Kenya Hunter

bball23

Miles said in a LJS write up that their focus this week is to essentially re-recruit their 2018 class and fill them in on their plans for the assistant vacany.

Also, said info of extentsion should be coming any day now but wouldnt say more. Hes going to let the official announcement come from AD Moos

Also, why force a kid to come here if he doesnt want too?

Wasting a whole year of resources and coaching on a kid who is just gonna leave next spring seems really really really (insert really a hundred more times) dumb.

That being said, hopefully after meeting with Miles and Co. any worries or doubts X Johnson has are squashed.

9 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Assistant coaches usually don't stick around forever - the only ones we've had in the last 50 years that were here as long or longer than Kenya were Moe Iba (1971-80), Tom Baack (1978-86), Gary Bargen (1987-95), Jimmy Williams (1993-99),  and Lynn Mitchem (1987-92). 

Wow, interesting.  I never would have guessed there were so few to do that.

56 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

It would, I believe, give us some positive momentum to have Moos release the details ASAP.  Especially with us going on the road to recruit both players and assistants.

I'm starting to think that Hunter's news at least had a part in Moos slow rolling this decision/announcement. They likely spent a good chunk of time and energy in figuring out how to manage this and have a plan going forward before solidifying any sort of contract with Miles.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Also, why force a kid to come here if he doesnt want too?

Wasting a whole year of resources and coaching on a kid who is just gonna leave next spring seems really really really (insert really a hundred more times) dumb.

That being said, hopefully after meeting with Miles and Co. any worries or doubts X Johnson has are squashed.

The thing is, the kid did/does want to come here.  That is why he signed a letter of intent.  One thing changed, and it was the coach that recruited him, no longer is here; but his position coach still is.  The kid should/will honor is commitment.  Heck, if he comes and then decides he hates his coaches, his teammates, the atmosphere, his coursework, the fans, the energy, his life in general, he can then choose the path of about 600 other Division I basketball players and transfer. 

I personally believe he still wants to be here, but perhaps he deserves/requires a little love from the remaining staff to reinforce that feeling.  Millennial's...

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The kid should/will honor is commitment.

I don't think anybody should be forced to stay anywhere. Now, you can have some opportunity cost involved to sway a decision, but they should never be locked into something they do not want to do.

When I've signed the contract at my prior jobs, nobody said I had to stay there for x-years and I must honor it. But if I did leave early, then I wouldn't be vested in certain things like retirement or bonuses. And there were incentives to stay with the company longer by offering more vacation time, etc.

It's not apples to apples, but the concept should still hold true. Don't actually handcuff anyone. But maybe put some golden handcuffs on to incentivize them to stick it out.

40 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I don't think anybody should be forced to stay anywhere. Now, you can have some opportunity cost involved to sway a decision, but they should never be locked into something they do not want to do.

When I've signed the contract at my prior jobs, nobody said I had to stay there for x-years and I must honor it. But if I did leave early, then I wouldn't be vested in certain things like retirement or bonuses. And there were incentives to stay with the company longer by offering more vacation time, etc.

It's not apples to apples, but the concept should still hold true. Don't actually handcuff anyone. But maybe put some golden handcuffs on to incentivize them to stick it out.

Non-compete clauses are also a thing. You are perfectly within your rights to think LOI's should be eliminated and students would be able to move at any time, but right now this is the system we have and he did sign a legally binding document. What happens in a free market economy when contracts become only suggests and are not legally enforceable?

Edited by Dean Smith

22 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Non-compete clauses are also a thing. You are perfectly within your rights to think LOI's should be eliminated and students would be able to move at any time, but right now this is the system we have and he did sign a legally binding document. What happens in a free market economy when contracts become only suggests and are not legally enforceable?

I think the athletes would say the free market only exists for coaches.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

The thing is, the kid did/does want to come here.  That is why he signed a letter of intent.  One thing changed, and it was the coach that recruited him, no longer is here; but his position coach still is.  The kid should/will honor is commitment.  Heck, if he comes and then decides he hates his coaches, his teammates, the atmosphere, his coursework, the fans, the energy, his life in general, he can then choose the path of about 600 other Division I basketball players and transfer. 

