If schools in Kansas can be good at basketball why can't Nebraska?

PimpMario

1 minute ago, Cazzie22 said:

The people on this board care but how important is basketball to the powers that be?I s the drive to make a NCAA Tournament as important as the drive to return to football glory days?

Football will always be primary, but that doesn't mean success has to be mutually exclusive

Mike Reily did something even Bill Callahan couldn't do: make Nebraska football irrelevant. Callahan made 'em bad, Mike made people not care, especially Nationally. We're all excited about Coach Frost, I get that, I am too. But the Basketball program is in a hell of a lot better shape right now than the Football program is and it's really not that close. I believe Tim is the right guy, and he's got this thing heading the right way.

59 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Mike Reily did something even Bill Callahan couldn't do: make Nebraska football irrelevant. Callahan made 'em bad, Mike made people not care, especially Nationally. We're all excited about Coach Frost, I get that, I am too. But the Basketball program is in a hell of a lot better shape right now than the Football program is and it's really not that close. I believe Tim is the right guy, and he's got this thing heading the right way.

Agree with this except I do believe there is far more talent on the football team than we saw last fall.  Just the wrong culture and the wrong guy running the show.  That said, the basketball program is clearly in a much better place than it was when Miles took over.

• 3 weeks later...

This is amazing.  Who do you suppose the “other school” might be?

The second player mentioned in the allegations against Kansas committed to the school on Aug. 30, 2017. The player was allegedly choosing between Kansas and a school sponsored by a rival athletic apparel company, but despite wanting to go to Kansas, he had allegedly already accepted a payment from the other school. Gatto and Co-Conspirator-3 allegedly conspired to pay the player's guardian—listed as "Guardian-1" in the documents—in exchange for the player attending Kansas and signing with Adidas upon going to the NBA. On Sept. 11, 2017, Gatto and Co-Conspirator-3 allegedly discussed paying "another $20,000" to Guardian-1 to get out of the previous deal with the school 

On 3/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, Handy Johnson said:

But the Basketball program is in a hell of a lot better shape right now than the Football program is and it's really not that close. 

The football program is not in bad shape. Riley lost many games but left little-to-zero scars. It all ended amicably. Players have bought in to Frost, who brought his entire staff and thus has great continuity. If there were a Joe Ganz on hand, 9-3 wouldn't be out of the question. The roster at this moment is pretty good, especially on defense. 

The football program was in bad shape in spring 2015 though. It was a mess. If Frost takes it where people think he can, the three-year Riley era will be a "nice guy, bad fit" shrug. 

10 hours ago, Swan88 said:

This is amazing.  Who do you suppose the “other school” might be?

The second player mentioned in the allegations against Kansas committed to the school on Aug. 30, 2017. The player was allegedly choosing between Kansas and a school sponsored by a rival athletic apparel company, but despite wanting to go to Kansas, he had allegedly already accepted a payment from the other school. Gatto and Co-Conspirator-3 allegedly conspired to pay the player's guardian—listed as "Guardian-1" in the documents—in exchange for the player attending Kansas and signing with Adidas upon going to the NBA. On Sept. 11, 2017, Gatto and Co-Conspirator-3 allegedly discussed paying "another $20,000" to Guardian-1 to get out of the previous deal with the school 

Maryland

10 hours ago, swmckewon said:

The football program is not in bad shape. Riley lost many games but left little-to-zero scars. It all ended amicably. Players have bought in to Frost, who brought his entire staff and thus has great continuity. If there were a Joe Ganz on hand, 9-3 wouldn't be out of the question. The roster at this moment is pretty good, especially on defense. 

The football program was in bad shape in spring 2015 though. It was a mess. If Frost takes it where people think he can, the three-year Riley era will be a "nice guy, bad fit" shrug. 

Nice revisionist history, Sam.  

The program was a mess in the fall of 2017 as well.   It was more than just a "bad fit".   There was no accountability or discipline in the program from the get go in the Riley era.  Strength and conditioning was a joke.  Player development was non-existent.    The Oline coach may have been the worst position coach in the history of the program.  We gave up 54 to Minnesota, which didn't score another point in its final two games.   Put all the lipstick you want on that pig, but we were a sorry, pitiful excuse for a football program in November, 2017.  You can "shrug" the horrible hire by Eichorst all you want, but had the powers that be not acted decisively in the fall of 2017, we may have never recovered.

I agree the program is now not in bad shape.    We have seen dramatic, decisive leadership completely changing everything that was going on.    The mess was addressed.

Edited by HB

Mark Turgeon played at Kansas; Bill Self coaches at Kansas.  The two coaches appear to have been in a bidding war involving actual money -- illegal money -- for the services of at least one recruit.  If these allegations prove true, it would be a HUGE stain on the reputation of Kansas.  I'm not hoping for it.  In fact, I'm hoping it isn't true.  Turgeon's dad is apparently a great guy who lives here in Lincoln and, if memory serves, shines shoes at Firethorn country club.  He's married to Maddie Simon's dad's mom.  So, there's a bit of a Husker connection there.

But there is some irony in the situation that former Jayhawk star Turgeon's bag men (allegedly) paid DeSousa to go to Maryland, but current Jayhawk coach Self's bag men (allegedly) paid him more.  

And, in a strange way, the one guy who (allegedly) used unethical means to obtain a commit has no standing to complain that someone else (allegedly) used even more unethical means to get him to decommit.  I think the saying is "there is no honor among thieves."

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If these allegations prove true, it would be a HUGE stain on the reputation of Kansas.

