Is Bill Moos going to give me a year off my donations?

11 minutes ago, huskerpower13 said:

What makes you guys think Tim will stick around after next season even with success? He's been shown no confidence from our administration since the time he's been here and if I was him I would be out the door at first chance because of this.

he's had 4 losing seasons out of 6, and he's still employed. that seems like enough confidence to me.

Edited by TimSmiles

If Miles thinks he is leaving after next year, because has a great year...than he should have refused the extension....because the only reason you sign it, is because you want the cash if your fired.

Signing the extension even if only 1 more year, makes you a little less marketable if another school comes looking because they have to buyout 2 years instead of 1.

2 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

If Miles thinks he is leaving after next year, because has a great year...than he should have refused the extension....because the only reason you sign it, is because you want the cash if your fired.

Signing the extension even if only 1 more year, makes you a little less marketable if another school comes looking because they have to buyout 2 years instead of 1.

Pretty sure this AD would pay someone to to take Miles ?

6 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

It's only $105K a month.   A little over 1.2MM for that year.   That's nothing to a school.  If someone wants Miles, that is a total non-issue.

33 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

As of the previous contract, the buyout is a flat $700k regardless of length of years left.

33 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

As of the previous contract, the buyout is a flat $700k regardless of length of years left.

And this is actually why I think Moos is more on TM's side than not, which is probably where most fans are at after last season.  If he wants to get rid of TM, he can.  Easily.  But I think cautiously extending his contract after a very good season is the right thing to do.  I don't think Moos is holding out for a bigger name--I think he's holding out to see if TM can have a Big Dance season (anyone in their right mind would say it was an NCAA tournament-caliber team/coaching job last year) two years in a row.  A big extension will be offered if TM delivers next year, and rightfully so.  

Again, my only exception is Matta.  He's literally the only coach on the market I'd take over Miles.  

6 minutes ago, LK1 said:

And this is actually why I think Moos is more on TM's side than not, which is probably where most fans are at after last season.  If he wants to get rid of TM, he can.  Easily.  But I think cautiously extending his contract after a very good season is the right thing to do.  I don't think Moos is holding out for a bigger name--I think he's holding out to see if TM can have a Big Dance season (anyone in their right mind would say it was an NCAA tournament-caliber team/coaching job last year) two years in a row.  A big extension will be offered if TM delivers next year, and rightfully so.  

Again, my only exception is Matta.  He's literally the only coach on the market I'd take over Miles.  

Just so we're clear

Another school/Miles buyout money: $700k

Nebraska firing Miles: $105k * amount of months left in contract. If we were to fire Miles after next year it would cost $2.52M (minus any other employment)

He's more easily able to get rid of Miles because he didn't extend him more years than he did.

image.png

As to whether Miles wins 21 games, makes the tourney, but we fire him because someone else we want also wants to come here? You're probably right that doesn't happen but who knows.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Just so we're clear

Nebraska firing Miles: $105k * amount of months left in contract. If we were to fire Miles after next year it would cost $2.52M (minus any other employment)

He's more easily able to get rid of Miles because he didn't extend him more years than he did.

image.png

As to whether Miles wins 21 games, makes the tourney, but we fire him because someone else we want also wants to come here? You're probably right that doesn't happen but who knows.

To me this is sound reasoning....

Coaches with three contracts might have to work a little harder, build deeper relationships with recruits, but he still has three years of $105,000 a month guaranteed income....That is a pretty secure future.

16 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Just so we're clear

image.png

Misread it, thanks for correcting.  

28 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

To me this is sound reasoning....

Coaches with three contracts might have to work a little harder, build deeper relationships with recruits, but he still has three years of $105,000 a month guaranteed income....That is a pretty secure future.

To be clear, that's just Miles. That's not the assistants or staff, whose futures are also tied to this, and presumably that was a decent-sized factor in one person deciding that's not a secure enough future and moved on. If we think that won't play a factor in finding a suitable replacement, we're kidding ourselves.

6 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

To be clear, that's just Miles. That's not the assistants or staff, whose futures are also tied to this, and presumably that was a decent-sized factor in one person deciding that's not a secure enough future and moved on. If we think that won't play a factor in finding a suitable replacement, we're kidding ourselves.