I personally believe he still wants to be here, but perhaps he deserves/requires a little love from the remaining staff to reinforce that feeling.  Millennial's...

Fun fact! Millennials are typically considered to contain those born in the '80s to mid 90's. Xavier, someone born in (I'm guessing 2000) would qualify as a member of Generation Z. (For context, I work on a college campus and generational differences have been a frequent topic of discussion as the needs/wants of students are changing).

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

Wonder how much heads up Miles had this was going down.

they negotiated about giving Hunter more money so it's not like Miles got Burno'ed here.

Hunter seems like a stand up dude so he probably gave him as much notice as one could expect. 

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

they negotiated about giving Hunter more money so it's not like Miles got Burno'ed here.

Hunter seems like a stand up dude so he probably gave him as much notice as one could expect. 

Dimes if I came across that way I didn't mean to.  I was thinking did he have enough notice that he can be contacting folks.

6 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

But this is not real life, this is college life.  An athlete chooses a college after a process, they then sign an agreement called a letter of intent.  It is a legal and binding contract.  Provision 11 seems to be a good place to focus...this is the background/explanation of that contract:

Explanation of the National Letter of Intent, NLI

This page explains each section of the National Letter of Intent in detail. The NLI is a legally binding contract and should not be signed until you have a full understanding of what it is. If you want to see an example of what the NLI looks like, you can see that here.

The document should be sent to you with the appropriate signing period checked. If the NLI has been sent to you before the signing period begins, you must wait until 7am of the first date of the signing period before signing it.

Provision 1 – Initial Enrollment in a Four Year University

This section simply states that you are enrolling in a four year university for the first time. For all athletes signing an NLI directly out of high school you will meet this requirement. The exceptions to this rule are made for 4-2-4 transfers and mid-year junior college transfers in football.

Provision 2 – Financial Aid Requirement

This section ensures that your NLI is accompanied by an athletic aid/athletic scholarship agreement. If you are planning on walking-on or will not be receiving a scholarship you will not need to sign an NLI. To learn more about the athletic aid agreements go here.

Provision 3 – Provisions of Letter Met

This section explains how you will meet the requirements of your NLI. In order to satisfy the terms of an NLI you will need to attend the university for one full year. For junior college athletes you need to attend the four university for one full year or have graduated from the two year college.

Provision 4 – Basic Penalty

If you sign an NLI and do not attend the school you may not go to another school and play for that school for one full year. You may receive a scholarship, but generally schools will not offer you a scholarship until you are eligible to play. In addition, you will lose one full year of eligibility in all sports. There are some cases where you can play right away with a release from the school you signed with; there is more on that process below.

Provision 5 – Early Signing Period Penalties

This section only applies to football players who are being recruited in other sports. If you want to receive a football scholarship, you are not allowed to sign an NLI for another sport during the early signing period for that sport. If you do, you will not be eligible to play your first year of football.

Provision 6 – Release Request and Appeal Process

If you have signed an NLI and would like to break that contract in order to sign with another university, it is known as asking for a 4-4 transfer.  To learn more about the 4-4 transfer process go here.

Provision 7 – Declaring Your NLI Null and Void

This is a list of reasons your NLI could be not accepted by the University you have signed with. It is important to remember, 95% of the time this will not be an issue, but just encase it is important you understand how to avoid these issues.

1. You do not gain admissions into the university – If you do not get accepted by the university, you will not be receiving your scholarship. Remember, by meeting the NCAA eligibility requirements, you are not guaranteed admission into the school you choose.
  2. You are a NCAA non-qualifier – You will be signing your NLI before you get your final eligibility status with the NCAA. If at the end of the year you are declared a non-qualifier, you will not be receiving your athletic scholarship.
  3. One-Year Absence – If you sign an NLI and do not attend any school for one year you would then be allowed to attend another university if you file for a release with that schools conference office. Your athletic department at the school you will be attending can help you with that process.
  4. Joining the Military or Church Mission – If you join the military or going on a church mission for 12 months or more after signing an NLI, you will be allowed to sign with another school without penalty.
  5. Discontinued Sport – If the school cuts the program for the sport you signed for after you have signed, you will be allowed to sign with another school without penalty.
  6. Recruiting Rules Violations – If it is determined there were recruiting rules violations after you have signed an NLI you will have the choice to continue with your NLI or get a release once you have been reinstated. This process will be handled by the athletic department of your university.

