Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bball23

Kenya Hunter

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

He is signed. Guess we could release him, but what incentive would there be for us?

 

 

It would be complete BS if Kenya pursed Xavier for UCONN but if so I don't see how we don't let Xavier go considering we will probably be dragged thru the mud for not letting a kid do what he wants to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

It would be complete BS if Kenya pursed Xavier for UCONN but if so I don't see how we don't let Xavier go considering we will probably be dragged thru the mud for not letting a kid do what he wants to do. 

 

We'll see about Kenya's character on this one. There are plenty of schools who would be interested in a player like X though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nustudent said:

 

Pelini had good not great results, but was an unlikeable as they come. 

Miles is average at best to this point.

Erstad agree.

 

Very easy to say 2 disappointments and one ok which couldve been okay had he not made one hate him

Think we are very similar in our thoughts other than to say only 1 disappointment, I would say Erstad was poor at best and 1 okay and as you said, given he made folks hate him, he needed to go.

Edited by colhusker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

 

 

It would be complete BS if Kenya pursed Xavier for UCONN but if so I don't see how we don't let Xavier go considering we will probably be dragged thru the mud for not letting a kid do what he wants to do. 

Why would we be dragged through the mud? We would be the only one of the three parties, NU-Kenya-Xavier that would be holding up their part of a legally binding document. If I was making the call I wouldn't even think about releasing him.

 

Now I'm not even a big enough jerk to pull this one but if he showed up and wouldn't perform you could redshirt him so he would lose a year of eligibility when he left. Now we would deserving of being dragged through the mud if we tried to pull that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The World Herald today said that Hunter was offered a $20,000 raise to stay and would receive the title of "Associate Head Coach"  The article also quoted Hunter saying that he has left Copeland twice now, and he (Copeland) understands the situation and he realizes that he and the team are in a real good position right now for next season. (paraphrasing a little there)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assistant coaches leaving are a different case than many of these, but when schools refuse to release kids it is usually written about by national writers and not in a favorable light. Forcing a kid to go somewhere he no longer wants to go or else face a stiff penalty is going to be held against your program, especially on the recruiting trail. If Xavier doesn't want to come to Nebraska any more, you let him go.

 

If he does want to go to UConn, that just proves Kenya was the reason he signed with Nebraska in the first place. If Xavier tells Kenya he wants to follow him, is he supposed to say no? Saying yes doesn't make him a bad guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jason2486 said:

Is there any credence to us reaching out to Altman, or is that just pure speculation?

 

It's probable we've reached out to Altman over the years more than Peter denied Jesus.

When I'm poking fun at Altman coming here, it's because he's the first name that people list after every season because it seems like the allure of drinking 12 Busch Lights at Wilber Czech days is going to make it happen. The reports of us contacting Altman? Sure, whatever. The reports that he's coming here? Send him to the Knights of Blanik table for his tankard of expired beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

 

It's probable we've reached out to Altman over the years more than Peter denied Jesus.

When I'm poking fun at Altman coming here, it's because he's the first name that people list after every season because it seems like the allure of drinking 12 Busch Lights at Wilber Czech days is going to make it happen. The reports of us contacting Altman? Sure, whatever. The reports that he's coming here? Send him to the Knights of Blanik table for his tankard of expired beer.

 

Wait... YOU SAID ALTMAN'S COMING?

 

tenor.gif?itemid=4836658

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Assistant coaches leaving are a different case than many of these, but when schools refuse to release kids it is usually written about by national writers and not in a favorable light. Forcing a kid to go somewhere he no longer wants to go or else face a stiff penalty is going to be held against your program, especially on the recruiting trail. If Xavier doesn't want to come to Nebraska any more, you let him go.

 

If he does want to go to UConn, that just proves Kenya was the reason he signed with Nebraska in the first place. If Xavier tells Kenya he wants to follow him, is he supposed to say no? Saying yes doesn't make him a bad guy.

So we should just let him off of his loi because of one coach leaving?  That’s a load of crap in my book. He signed his name on a legal document and needs to man up and take responsibility. He agreed to come here, get a FREE education and play ball. Maybe I’m just tired of us being bad, but if we lose him what do we have to look forward to in this recruiting class?

