Miles extension poll

What was your preference on Miles' extension?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What was your preference on Miles' extension?

• I'm confident that Miles is the long-term answer, give him a 5-year deal.
    • Give him a shorter extension and hope the continuity leads to a big year next year.
    • Give him a shorter extension as a reward for a good season this year.
    • Give him a shorter extension because it would look bad to fire him after this season.
    • I wish we had found a big name coach like Matta or Altman, but give him a shorter extension if we didn't.
    • I wish we had fired Miles and found the best available coach.

Wait, I'm confused... why does Miles need an extension pole? Hasn't he had a pole that has worked for the last six years? Is it on the end of its life? What has he done with it in the last six years that should justify that he should get an extension pole? Did he hire the right assistants to get the job done? Was his pole given enough time to show results? Are there better poles out there than just giving him an extension pole? These are all questions I want answered!! :D

Blue-ProCurve-Shot-925x1024.jpg

Edited by HuskerFever

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Wait, I'm confused... why does Miles need an extension pole? Hasn't he had a pole that has worked for the last six years? Is it on the end of its life? What has he done with it in the last six years that should justify that he should get an extension pole? Did he hire the right assistants to get the job done? Was hospitalized pole given enough time to show results? Are there better poles out there than just giving him an extension pole? These are all questions I want answered!! :D

Blue-ProCurve-Shot-925x1024.jpg

I'm not touching those comments with a ten foot pole. 

Edited by hal9000

I think miles should get back to where he has four years just for the recruiting. I think next year is the big year. He has a NCAA year, extend him for the long haul. Not even saying winning a game just getting there.  I feel like if he does get an extension then next year he bombs and we're paying another coach a big buyout. I have no clue about his buyout btw. 

Cut his buyout down to basically nothing.  If he has a good year next year then we keep him around and reward him while reworking his contract. If he declines then tell him no extension and we'll see where the chips fall next year. 

I just have have a feeling we're going to see a repeat of Petteway and  Pitchford's last year. I hope I'm wrong but this is nebrasketball we're talking about.  

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I think miles should get back to where he has four years just for the recruiting. I think next year is the big year. He has a NCAA year, extend him for the long haul. Not even saying winning a game just getting there.  I feel like if he does get an extension then next year he bombs and we're paying another coach a big buyout. I have no clue about his buyout btw. 

Cut his buyout down to basically nothing.  If he has a good year next year then we keep him around and reward him while reworking his contract. If he declines then tell him no extension and we'll see where the chips fall next year. 

I just have have a feeling we're going to see a repeat of Petteway and  Pitchford's last year. I hope I'm wrong but this is nebrasketball we're talking about.  

Agree with this 

On 3/30/2018 at 12:16 AM, Jimmy said:

I agree with everything except the part about just getting to the tournament.  That should not be the expectation.  It should be winning in the tournament.  We seems to accept just getting to the tournament as it was a good year.  We really need to raise the expectation to not only being in the tournament, but actually winning once we get there.

Miles needs a contract set-up in a way that does not cause a disadvantage in recruiting.  If that's 5 years, 4 years, whatever.  If we have to buy out remaining years because things do not go well down the road, fine.  Its the cost of doing business in my opinion.

I'm just hoping the team can stay together for another run next year.  Like Moos has stated, build on this year's success.  I'm excited for next year's team.

Edited by Huskerone

6 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I agree with everything except the part about just getting to the tournament.  That should not be the expectation.  It should be winning in the tournament.  We seems to accept just getting to the tournament as it was a good year.  We really need to raise the expectation to not only being in the tournament, but actually winning once we get there.

I think along those lines, but we’ve been to one tournament in the last 20 years....ill be 28 in a month and I only remember one appearance, miles one. I tend to think let’s keep just getting there and eventually the odds are you win win a game. 

I want us to be more consistent in the big ten. Let’s set the goal for finishing in the top half. Most years we will be dancing finishing there and someday maybe in the sweet16 or better. 