Provision 8 – Recruiting Ban After Signing

Once you sign your NLI all other coaches and universities are prohibited from continuing to recruit you. This means the recruiting process is finished for you.

Provision 9 – 14-day Signing Deadline

You have 14 days from the date you received the NLI to sign it. This does not apply however if you received the NLI with less than 14 days remaining in the signing period. You can check the dates at the top of the NLI document to see if you have the full 14 days remaining to sign.

Provision 10 – Statute of Limitations

This section says the entire contract is void after four years if you do nothing. Do not worry about the section; there are several appeals, releases or penalties that can be served in order to get passed the NLI before a four year period.

Provision 11 – Coaching Changes

You are signing your NLI and athletic aid agreement with the University, not the coach. If the coach leaves, you are still required to go to that school for at least one year. There are opportunities for releases but they are generally not granted. Make sure you want to attend that school and not just play for that coach.

Provision 12 – Coaching Contact Prohibited at Time of Signing

The coach of the university you are signing for is not allowed to be present at the time of signing of your NLI and athletic aid agreement. Additionally, they are not allowed to hand deliver the NLI. The only permissible way to receive your NLI is by fax, email or facsimile.

The Final Page of the NLI

The university you are signing with must have completed the top half of the final page of the NLI. If this information is not complete, you are not signing a valid NLI and you will need to go through the process again. As a recruit you are only responsible for signing the bottom half of the last page. For all recruits under the age of 21 you will need to have your parent or legal guardian sign the document as well.

The NLI is the final step in the recruiting process. These are only sent to recruits who have been recruited and evaluated by coaches for several months or years. If you are not getting recruited you need to take steps to be proactive.

5 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Fun fact! Millennials are typically considered to contain those born in the '80s to mid 90's. Xavier, someone born in (I'm guessing 2000) would qualify as a member of Generation Z. (For context, I work on a college campus and generational differences have been a frequent topic of discussion as the needs/wants of students are changing).

I stand corrected :) thank you for sharing!

23 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Not trying to be provocative, I seriously would like to know how you know he can't coach? 

It's an opinion from observations of watching practices throughout the years, listening to others, seeing his inability to adjust in-game (defensively, away from game plan) & lack of offensive creativity/ability.  I have no issues with KH, he's definitely a loss to Nebraska, but all I see in Kenya Hunter is an assistant coach. 

And (IMO) there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Shower Cap Husker

27 minutes ago, Shower Cap Husker said:

It's an opinion from observations of watching practices throughout the years, listening to others, seeing his inability to adjust in-game (defensively, away from game plan) & lack of offensive creativity/ability.  I have no issues with KH, he's definitely a loss to Nebraska, but all I see in Kenya Hunter is an assistant coach. 

And (IMO) there's nothing wrong with that.

Again I'm curious to how many practices you've seen since Miles has never really had open practices. And I don't know who you are talking to either. I do know that in-game adjustments are the responsibility of the head coach an not an assistant. Admitting that without knowing these things I have no real idea how you came to this conclusion and my first instinct was to dismiss your opinion as sour grapes. So I'm sticking with I don't know.

4 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Again I'm curious to how many practices you've seen since Miles has never really had open practices. And I don't know who you are talking to either. I do know that in-game adjustments are the responsibility of the head coach an not an assistant. Admitting that without knowing these things I have no real idea how you came to this conclusion and my first instinct was to dismiss your opinion as sour grapes. So I'm sticking with I don't know.

None of your (ridiculous) non-questions will be answered, due to the bold - which is furthest from the truth.  

P.S.

One can attend practices without them being "open". Hilarious that you would even suggest such a thing.  Yep, sour grapes, while saying he's a loss to Nebraska. Your swings & misses will allow you to hit in the 5-hole for Erstad. 

I’m w the shower capper on this one, Hunter was very good at building relationships but his actual “coachin” is questionable at best as is the staff as the whole. Probably the only recruit I can think of that improved is Webster and I don’t know if that’s to hunters credit or another coach or to Webster himself.

i didn’t realize hunter stayed here as long as he did, we should all be thankful of what he did for us while here. A lot better shape currently than we were five years ago