 

Maybe we should have just fired miles and gotten it over with. Hopefully this is just a big overreaction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Well that’s awesome! Things are going so well! Serious question because I don’t know the answer...do recruits ever get released from their LOIs because their lead recruiter moved on?

Northern Iowa let a kid out of his LOI eight years ago when there was a coaching change at Creighton.  The new Creighton coach and UNI coach were friendly.  The kid might have made a difference at Northern Iowa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following observation may prove archaic; but I am of the belief that if the HEAD coach is released or leaves, the player signing should be allowed to vacate his letter of intent.  If it is the assistant coach leaving, nope, the LOI should be honored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

So we should just let him off of his loi because of one coach leaving?  That’s a load of crap in my book. He signed his name on a legal document and needs to man up and take responsibility. He agreed to come here, get a FREE education and play ball. Maybe I’m just tired of us being bad, but if we lose him what do we have to look forward to in this recruiting class?

 

Maybe we should have just fired miles and gotten it over with. Hopefully this is just a big overreaction. 

 

Firing him the slow way.  Death by bonga bonga 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

Oh goodness, I haven't heard the death by bonga bonga joke in years.  Hilarious joke; perhaps one of the best ever. 

Was hoping someone got it!  😎😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The following observation may prove archaic; but I am of the belief that if the HEAD coach is released or leaves, the player signing should be allowed to vacate his letter of intent.  If it is the assistant coach leaving, nope, the LOI should be honored.

 

If the only reason the recruit came to a school is because of a relationship with an assistant coach, then the head coach did a really crappy job of selling his vision of the direction of the program and the first rate facilities in place.  I say release him.  Just my opinion....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually a school gets drug through the mud when the head coach leaves and they don’t let kids out of the LOI. Not sure how it would work if a kid wants to leave due to an assistant leaving, anyone recall this happening? They should make LOIs not a thing if they aren’t binding in my mind. 

 

On the the bright side an article that just dropped in the Lincoln journal points towards an extension being announced soon and miles has known about Kenya leaving since shortly after the last game the way it sounded so he may already have a replacement for Kenya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The following observation may prove archaic; but I am of the belief that if the HEAD coach is released or leaves, the player signing should be allowed to vacate his letter of intent.  If it is the assistant coach leaving, nope, the LOI should be honored.

Agreed, while they are redoing the one and done rule they should also look into not letting kids transfer until they have been at the school for two years unless the coach gets canned. It won’t fix the transfer problem but it would cut it down somewhat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My perception is that assistants tend to leave for various reasons.  Within our state another program lost an assistant who became a head coach at Drake.  I guess I do not see players released from letters of intent in most instances.  But then again, look at the number of Division I players transferring each year.  I am not sure a reason is needed these days other than to see what the other side of the pillow feels like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
If the only reason the recruit came to a school is because of a relationship with an assistant coach, then the head coach did a really crappy job of selling his vision of the direction of the program and the first rate facilities in place.  I say release him.  Just my opinion....
Release the recruit or the head coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Miles said he wasn't totally surprised to see Hunter move on after having a "really good heart-to-heart" after Nebraska's NIT loss. An assistant for his entire 20-year coaching career, Hunter wants to be a head coach. And there simply weren't many opportunities for Hunter to move up if he stayed in the Midwest

 

Let say that Miles had bolted 2 weeks ago. Would Hunter have had a snow ball's chance in hell of being the coach here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Let say that Miles had bolted 2 weeks ago. Would Hunter have had a snow ball's chance in hell of being the coach here?

 

No. Moos would not replace Miles with an assistant coach with no head-coaching experience. Moos wants to WIN, so if/when a coaching change is made, the hire will be higher profile than Kenya Hunter (no offense to Kenya Hunter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

 

No. Moos would not replace Miles with an assistant coach with no head-coaching experience. Moos wants to WIN, so if/when a coaching change is made, the hire will be higher profile than Kenya Hunter (no offense to Kenya Hunter).

 

And that's why it made sense for Kenya Hunter to go back east. I doubt any recruit will "follow" since he's now at UConn, unless the Huskies have a bunch of current spots available....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×