Jump to content
Norm Peterson

Is Bill Moos going to give me a year off my donations?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Jugular said:

 

Correct. That’s the rumor on another board where people are trying to throw shit against the wall and/or to make Tim look like the bad guy. 


Yeah, Miles won 22 games with none of them being NCAA tourney games. That's some leverage, it's not a ton.

 

He was obviously angling for 3 via the OWH.  He was probably offered 1.  You could split the difference and go 2, putting you at just under 4 years left.

Miles would have already signed that because cheese and rice getting something done sooner is much better for all parties involved then later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:


Yeah, Miles won 22 games with none of them being NCAA tourney games. That's some leverage, it's not a ton.

 

He was obviously angling for 3 via the OWH.  He was probably offered 1.  You could split the difference and go 2, putting you at just under 4 years left.

Miles would have already signed that because cheese and rice getting something done sooner is much better for all parties involved then later.

 

I feel very confident that he’d be just fine with 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply fail to understand our AD's failure to finalize this. I can think of no benefit from postponing the decision further since it has been nearly a month since he categorically stated that Miles was his coach for the future. Moos must not be a student of history. Otherwise he would know that the "slowly twisting in the wind strategy" did not turn out well for either John Mitchell or Dick Nixon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

After seeing the news that he is getting a 1 year extension, maybe Miles was the holdup and didn't want a 1 year deal...  Maybe he was wanting something longer and wouldn't sign the 1 year deal.

Yep. No doubt Miles wanted a longer deal and it appears Moos just wasn’t budging.  Pretty clear that Miles will not be here much longer. If he wins next year he probably leaves. If he losses he is likely fired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least its done. Thats about the only good point to this whole situation. My opinion is this signals that regardless of the outcome next year we will be going through a coaching search. To me this is about the worst situation we could have possibly been in regarding our coach. My hope is the players rally around thier coach and send him out on top 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Well at least its done. Thats about the only good point to this whole situation. My opinion is this signals that regardless of the outcome next year we will be going through a coaching search. To me this is about the worst situation we could have possibly been in regarding our coach. My hope is the players rally around thier coach and send him out on top 😀

Yeah Moos really didn't do much to help the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

He's now working on a 3-year contract. Would it have made that much difference for him to get 4 years? And I don't know why you'd give him an unqualified endorsement with 5 or more years, because he just hasn't earned that. 

 

 

Agree he hasn't earned a 5 year deal, but 2 years at least gets in the door for telling kids I have four years, I will be your coach the entire time you're here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, colhusker said:
45 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

He's now working on a 3-year contract. Would it have made that much difference for him to get 4 years? And I don't know why you'd give him an unqualified endorsement with 5 or more years, because he just hasn't earned that. 

 

 

Agree he hasn't earned a 5 year deal, but 2 years at least gets in the door for telling kids I have four years, I will be your coach the entire time you're here.

 

It's also in the realm of possibility that Miles has another solid year and then takes his talents to South Beach elsewhere. So either way Moos is probably finding a new coach in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, hhcdimes said:

If we make the assumption that after a year he flames out and is fired it's very likely that he will be hired within a year for 3+ years.  If you take that into consideration then extending him multiple years is not paying him 2+ million per year for x years; it's extending him for 2+ million minus what another school pays him. 

 

That sort of strategy didn't pan out well for Nebraska with the last 2 football coaches that were fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That sort of strategy didn't pan out well for Nebraska with the last 2 football coaches that were fired.

 

We are currently paying Riley less because he has another job. I think the same is true for Pelini. Was I trying to say Miles was going to land another $2+ mil job? No and doubtful.

If anything the football coach's contract illustrate that Miles' job wouldn't be significantly more secure with a longer contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Then I will edit it to "Yeah Moos and Bounds really didn't do much to help the team".