Do you think that's why Kenya left? It could be a small reason, but I'm inclined to think he has been applying for head coaching positions and hasn't gotten any bites and feedback dictated he needed to change in order to be more desirable for those openings. I think Kenya is smart enough to know whatever contract Miles was on next year, it was make or break. College basketball coaching is a small fraternity, those guys know the situation at Nebraska -  contract illusion aside. Miles is a creative dude, I could see him pulling off a pretty good hire.

11 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Do you think that's why Kenya left? It could be a small reason, but I'm inclined to think he has been applying for head coaching positions and hasn't gotten any bites and feedback dictated he needed to change in order to be more desirable for those openings. I think Kenya is smart enough to know whatever contract Miles was on next year, it was make or break. College basketball coaching is a small fraternity, those guys know the situation at Nebraska -  contract illusion aside. Miles is a creative dude, I could see him pulling off a pretty good hire.

no. uconn won a championship 4 years ago and is a blue blood program. 

we've never won an ncaa tourney game. that's why kenya left.

#1 reason Kenya left is security. He's "starting over" with another coach at year 1 and will likely have 3-5 years minimum as long as he performs OK. He is probably making more money as well. But I think the uncertainty here is the #1 reason for leaving. Heck, Miles understands I'm sure. He gets how the business works. He tried to make it worth Kenya's time to stay but it was a good opportunity.

7 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

#1 reason Kenya left is security. He's "starting over" with another coach at year 1 and will likely have 3-5 years minimum as long as he performs OK. He is probably making more money as well. But I think the uncertainty here is the #1 reason for leaving. Heck, Miles understands I'm sure. He gets how the business works. He tried to make it worth Kenya's time to stay but it was a good opportunity.

Security is big, but it's not solely based on the extension issue. He's going to a much better program in a staff that's just starting off. And while optimism runs high here,  it's a real possibility that NU doesn't make the tournament again next year and Miles gets fired, regardless of the length of the extension. I'd argue he goes to UConn based on it being a better job with a brighter future. The extension is just a small piece of a bigger picture.

If he thought we were going to make a deep run next year, wouldn't he have stayed because everyone would get a new deal from Moos? That's a more relevant question than if he had stayed with a 2-year extension.

Don't really buy Kenya's move was about stability.   I'd argue it was about visability and upside.   UCONN despite, their downfall the last few years is a college hoops blueblood.   They have 3 championships in the last 20 years.   How many other schools can say that?   Duke, maybe Kentucky and UNC without looking.   The upside possibility at UCONN is much higher.

It'd be like staying as an assistant coach in football at Purdue when you have an offer to come to Nebraska.  Coupled with the fact that he wants to be a head coach, the added spotlight and position on the East Coast and proximity to his natural recruiting grounds, greatly enhances his chances of taking that step.

23 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

We are currently paying Riley less because he has another job. I think the same is true for Pelini. Was I trying to say Miles was going to land another $2+ mil job? No and doubtful.

If anything the football coach's contract illustrate that Miles' job wouldn't be significantly more secure with a longer contract.

Riley is essentially working for free at Oreg St.. While he is listed as the assistant head coach his salary is only $50k/yr! 

Taking into consideration that there would be any meaningful savings if he gets fired and subsequently finds another job is not realistic.

5 hours ago, nustudent said:

Don't really buy Kenya's move was about stability.   I'd argue it was about visability and upside.   UCONN despite, their downfall the last few years is a college hoops blueblood.   They have 3 championships in the last 20 years.   How many other schools can say that?   Duke, maybe Kentucky and UNC without looking.   The upside possibility at UCONN is much higher.

It'd be like staying as an assistant coach in football at Purdue when you have an offer to come to Nebraska.  Coupled with the fact that he wants to be a head coach, the added spotlight and position on the East Coast and proximity to his natural recruiting grounds, greatly enhances his chances of taking that step.

I think you make a good point but Kenya choosing to move from Georgetown to Nebraska means at least he doesn't always make job decisions base on visibility and upside.  

21 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Riley is essentially working for free at Oreg St.. While he is listed as the assistant head coach his salary is only $50k/yr! 

Taking into consideration that there would be any meaningful savings if he gets fired and subsequently finds another job is not realistic.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Even extended to 5 years it would be one of the cheaper buyouts in the conference.

One could make the argument that football $$ fuels the school so football should get the lionshare of money to firing coaches