Kenya Hunter

bball23

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

You're just not looking at this from a realistic perspective. Tim Miles' job security is poor. Hanging by a thread is probably the best way to describe it right now. Tim knows it, his assistants know it and his players know it. What you're seeing are people trying to secure a stable future for themselves and their families, which they have every right to do, and which no reasonable person could challenge or dispute. If you know your boss isn't likely to survive for very much longer in his current role, would you not secure something more stable for you and your family? Making Nebraska great again doesn't pay college tuition or a mortgage.

This makes it that much harder to find a suitable replacement...  Who is going to want to come here for a 1-2 year stint...

1 minute ago, ConkintheCorner said:

This makes it that much harder to find a suitable replacement...  Who is going to want to come here for a 1-2 year stint...

An upstart, looking for a first job in D-I, I would imagine.

34 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Rough.  I wonder if the slow play by Moos has anything to do with it.

Maybe, maybe not.That job with Hurley in UConn would be hard to turn down because he's a very good coach and between Hunter, swiping Kimani Young, and that UConn name they are going to pull dudes quick. I know Hunter has been looking for a HC gig so we were probably fortunate to have him as long as we did.

2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Hey Hunter... Maybe you should take your own advice.  You basically just ****ed over our program from any momentum it had.  Thanks coach!

I don't see how anyone can fault Kenya for making a smart move.  He was here for five years.  It's not as if he half assed it and left right away. 

3 minutes ago, atskooc said:

"Nobody but me should leave this program"

3 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Hey Hunter... Maybe you should take your own advice.  You basically just ****ed over our program from any momentum it had.  Thanks coach!

I don't understand what long term obligation you guys think Hunter has to Nebraska's program. Coaches are poached all the time. He's very obviously moving to a premier program, and will likely making a lot more money. Not to mention, Moos hasn't exactly given Miles a ringing endorsement, so job security may have been a factor that weighed heavily in his decision. I get being disappointed that he's leaving, but it's certain nothing you can resent him for.

2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I'll take this as an initial reaction that probably everyone had.  One of those "better if I didn't say anything" reactions.  As much as it hurts, you can't fault him.  Job security and status is up in the air here, he probably wants a head coaching gig in the near future as well.  My best guess is that he was waiting for his kid to graduate to get that head coaching gig.  It looks a lot better on a resume to say that you were an influential recruiter under both Hurley and Miles.

I know it sucks, I don't fault you for that reaction.  I think everyone is upset.  However, when you look at it from the perspective of a coach, it's probably the best move for him.