 

Would did you expect Moos to do?  I would have only offered a 1 or maybe 2 year extension at most as well.  Miles hasn't proved he can get us any further than he has in 6 years so why give him an longer term contract?  If he has another good year next year, then he could earn a longer contract but if not, then Moos can fire him and not pay out a lot of money.  Seems pretty logical to me.  You look worse if you give him a 4 year extension and then fire him the next year.  I think Moos did the right thing in this situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kldm64 said:

 

Would did you expect Moos to do?  I would have only offered a 1 or maybe 2 year extension at most as well.  Miles hasn't proved he can get us any further than he has in 6 years so why give him an longer term contract?  If he has another good year next year, then he could earn a longer contract but if not, then Moos can fire him and not pay out a lot of money.  Seems pretty logical to me.  You look worse if you give him a 4 year extension and then fire him the next year.  I think Moos did the right thing in this situation.

 

It just depends how big of a ditch you want the next coach to dig out of when the current coach leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

It just depends how big of a ditch you want the next coach to dig out of when the current coach leaves.

 

We're the only Power Five school to never win a Tournament game. How much deeper can the ditch get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

That sort of strategy didn't pan out well for Nebraska with the last 2 football coaches that were fired.

 

15 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

We are currently paying Riley less because he has another job. I think the same is true for Pelini. Was I trying to say Miles was going to land another $2+ mil job? No and doubtful.

If anything the football coach's contract illustrate that Miles' job wouldn't be significantly more secure with a longer contract.

Mike Riley is getting paid $50,000 per year by Oregon State to be an assistant now, Pelini is getting paid around $220,000 per year at Youngstown.  Essentially NU is paying the full amount of the buyouts.  (Plus, in the last four years, for two football coaching staffs, for some other football assistants like Banker & Read, for Eichorst, for Connie Yori - in the neighborhood of $20 million.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

It just depends how big of a ditch you want the next coach to dig out of when the current coach leaves.

 

I wasn't looking at the right part of Miles contract either.

If we fire him it's $105k per month or $1.260 per year.

As the guy is employable we're talking about pinching pennies to gamble on killing recruiting momentum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

 

Would did you expect Moos to do?  I would have only offered a 1 or maybe 2 year extension at most as well.  Miles hasn't proved he can get us any further than he has in 6 years so why give him an longer term contract?  If he has another good year next year, then he could earn a longer contract but if not, then Moos can fire him and not pay out a lot of money.  Seems pretty logical to me.  You look worse if you give him a 4 year extension and then fire him the next year.  I think Moos did the right thing in this situation.

Had you read that thread you would have seen I said he didn't deserve a 5 year deal, simply a 2 year deal so he can tell a kid and his parents he will be here the 4 years of a kid he is recruiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Well at least its done. Thats about the only good point to this whole situation. My opinion is this signals that regardless of the outcome next year we will be going through a coaching search. To me this is about the worst situation we could have possibly been in regarding our coach. My hope is the players rally around thier coach and send him out on top 😀

I don't believe that's a foregone conclusion at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post here and this is a general post for all these Tim Miles extension threads.

 

When did 22-11 overall and 13-5 in the conference become not good enough for Husker fans? Sure our schedule was a little on the easier side this year, and it would have been nice to see a better finish in the conference tournament and NIT. I get the impression from reading these boards that some people forget this was a historic season for the team. Yeah it's crazy that making the NIT and bowing out game 1 is historic but that's the sad state of affairs of Husker hoops. 

 

A one year extension is a massive setback to any progress that's been made in this program over Miles' tenure. Two postseason appearances and a program that is finally able to attract talent, regardless of whether through transfer or recruiting. It just feels as if all that has now been thrown out the door just to leave us in limbo for a year with a lame duck coach. I just feel this year was a crossroads year for his contract. Either he's your guy and you extend him AT LEAST 2 years to let him keep the ball rolling, or you decide he's not your guy and move on. This just feels like a situation where Bill Moos got this completely wrong and we're the ones to suffer.

Edited by huskerpower13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×