I can wait until miles has 3-4 tourney appearances if we’re still winless before I go to raising my expectations of winning games there. Hopefully this is the start of a solid foundation moving forward. 

Such a tough call, because if Copeland and Palmer don't come back, I don't know how you can have higher expectations for next year, but at the same time, it's year 7 for Miles, and if we don't make that dance next year, and, yes, even win a game, how much longer should you give him?  

32 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I think along those lines, but we’ve been to one tournament in the last 20 years....ill be 28 in a month and I only remember one appearance, miles one. I tend to think let’s keep just getting there and eventually the odds are you win win a game. 

I want us to be more consistent in the big ten. Let’s set the goal for finishing in the top half. Most years we will be dancing finishing there and someday maybe in the sweet16 or better. 

I can wait until miles has 3-4 tourney appearances if we’re still winless before I go to raising my expectations of winning games there. Hopefully this is the start of a solid foundation moving forward. 

Weird I’m 28 in a month and we have such different views. I think Miles needs next season, but if he doesn’t get to the tournament, I think it’s finally time to hire a coach that actually has multiple NCAA tournament wins on his resume - something we’ve never done.

55 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Weird I’m 28 in a month and we have such different views. I think Miles needs next season, but if he doesn’t get to the tournament, I think it’s finally time to hire a coach that actually has multiple NCAA tournament wins on his resume - something we’ve never done.

Ha that’s awesome. I agree with this. Can we also hire a coach that can draw up an offense to score a bucket instead of our 4 minute droughts?  I’m worried about next year already...I just hope that the boys push themselves harder because they felt like this season was a slap in the face at the end of the year. 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, hal9000 said:

Such a tough call, because if Copeland and Palmer don't come back, I don't know how you can have higher expectations for next year, but at the same time, it's year 7 for Miles, and if we don't make that dance next year, and, yes, even win a game, how much longer should you give him?  

That is the problem under Miles is that we seem like we are in "rebuild" mode every year.  Most good programs can still be competitive with the loss of players but for some reason, we can't. 

3 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I don't know why people are always so jazzed about Matta. The guy was spoon fed blue chippers at OSU and didn't do squat. And if Altman wasn't from Wilbur he wouldn't have quite the shine on him either. I'm guessing Moos offers a 3 year deal then we can put this whole thing to rest.

Dana only has the #2 rated recruiting class in the country for next year so can see why you don't think he would be a good hire.

59 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I don't know why people are always so jazzed about Matta. The guy was spoon fed blue chippers at OSU and didn't do squat. And if Altman wasn't from Wilbur he wouldn't have quite the shine on him either. I'm guessing Moos offers a 3 year deal then we can put this whole thing to rest.

Guessing people are attracted to the fact that both coaches have won a lot of games and don't lose very many each year.   Kind of the opposite of our history.

He doesn't have a NCAA championship...but otherwise...see below...I respectfully submit this is better than squat.

Thad Matta

Born: July 11, 1967

Alma Mater: Butler (1990)

As Player: 92 G, 5.3 PPG, 2 Schools (Full Record)

Career Record (major schools): 17 Years, 439-154, .740 W-L%

Schools: Butler (24-8), Xavier (78-23) and Ohio State (337-123)

Conference Champion: 8 Times (Reg. Seas.), 7 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 13 Years (24-13), 2 Final Fours, 0 Championships

Edited by Huskerpapa

3 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

1 Final Four

2 Elite 8s

2 Sweet 16s

4 Round of 32s

2 Round of 64s

1 NIT championship

1 NIT second round

^^^ Those represent every single year he has coached except one bad year, and with three different teams.  Even during the bad year, I was pretty impressed with the actual coaching I saw when we played/beat OSU, and they still finished 17-15 as their worst year in decades. 

Matta is literally one of the best coaches we've seen in the past 20 years in college basketball.  

That said, I fully support Miles.  I just see Matta as the only dude I wouldn't question in terms of a hire.