For some people/programs, the only shame they feel is having been caught. Athletes will still want to go to Kansas to get exposure to get to the NBA, fans will still attend the games, coaches will still want to coach there if Self is no longer there, and sports fans will still watch Kansas play in the tournament. Depending on your moral compass, a shattered reputation can still be more valuable than no reputation at all.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Mark Turgeon played at Kansas; Bill Self coaches at Kansas.  The two coaches appear to have been in a bidding war involving actual money -- illegal money -- for the services of at least one recruit.  If these allegations prove true, it would be a HUGE stain on the reputation of Kansas.  I'm not hoping for it.  In fact, I'm hoping it isn't true.  Turgeon's dad is apparently a great guy who lives here in Lincoln and, if memory serves, shines shoes at Firethorn country club.  He's married to Maddie Simon's dad's mom.  So, there's a bit of a Husker connection there.

But there is some irony in the situation that former Jayhawk star Turgeon's bag men (allegedly) paid DeSousa to go to Maryland, but current Jayhawk coach Self's bag men (allegedly) paid him more.  

And, in a strange way, the one guy who (allegedly) used unethical means to obtain a commit has no standing to complain that someone else (allegedly) used even more unethical means to get him to decommit.  I think the saying is "there is no honor among thieves."

Among the top 50 programs in the country, the list of ones that don't cheat appears to be much, much shorter than the list of ones that do.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

For some people/programs, the only shame they feel is having been caught. Athletes will still want to go to Kansas to get exposure to get to the NBA, fans will still attend the games, coaches will still want to coach there if Self is no longer there, and sports fans will still watch Kansas play in the tournament. Depending on your moral compass, a shattered reputation can still be more valuable than no reputation at all.

Kentucky cough, cough:mellow:

Don't worry fellas.  It's all just a huge misunderstanding, Kansas is the victim here and they're going to do their darnedest to help find out who the real troublemakers are in this whole deal!

Good to know there are still some good old, salt of the earth work hards out there still in this day and age!  Go get 'em KU!

3 hours ago, HB said:

The program was a mess in the fall of 2017 as well.   It was more than just a "bad fit".   There was no accountability or discipline in the program from the get go in the Riley era.  Strength and conditioning was a joke.  Player development was non-existent.    The Oline coach may have been the worst position coach in the history of the program.  We gave up 54 to Minnesota, which didn't score another point in its final two games.   Put all the lipstick you want on that pig, but we were a sorry, pitiful excuse for a football program in November, 2017.  You can "shrug" the horrible hire by Eichorst all you want, but had the powers that be not acted decisively in the fall of 2017, we may have never recovered.

I agree the program is now not in bad shape.    We have seen dramatic, decisive leadership completely changing everything that was going on.    The mess was addressed.

I think deep down even he realizes this.  If he doesn’t then it’s hard to take him seriously on anything going forward

5 hours ago, HB said:

I covered the games. I was there. And I wrote it was the worst Nebraska team I'd ever seen, which I expect it to be. 

But the post I quoted and responded to had nothing to with the 2017 season. It referred not to where Nebraska football was, but where Nebraska football is, right now, with Scott Frost. 

If you'd like me to detail all the horrors of the 2017 football season again, I can, but you seem to know what they were. 

I agree with Sam on this one.  Look at how the 2 coaches handled their firings.  One did a press conference thanking everyone for his experience here.  The other, in a closed door meeting with players, called his ex-boss a "see you next Tuesday".  From a players' state of mind, one would have to think Riley left the program in better shape than did Bo.

I think Riley will be remembered like Bill Jennings was.  Good guy, had decent talent, couldn't get enough w's, and opened the door for a great coach to come here.

How will Bo be remembered?  I don't know.  I'm just glad that saga is over.

What the heck does the FBI think it’s doing trying to cast these universities as fraud victims?!  All of us should have such fraud misfortune thrust upon us: top-flight recruits showing up on our doorstep without working, much, to recruit them.  Heck, yeah!  We’ll take all the victimhood like that you can give us!!

Oh . . . and yeah.  There’s no way these fraud “victims” should have ever suspected something fishy amid their victimhood.  It’s like a Ponzi Scheme “victim” who’s getting 75% return on investment: “We had no idea this might be too good to be true!”  Yeah.  Right.

Here are the real victims of the fraudsters (the Dawkins and Gattos of this world): it’s the school’s who try to play by the rules!  It’s the Huskers of this world.  

Get this, for example:  the entire Robert Sallee debacle, from years past, was a self-reported issue by NU.  No-one would have ever known about it without NU honesty and transparency.  NU went to the Big XII to get absolution for what was, obviously, a technical error by a low-level employee.  It should have been a slam-dunk absolution.  But do you remember what happened?  The Big XII said, “Nyet!” And, if I recall correctly, Kansas helped lead the charge on that result.

Now . . . Kansas and other universities are the “victim” in this charade?!  Seriously?

I would love to see all schools get hammered if they participated illegal activities....even if Nebraska ended up being one of them.

Hammer these schools (10 year postseason ban)...something that really has teeth...and forfeiture of all games that benefited from the illegal activity...not vacating the wins, but forfeiting the wins to the schools that didn't cheat.

Also, permanent coaching bans in the NCAA on all coaches that participated.

Now will this happen, No...but it should...if they wanted to really clean up the dirty money.

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

I think Riley will be remembered like Bill Jennings was.  Good guy, had decent talent, couldn't get enough w's, and opened the door for a great coach to come here.

Oh, I see.  Riley gets credit for being so bad that he opened the door for the next coach to come here.  Ok.  That makes sense.