Kenya Hunter

bball23

1 minute ago, MidwestDrummer said:

I don't understand what long term obligation you guys think Hunter has to Nebraska's program. Coaches are poached all the time. He's very obviously moving to a premier program, and will likely making a lot more money. Not to mention, Moos hasn't exactly given Miles a ringing endorsement, so job security may have been a factor that weighed heavily in his decision. I get being disappointed that he's leaving, but it's certain nothing you can resent him for.

I don't resent him leaving. I'm just pointing out the irony in his statement that no one should leave the program...when he's leaving the program.

6 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don't see how anyone can fault Kenya for making a smart move.  He was here for five years.  It's not as if he half assed it and left right away. 

It is called "Bad Timing".  So yes, I am going to fault Hunter.  If we don't lose any kids because of this than that is fine, but if we do!  He basically took the gas out of the motorcycle when we were 90% to the peak.  This is like a swift kick to the nuts, I can only hope his recruits take his advice from the tweet he made.  Highly doubt that happens!

2 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

They just fired their coach so unless worst case scenario that probably means that the staff will be back for two years. After that, there is no job security in the coaching profession.

Yup.

Security in the coaching world boils down to this: Coaches who have been fired, and coaches who will be fired.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

I really don't believe some folks here appreciate what's been going on behind the scenes with our basketball program. Let's start with the aggressive pursuit of Dana Altman, which our AD has denied, and many here believed him. Sorry, but that's nonsense. As I posted when this was going on a couple of weeks ago, Nebraska fans are not entitled to full disclosure from the AD about what's going on behind the scenes with the basketball program. He was asked about Altman, flat denied it (lying in the process), and I have no problem with that. It's not the type of information that needs to be admitted publicly. Altman turned us down, so it ended there. The AD is not going to admit that publicly. If you took his denial at face value, you may not understand how the game is played. If you believe Nebraska didn't make a very lucrative offer to Dana Altman, you've bought into a lie.

Tim Miles and his staff were very aware of the offer to Altman. They're very well aware that the relationship between Nebraska and Miles is not a long-term partnership, but rather a temporary alliance out of convenience and, in reality, only set to continue for a while longer because the AD hasn't found "his guy" yet. Tim knows this because the AD has been more than honest with him in this regard. Tim knows the score and his assistants know the score. He understands that this entails the possibility that some will seek greener pastures. How could they not be expected to do so? He likely has encouraged them to take care of their business and do what they have to do.

If you like Tim Miles and believe he's the future of this basketball program, you're entitled, but just know that the AD doesn't share your perspective. Tim's on borrowed time and is only still here because the home run hire the AD seeks has not been secured. Nebraska under Bill Moos is not prepared to accept a future in which the program continues to be a doormat in college basketball. I understand we just came off a very successful year by Nebraska standards, but the old standards that many here seem to accept as the appropriate reference are not considered to be acceptable by the people currently in charge of this athletic department. They've set their sights much higher and are no longer prepared to accept sustained mediocrity. Tim is a .500 coach at Nebraska who has not built anything sustainable from year to year. 

Some people believe that Miles and his staff are somehow "in limbo" as a result of the slow pace of Moos' progress in extending a new contract to Miles. While this may be true to an extent, there is very little uncertainty among the parties involved about the fact that the AD is not a Tim Miles fan and does not consider him to be the future of this program. So, there's no "in limbo" situation here. Kenya Hunter knew he was on a path that will soon hit a dead end, so he chose a different path. That's called being smart and taking care of your family. Anyone who has resentment toward Kenya has not correctly assessed the situation in my opinion.

I just worry on the potential hire since he hired Ernie Kent twice. If this is true (and I’m not saying it isn’t regarding Altman), then he struck out on not only his top target but only target. For a guy that keeps a list handy, that doesn’t leave me with warm fuzzies about hiring a basketball coach down the road if we need to.

Just now, Jugular said:

I just worry on the potential hire since he hired Ernie Kent twice. If this is true (and I’m not saying it isn’t regarding Altman), then he struck out on not only his top target but only target. For a guy that keeps a list handy, that doesn’t leave me with warm fuzzies about hiring a basketball coach down the road if we need to.

Well, Altman was a special case due to being a native Nebraskan and having familiarity with the program. As I posted before, a one-year extension for Miles would buy Moos another year to work on other possibilities. Of course he has a list handy, but that doesn't imply that any reciprocal interest will exist.

I just don't believe we're going to see Miles replaced with another mid-major roll of the dice. They've got big money to throw at this problem and are targeting proven winners. When you're Nebraska, that's a tough plan to execute, but I know the willingness and financial commitment are there. Now that football is "fixed," basketball is next. It may take some time though. 

