Jump to content
Norm Peterson

Is Bill Moos going to give me a year off my donations?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

 

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

 

Even extended to 5 years it would be one of the cheaper buyouts in the conference.

One could make the argument that football $$ fuels the school so football should get the lionshare of money to firing coaches

 

That was as of 4/1 which means he only had 2yrs left on his contract at the time. Would like to see the current buyout. Be curious to see if that buyout number went up or stayed the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That was as of 4/1 which means he only had 2yrs left on his contract at the time. Would like to see the current buyout. Be curious to see if that buyout number went up or stayed the same. 

 

The buyout stayed the same on a per-year basis. So you should expect to see that number go up from $2.52M to around $3.78M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HuskerFever said:

 

The buyout stayed the same on a per-year basis. So you should expect to see that number go up from $2.52M to around $3.78M.

 

If it's the same it will be 2.52M on April 1st of 2019.

The amount is 105K per month which is $1.26M/year

With a 2 year extension it would have been 3,78M at the end of 2019 and 5.04M if it had been 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

If it's the same it will be 2.52M on April 1st of 2019.

The amount is 105K per month which is $1.26M/year

With a 2 year extension it would have been 3,78M at the end of 2019 and 5.04M if it had been 3.

 

Good point. That's assuming he makes it the full year though. At this juncture, I don't really know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

Good point. That's assuming he makes it the full year though. At this juncture, I don't really know.

 

When is the last time we fired anyone mid-season? When's the last time we fired anyone mid-season for not winning enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The writing is on the wall for Tim.  He knows this. I for one believe next year is his last on Lincoln regardless of outcome. I do believe he will look at other jobs next year.  Heck I could even see Minnesota make a run at him after Pittino struggles again. It sucks for fans because it’s really a lost cycle or two for recruiting purposes. You lose your best player on this current class and your best recruiter is gone. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lanigan123 said:

The writing is on the wall for Tim.  He knows this. I for one believe next year is his last on Lincoln regardless of outcome. I do believe he will look at other jobs next year.  Heck I could even see Minnesota make a run at him after Pittino struggles again. It sucks for fans because it’s really a lost cycle or two for recruiting purposes. You lose your best player on this current class and your best recruiter is gone. 

 

 

 

 

He'd have to go really deep in the tournament for him to get a better job than this. Minnesota has its sights set a lot higher than a coach with a sub-.500 record in 12 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt a P5/Big East school would seriously consider Miles. Nebraska’s facilities and fan base are known and respected commodities. Schools like Minnesota will see that Miles struggled at Nebraska and move on. I do see Miles catching on at a mid major like New Mexico. The smart, more established mid majors will not hire the next up and coming coach.  They hire a more established coach who isn’t going to look around and recruit for his system. 

 

The sad thing is that Nebraska’s bereft tradition leaves fans accepting Miles 2017-2018 season as a high water mark. Meanwhile, LSU fired Johnny Jones, a good coach who built North Texas into a solid program, despite having a markedly better record than Miles over a shorter period. 

 

Sorry for the rant. I guess I am tired of rehashing whether we should continue to allow Miles to built his bridge to no where (or at least what seems to be a plan of unfulfilled expectations). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Donkey said:

Meanwhile, LSU fired Johnny Jones, a good coach who built North Texas into a solid program, despite having a markedly better record than Miles over a shorter period. 

 

Interesting comparison. L$U was the team that was better at recruiting to land Elbert Robin$on over us. Jones then followed up not making it to the NCAA tourney with Ben Simmons by only winning 10 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

In my opinion, this is his last Power 5 job, barring a good two or three year run here at Nebraska.

 

That might very well be true.  He's 52 this fall if my math is correct.  Assuming he leaves after this next season, he could land very comfortably at an upper-level mid-major with a 7 year deal that would take him to age 60.  My recollection was that's all the further he planned on going with coaching anyway.  It wears a fella out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

 

That might very well be true.  He's 52 this fall if my math is correct.  Assuming he leaves after this next season, he could land very comfortably at an upper-level mid-major with a 7 year deal that would take him to age 60.  My recollection was that's all the further he planned on going with coaching anyway.  It wears a fella out.

That is why I don't think he leaves Nebraska next year unless he is officially shown the door from Moos.

 

My opinon, is he knows his status is precarious (which is why he took only a 1 year extension rather than 3 years with probably the same buyout)....

 

If Miles can win next year, he probably will get the 5 years total contract without having to forgo any of the buyout.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

That is why I don't think he leaves Nebraska next year unless he is officially shown the door from Moos.

 

My opinon, is he knows his status is precarious (which is why he took only a 1 year extension rather than 3 years with probably the same buyout)....

 

If Miles can win next year, he probably will get the 5 years total contract without having to forgo any of the buyout.

 

 

 

 

Miles wanted a full, three year extension.  He did not get it.  Miles has been in a precarious position for a couple of years now.  A year ago, Miles was told Nebraska had to be dancing in 2018 or he would be fired.  Miles has a job because (a) Nebraska finished 4th in the B1G; (b) the belief Nebraska should have been in the tournament and was screwed by the committee; and (c) a good amount of talent is supposedly coming back.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donkey said:

A year ago, Miles was told Nebraska had to be dancing in 2018 or he would be fired. 

I know that was a rumor, but do we know this as a fact?  I don't recall Eichorst making that claim publically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/301903/2018/04/06/nebraskas-tim-miles-could-be-back-in-same-boat-he-was-a-year-ago/

Opening line of the story

 

Quote

Two months before his sixth season at Nebraska, coach Tim Miles was told his job was on the line. “I’m really going to need to see discernible improvement to keep you here,” then athletic director Shawn Eichorst told Miles in 2017.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

 

Well that's not great news.  OWH picked up on this story today too:  http://www.omaha.com/huskers/washington-state-audit-finds-extensive-mismanagement-under-former-a-d/article_53d08ba0-b87b-5c5f-8835-451872a6e0de.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×