainly in his last chance if he fails.    But I have a real hard time seeing him getting fired if we win 20+ and make the dance.    

And I don’t see him getting $2.5 MM somewhere else 

Edited by nustudent

38 minutes ago, nustudent said:

And I don’t see him getting $2.5 MM somewhere else

Miles has made a considerable amount of money now coaching where making as much or more money somewhere doesn't need to be the end all. 

In a very very hypothetical if Minny fired Pitino and offered Miles the job for $1.8M don't you think he'd take it?

11 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Miles has made a considerable amount of money now coaching where making as much or more money somewhere doesn't need to be the end all. 

In a very very hypothetical if Minny fired Pitino and offered Miles the job for $1.8M don't you think he'd take it?

Just so I'm on the same page - in this hypothetical Miles would leave for Minny because he has connections to the state right? Because Miles leaving Nebraska after 7 years, for Minny whose fired their last two coaches after 6 years (with considerably more success than Miles) seems like it would be the equivalent to leaving a loyal girl to go date one of the Kardashians. 

7 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Just so I'm on the same page - in this hypothetical Miles would leave for Minny because he has connections to the state right? Because Miles leaving Nebraska after 7 years, for Minny whose fired their last two coaches after 6 years (with considerably more success than Miles) seems like it would be the equivalent to leaving a loyal girl to go date one of the Kardashians. 

That's eerily close to Altman's situation. Coming back to his state roots, taking over a job where the past three coaches were there for 6 years.

(Sorry, I had to :lol:)

Just now, HuskerFever said:

That's eerily close to Altman's situation. Coming back to his state roots, taking over a job where the past three coaches were there for 6 years.

(Sorry, I had to :lol:)

The girls to college basketball jobs comparison has no end.....every coach looking for a loyal & attractive girl, unfortunately all the loyal girls are taken or, to put it bluntly, they are ugly. All the attractive girls will dump you in a second for something better. That would probably make us a butterface.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

do people really think miles is getting a raw deal? he's the 35th highest paid coach for making the tourney 1 time in 6 years. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm going to anyway ?. Disclosure - I like Miles and want him to succeed and thought he could have. With that said I think what draws the ire of most is what a dumb decision a 1 year extention is for the overall health of the program. I would have been completely fine if the last AD fired him last year or the new AD fired him this year. Would I have been a little upset and salty for a bit? Sure. See the disclosure above. But I won't argue he has shown beyond any reasonable doubt he deserves to be here. After next year look at roster. It slim pickins. I think we can all agree Miles bread and butter has been the transfer market for recruiting. And the last AD and now this AD have essentially cut his legs out from under him each of the last two seasons. So if at this point you don't believe in a guy get rid of him. Don't sacrifice the long term health of the program because you are indecisive and need your mind made up for you. The arguments against Miles are the data is there he is what he is. And thats fine. I can't even really argue against it. But don't in the same breadth then tell me the 1 year extention was the right decision.