Miles extension poll

What was your preference on Miles' extension?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What was your preference on Miles' extension?

• I'm confident that Miles is the long-term answer, give him a 5-year deal.
    • Give him a shorter extension and hope the continuity leads to a big year next year.
    • Give him a shorter extension as a reward for a good season this year.
    • Give him a shorter extension because it would look bad to fire him after this season.
    • I wish we had found a big name coach like Matta or Altman, but give him a shorter extension if we didn't.
    • I wish we had fired Miles and found the best available coach.

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Why do you guys insist on blaming the AD for the condition of the basketball program. If you are dissatisfied with the basketball program, then the blame should be with the guy whose running our basketball program. The lengths some people go to blame someone other than Miles is outrageous. His "plan" is apparently to let Tim Miles do his job, and maybe that plan is a pile of crap.

It's not a matter of trying to deflect "blame" as it were, it's more a case of be careful what you wish for sentiment vis-a-vis Moos' ability to build a winning hoops program.  His track record shows a bit of a different story, more of one that is willing to let hoops programs wither and die under his watch.

There is the very real possibility that he takes a hoops program that finished 4th in the league and turns it into a perennial bottom dweller.  It's happened before under his watch.  Repeatedly.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

It's not a matter of trying to deflect "blame" as it were, it's more a case of be careful what you wish for sentiment vis-a-vis Moos' ability to build a winning hoops program.  His track record shows a bit of a different story, more of one that is willing to let hoops programs wither and die under his watch.

There is the very real possibility that he takes a hoops program that finished 4th in the league and turns it into a perennial bottom dweller.  It's happened before under his watch.  Repeatedly.

Has he ever had the budget to hire a $3M+ a year coach? I'm just curious if the resources available to him now will allow him to do some things in a way he's never been able to.

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

I just I guess I don't get the narrative that Bill Moos has never overseen a successful basketball program? In 14 years at Oregon his teams went to 5 tournaments, won 6 tournament games and went to 2 elite 8's. We're a program that has been to 7 tournaments and won 0 games in our history. We have a coach that's coached D1 basketball for 11 years and has gone to 2 tournaments and won 0 games. I guess I've seen Moos as the scapegoat on this board, its the same thing we saw with Eichorst. Maybe Moos is doing the wrong things, but I'm willing to let him take a stab at it - nothing else this program has tried has worked

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I just I guess I don't get the narrative that Bill Moos has never overseen a successful basketball program? In 14 years at Oregon his teams went to 5 tournaments, won 6 tournament games and went to 2 elite 8's. We're a program that has been to 7 tournaments and won 0 games in our history. We have a coach that's coached D1 basketball for 11 years and has gone to 2 tournaments and won 0 games. I guess I've seen Moos as the scapegoat on this board, its the same thing we saw with Eichorst. Maybe Moos is doing the wrong things, but I'm willing to let him take a stab at it - nothing else this program has tried has worked

It's not a question of oversight.  It's whether he can build, or at least sustain a successful hoops program that's the concern.  So far I'd say the results aren't terribly encouraging.

Edited by 49r

11 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Has he ever had the budget to hire a $3M+ a year coach? I'm just curious if the resources available to him now will allow him to do some things in a way he's never been able to.

Without doing any digging into it I'd guess his budget at Oregon could probably easily be described as always being "ample".

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Without doing any digging into it I'd guess his budget at Oregon could probably easily be described as always being "ample".

Had Oregon become "Oregon" (if that makes any sense) while Moos was still there? I didn't think that really happened until right before they hired Chip Kelly.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

For anyone interested, that happens to be an actual photo of the elephant in the living room that no one wants to talk about, which is now swinging in the breeze.

I thought it ment we needed to start killing Republicans.  Which I would think would be very controversial.:mellow:

You know, the thing I don't quite understand is the incongruity between what Moos said during the season and what he's now doing afterward. If he was out there stumping for Nebraska to make the dance, it would only make sense to behave as though he believed it was an NCAA-caliber team. If it was an NCAA-caliber team, that means Miles has had two dance-level teams in six years, and in Nebraska that isn't something to sneeze at. If you have a coach who delivers that, you extend him substantially.

The fact that he hasn't, is dragging this on, and apparently has kept his coach in the dark on what he's planning, all points to him just paying lip service during the season. If he was campaigning for something he didn't actually even believe himself, why would any committee member (in basketball or any other sport with a subjective committee) take him seriously on anything else down the road? It seems to me like not only is this prolonged decision hurting the basketball program, it hurts Moos' credibility and potentially any other Nebraska sport as well. I know part of it is just how corporate-level sports work, and maybe it's just naive on my part, but I liked to think we were different than that at Nebraska (which was part of why Steve Pedersen and Shawn Eichorst were such poor fits for our culture) and this makes me think Bill Moos, at the core, is no different.

Maybe I'm being overdramatic or just melancholy (it's snowing in April, give me a break) but I had hoped for better than this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, 49r said:

At Montana, Moos replaced Stew Morrill with his lead assistant Blaine Taylor. Morrill won .652 of his games at Montana. Taylor won .681

At Oregon, Moos replaced Jerry Green with Ernie Kent. Green won .507 of his games at Oregon. Kent won .576 of his games and took Oregon to five NCAA Tournaments - more than the previous 50 years at Oregon combined. Basically, Kent was Oregon's Danny Nee, who won... .572 of his games at Nebraska. 

At Washington State, Moos replaced Ken Bone with Ernie Kent. Kent has been bad at Wazzu (just .379 winning %) but Bone was no great shakes, winning .482. 

Oregon was not a perennial bottom dweller under Kent, and Montana wasn't under Taylor. Washington State was a bottom dweller before and after Moos got there. 

13 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

At Montana, Moos replaced Stew Morrill with his lead assistant Blaine Taylor. Morrill won .652 of his games at Montana. Taylor won .681

At Oregon, Moos replaced Jerry Green with Ernie Kent. Green won .507 of his games at Oregon. Kent won .576 of his games and took Oregon to five NCAA Tournaments - more than the previous 50 years at Oregon combined. Basically, Kent was Oregon's Danny Nee, who won... .572 of his games at Nebraska. 

At Washington State, Moos replaced Ken Bone with Ernie Kent. Kent has been bad at Wazzu (just .379 winning %) but Bone was no great shakes, winning .482. 

Oregon was not a perennial bottom dweller under Kent, and Montana wasn't under Taylor. Washington State was a bottom dweller before and after Moos got there. 

Much easier to hate Moos than know the reality of the situation 

• 9 months later...