Nebraska is like Missouri. Flat and Farms.

22 hours ago, Tallbaby21 said:

We are flat and full of farms no shame in that. The problem is comparing us to *shudder* Missouri. 

I got a kick out of the Missouri comparison.  Grant Wistrom (Webb City, MO.) has more national championship rings (3) at NU than Missouri has national titles in all sports. (Baseball-1954 and men's Indoor Track 1965).  I've forgotten how much I hate Missouri...:)  I bet colhusker hasn't!

On 3/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, 49r said:

Anybody that believes that Nebraska is nothing but flatland and farms has clearly never been to Nebraska.

IMG_7010.jpg

WildcatHillsAreaView-ab9f391782d9dc9b42d

PineRidgeNRA_8.4.11_115.jpg?1488322705

474298.JPG

840080.jpg

37694968306_02b9206aef_k.jpg

1-11.jpg

horse_gallery_horse_course_2_prairie_clu

snake12.jpg

Niobrara_River_Norden_Chute_1.JPG

108432629.jpg

d1ba1f735d924f852c47d4324337b9d7.jpg

3460.jpg

I recognize lots of those places, but could you attach a small description of where each is? I'm hoping to do another Western Nebraska trip in the near future and would love to see some of these I'm not recognizing!

8 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I recognize lots of those places, but could you attach a small description of where each is? I'm hoping to do another Western Nebraska trip in the near future and would love to see some of these I'm not recognizing!

The first 6 are of the Wildcat Hills area near Scottsbluff and Pine Ridge near Chadron.  The next three are along the Snake river - the "Pines Course" at the Prairie Club and some adjacent lots for sale, the canoeing picture comes from this post on the NEBRASKALand magazine blog.  Next is the Niobrara River east of Valentine.  First the Norden Chute at Norden, next the Fort Niobrara NWR.

The next to last one appears to be Highway 83 between Thedford and Stapleton - but don't hold me to that it's just what came up in a GIS for "Nebraska Sandhills" and it looks very familiar to me - I've traveled that road hundreds of times.  The last one is a photo taken from the "Red Course" at Dismal River Club south of Mullen.

Of course all these pictures barely scratch the surface of the varied and wild terrain one can find in the state.  I think that a lot of the "flat and farmland" stereotype perpetrated about Nebraska actually comes from the folks that live there - but they don't get out to see what their own home state has to offer.  Which is sad, really...

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

The first 6 are of the Wildcat Hills area near Scottsbluff and Pine Ridge near Chadron.  The next three are along the Snake river - the "Pines Course" at the Prairie Club and some adjacent lots for sale, the canoeing picture comes from this post on the NEBRASKALand magazine blog.  Next is the Niobrara River east of Valentine.  First the Norden Chute at Norden, next the Fort Niobrara NWR.

The next to last one appears to be Highway 83 between Thedford and Stapleton - but don't hold me to that it's just what came up in a GIS for "Nebraska Sandhills" and it looks very familiar to me - I've traveled that road hundreds of times.  The last one is a photo taken from the "Red Course" at Dismal River Club south of Mullen.

Of course all these pictures barely scratch the surface of the varied and wild terrain one can find in the state.  I think that a lot of the "flat and farmland" stereotype perpetrated about Nebraska actually comes from the folks that live there - but they don't get out to see what their own home state has to offer.  Which is sad, really...

Thank you so much!  My wife and I did a western Nebraska trip about 5 years ago, all the way to Crawford. We went to Scottsbluff and Chimney Rock. Beautiful parts of the state. Northwest Nebraska is a must see for us Eastern Nebraska folks!

3 hours ago, 49r said:

But unfortunately you have to drive through some flat cropland and ranches to get to each of those places :P

43 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It's a shame that these Syracuse players have to sleep in Nebraska tonight after their loss. I hope the flat beds and farm noises don't impair their sleep tonight.

It was rather noticeable that the fans in the Clink were cheering more for Duke than the 'Cuse. Wonder if the war of words were one of the reasons. I was reading a lot of salty tweets from Orange fans that wanted to know why Duke had so many fans in Nebraska (of all places).

6 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

It was rather noticeable that the fans in the Clink were cheering more for Duke than the 'Cuse. Wonder if the war of words were one of the reasons. I was reading a lot of salty tweets from Orange fans that wanted to know why Duke had so many fans in Nebraska (of all places).

They'll just never learn... :lol:

Disrespect has consequences.

Nebraskans in general, and Omahans in particular, felt disrespect from the Syracuse player—and we turned against his team in the only ways available.

Disrespect has always amazed me about message boards like this and, especially, Red Sea Scrolls: fans of other teams come here with blatant and aggressive disrespect for the home team.  The only real effect (other than some type of sadistic gratification for the troller) is creation of a huge sense of animosity and a backlash from home team fans toward the troller’s team.  

In other words, it backfires . . . in spades!!

Unfortunately, however, trollers don’t seem to care, preferring their sadistic gratification over fostering goodwill toward their own team.

Edited by Swan88

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority here...I'm not salty at all about some kid from NY making an ignorant comment about a part of the country he's likely never been to, nor was I salty at all about Andrew White's late in the year transfer.

I get that people really hate Boehiem and the Orange.  But I personally don't harbor any ill will towards them.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Hopefully, they enjoyed their time in Omaha.

33 minutes ago, 49r said:

I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority here...I'm not salty at all about some kid from NY making an ignorant comment about a part of the country he's likely never been to, nor was I salty at all about Andrew White's late in the year transfer.

I get that people really hate Boehiem and the Orange.  But I personally don't harbor any ill will towards them.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Hopefully, they enjoyed their time in Omaha.

I'm with you on this.

I don't care what some dude from Syracuse said about Nebraska as a state.  This is not important to me.