29 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Well, Altman was a special case due to being a native Nebraskan and having familiarity with the program. As I posted before, a one-year extension for Miles would buy Moos another year to work on other possibilities. Of course he has a list handy, but that doesn't imply that any reciprocal interest will exist.

I just don't believe we're going to see Miles replaced with another mid-major roll of the dice. They've got big money to throw at this problem and are targeting proven winners. When you're Nebraska, that's a tough plan to execute, but I know the willingness and financial commitment are there. Now that football is "fixed," basketball is next. It may take some time though. 

Under your assumption that we're going to throw big money at a proven winner, I'm interested to hear what your ideal coaches would be if Altman is out.

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Under your assumption that we're going to throw big money at a proven winner, I'm interested to hear what your ideal coaches would be if Altman is out.

I'm not an AD or someone who's very knowledgeable about coaches out there and who's realistic. I'd start with Greg Popovich and Jay Wright and go from there. B)

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

I really don't believe some folks here appreciate what's been going on behind the scenes with our basketball program. Let's start with the aggressive pursuit of Dana Altman, which our AD has denied, and many here believed him. Sorry, but that's nonsense. As I posted when this was going on a couple of weeks ago, Nebraska fans are not entitled to full disclosure from the AD about what's going on behind the scenes with the basketball program. He was asked about Altman, flat denied it (lying in the process), and I have no problem with that. It's not the type of information that needs to be admitted publicly. Altman turned us down, so it ended there. The AD is not going to admit that publicly. If you took his denial at face value, you may not understand how the game is played. If you believe Nebraska didn't make a very lucrative offer to Dana Altman, you've bought into a lie.

Tim Miles and his staff were very aware of the offer to Altman. They're very well aware that the relationship between Nebraska and Miles is not a long-term partnership, but rather a temporary alliance out of convenience and, in reality, only set to continue for a while longer because the AD hasn't found "his guy" yet. Tim knows this because the AD has been more than honest with him in this regard. Tim knows the score and his assistants know the score. He understands that this entails the possibility that some will seek greener pastures. How could they not be expected to do so? He likely has encouraged them to take care of their business and do what they have to do.

If you like Tim Miles and believe he's the future of this basketball program, you're entitled, but just know that the AD doesn't share your perspective. Tim's on borrowed time and is only still here because the home run hire the AD seeks has not been secured. Nebraska under Bill Moos is not prepared to accept a future in which the program continues to be a doormat in college basketball. I understand we just came off a very successful year by Nebraska standards, but the old standards that many here seem to accept as the appropriate reference are not considered to be acceptable by the people currently in charge of this athletic department. They've set their sights much higher and are no longer prepared to accept sustained mediocrity. Tim is a .500 coach at Nebraska who has not built anything sustainable from year to year. 

Some people believe that Miles and his staff are somehow "in limbo" as a result of the slow pace of Moos' progress in extending a new contract to Miles. While this may be true to an extent, there is very little uncertainty among the parties involved about the fact that the AD is not a Tim Miles fan and does not consider him to be the future of this program. So, there's no "in limbo" situation here. Kenya Hunter knew he was on a path that will soon hit a dead end, so he chose a different path. That's called being smart and taking care of your family. Anyone who has resentment toward Kenya has not correctly assessed the situation in my opinion.

1,000 up-votes from me. 

Hunter did nothing wrong he’s likely getting a raise of tens of thousands of dollars if not more which any of us would take and he’s from the east coast. 

He may however of just screwed us with the likes of Xavier Johnson or Thomas Allen wanting out of there commitment and scholarships now. Both would be big blows. 

The real issue here is moos he should of extended miles as soon as Altman turned us down where @Hooper stated above happened and I totally agree w him that it did.  He may hire a heck of a coach and there’s been some good names thrown around here but he gets a lot of credit for a lay up football hire that the likes of yous and mes coulda made. Maybe he wants to tear it down and start from scratch but I for one don’t wanna watch 2-3 years of a complete rebuild again similar to those first few miles years. 

Moos absolutely deserves credit for hiring Frost.   He may not be the reason for it.   But he was also the reason it didn’t get screwed up.   He played it perfectly and was smart enough to use the resources he had and when to push the buttons.    Anyone paying attention to Husker athletics knows that common sense hasn’t really been present in the ADs role since about 2002-2003     Moos was smart enough to not fuck it up and that’s easier said than done given our last two decades 

With that being said, and considering the awkward position he walked into because of Eichorsts’ dumbass, I’m willing to give Moos a shot 

Edited by nustudent