Miles extension poll

What was your preference on Miles' extension?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What was your preference on Miles' extension?

• I'm confident that Miles is the long-term answer, give him a 5-year deal.
    • Give him a shorter extension and hope the continuity leads to a big year next year.
    • Give him a shorter extension as a reward for a good season this year.
    • Give him a shorter extension because it would look bad to fire him after this season.
    • I wish we had found a big name coach like Matta or Altman, but give him a shorter extension if we didn't.
    • I wish we had fired Miles and found the best available coach.

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I don't know why people are always so jazzed about Matta. The guy was spoon fed blue chippers at OSU and didn't do squat. And if Altman wasn't from Wilbur he wouldn't have quite the shine on him either. I'm guessing Moos offers a 3 year deal then we can put this whole thing to rest.

Based on this poll posters being confident that Miles is the long term answer for the program is tied for the lead.  That's with him producing a goose egg in the postseason over the last six years.  With that in mind, I can only imagine that people would be partying on 72nd and Dodge if we ever hired someone with the pedigree of an Altman or a Matta. 

You probably have to filter out the Creighton trolls votes for Miles being the long term answer as no doubt they want him to stick around as long as possible. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

This is certainly not the norm, but it was a well timed release of the article with what is being discussed here. Jay Wright could easily be running a would-now-likely-be bankrupt tackle shop had he not been given time and a chance to build his 31-51 program at Hofstra.

Sometimes taking a chance on someone who hasn't quite shown huge success yet can work out. Sometimes it doesn't. Moos has to decide which path to take. And he sure better have some conviction behind that decision.

Here's the article on Jay Wright's early failures if anybody is interested: https://sports.yahoo.com/jay-wright-somehow-made-villanova-class-college-hoops-014443753.html

5 hours ago, LK1 said:

1 Final Four

2 Elite 8s

2 Sweet 16s

4 Round of 32s

2 Round of 64s

1 NIT championship

1 NIT second round

^^^ Those represent every single year he has coached except one bad year, and with three different teams.  Even during the bad year, I was pretty impressed with the actual coaching I saw when we played/beat OSU, and they still finished 17-15 as their worst year in decades. 

Matta is literally one of the best coaches we've seen in the past 20 years in college basketball.  

That said, I fully support Miles.  I just see Matta as the only dude I wouldn't question in terms of a hire.  

No one accomplishes less with more than THE Ohio St University. A majority of the US population is within 8 hours of a campus of 80,000.

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

No one accomplishes less with more than THE Ohio St University. A majority of the US population is within 8 hours of a campus of 80,000.

Your argument loses credibility when you consider that there are a great number of universities that fit into that same situation. 

15 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Your argument loses credibility when you consider that there are a great number of universities that fit into that same situation. 

I'd be hard pressed to name all the Universities with an enrollment of 80,000 that have had 13 players drafted since 2000... point is Matta's thrown up some gaudy numbers at a school with HUGE advantages. Yes he can coach, so can Altman,  but do you think Altman would have the #2 recruiting class at Nebraska? Or even Creighton or K-St for that matter. 

7 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If Nebraska could ever get into the top 40 nationally when it comes to recruiting on a yearly basis we should party on 72nd n dodge. With the geographic problems population wise and the issue of adidas being our main sponsor it would take an awful impressive coach to get it done 

If you want to go just by straight star ratings from Verbal Commits our roster is #40 though we obviously didn't accomplish this through just HS recruits. It's the most compelling argument for Miles as our coach going forward: dude brings in dudes.

21 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Based on this poll posters being confident that Miles is the long term answer for the program is tied for the lead.  That's with him producing a goose egg in the postseason over the last six years.  With that in mind, I can only imagine that people would be partying on 72nd and Dodge if we ever hired someone with the pedigree of an Altman or a Matta. 

You probably have to filter out the Creighton trolls votes for Miles being the long term answer as no doubt they want him to stick around as long as possible. 

Why do you seem angry that some people think Miles is the long-term answer? It's one of those opinion things that can't actually be right or wrong at this point in time.

50 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

dude brings in dudes.

Totally agree @hhcdimes the way miles

does it is about the best way I can see doing it. Getting a top 60ish class then sprinkle in a few high level transfers here n there. He just needs to start hitting on a few more high school guys as far as “fillers” they don’t need to be stars. Really excited to see what Thomas Allen brings next year, hope he gains 15 or so pounds of muscle then I can see him starting at the 2 and hitting close to 40 percent from 3 and hitting 85 plus from the charity line. Thor and NaNa are total wild cards as of now too 

4 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

But is that all completely and totally Miles? He can't get all the credit for bringing in these dudes. But hey, I guess that's what makes the argument compelling.

Miles is the head coach.  He gets credit for getting the dudes and in turn, he should get the blame when we don't...which was sort of the case his first couple of years.  So he sort of fixed the problem with recruiting, or at least you can argue he has, by hiring assistants who seem to be getting things done, and by having an environment that seems to be enticing the dudes to come here.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Why do you seem angry that some people think Miles is the long-term answer? It's one of those opinion things that can't actually be right or wrong at this point in time.

For @huskerbaseball13 the answer is *always* "fire the coach".

We lose a game?  Fire the coach!

Player transfers?  Fire the coach!

Player gets injured?  Fire the coach!

We win a game?  Probably better fire the coach just to be safe.

We could fire coach Miles and bring in Altman, Matta, Bill Self or Jesus Christ himself and the first time we lose a game, or maybe not win a game convincingly enough he'll want that dude fired too.

36 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

But is that all completely and totally Miles? He can't get all the credit for bringing in these dudes. But hey, I guess that's what makes the argument compelling.

Who hired Kenya Hunter? Miles gets credit for bringing in guys the same way he gets the blame for when we lose. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, hhcdimes said:

If you want to go just by straight star ratings from Verbal Commits our roster is #40 though we obviously didn't accomplish this through just HS recruits. It's the most compelling argument for Miles as our coach going forward: dude brings in dudes.

Petteway, Pitchford, White, Copeland, Palmer. It's hard to argue with that...

Here's the lede from a story I paid for in The Athletic:

Two months before his sixth season at Nebraska, coach Tim Miles was told his job was on the line. “I’m really going to need to see discernible improvement to keep you here,” then athletic director Shawn Eichorst told Miles in 2017.

Edited by jayschool

4 hours ago, jayschool said:

Here's the lede from a story I paid for in The Athletic:

Two months before his sixth season at Nebraska, coach Tim Miles was told his job was on the line. “I’m really going to need to see discernible improvement to keep you here,” then athletic director Shawn Eichorst told Miles in 2017.

Also, that was probably, word for word, what was told to Eichorst the day after Harvey Perlman retired.

It's not delusional to think we could get a better coach. If you believe this season was a springboard to consistently good basketball, then he gets your vote. If you think our roster will blow up in the offseason and we'll fall back next year, then he doesn't get your vote. Miles was 71-88 at Colorado State and he's 97-97 here. There's ample reason to be skeptical. 

What's even more depressing is looking at the overall records of past coaches. You can argue strength of schedule/RPI differences, but as I posted in its own thread all of the coaches (less Danny Nee) had very very similar metrics:

Tim Miles: 2 of 6 seasons above 0.500 (33%)

Doc Sadler: 4 of 6 (67%)

Barry Collier: 2 of 6 (33%)

Danny Nee: 11 of 14 (79%)