Ohio State

Fastbreaker

39 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Ohio St is B1G only team left.   The teams were not very competitive.  Iowa should never been seeded a 6.   

MSU, Purdue and Indiana all still alive in the NIT.   Former Husker Hannah Tvrdy ended her career with a 21 point effort in a big loss for CSU to South Dakota (she scored 21 of her team's 49).   Credit to Hannah as she really improved her game in college, and became a much better player than I thought she could be.   

1 hour ago, HB said:

MSU, Purdue and Indiana all still alive in the NIT.   Former Husker Hannah Tvrdy ended her career with a 21 point effort in a big loss for CSU to South Dakota (she scored 21 of her team's 49).   Credit to Hannah as she really improved her game in college, and became a much better player than I thought she could be.   

I wasn't sure of her ceiling but it's good to read she was productive and successful there.  Good for her!

End of another Nebraska native's career tonight, as Chartrice White's career ends with the FSU loss.  She has 5 and 6  in her last game.  I was so impressed with her during her freshman year at Illinois.   She did OK at FSU, but I figured it would work out better for her this year.  

10 minutes ago, HB said:

End of another Nebraska native's career tonight, as Chartrice White's career ends with the FSU loss.  She has 5 and 6  in her last game.  I was so impressed with her during her freshman year at Illinois.   She did OK at FSU, but I figured it would work out better for her this year.  

Seems like she had a lot of foul trouble.

37 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Guessing Ohio State takes a big step back next year unless they have a top recruiting class coming in. 

They have a transfer coming in. but other than that I dont know what they will end up with. will Griffins dad still be a coach on the team next year?

A few other tourney observations:

Husker first round opponent ASU gets drilled by Texas in round 2.

UConn must suck.   They scored 69 fewer points then they did in the first round!  

The NIT seems to be the tournament of the BIG rather than the Dance.   Purdue, Michigan State, and Indiana all get through the second round.

All the prognosticators talk of how the B1G was down this year, I kind of took with a grain of salt. But now obviously they were pretty much right.

After watching a few NCAA games, it was pretty apparent there are lots of pretty good teams out there, besides the B1G.  BIG teams this year, were pretty much in the mid-lower half of the spectrum.

Some of the regular season BIG teams were not good at all, after seeing teams from all over.   

We have to win, win, win to not only get better as a team, because there is a long way to go,  to be competitive nationally. We need more talent...can't have 3 or 4 at a higher level.....need at least double that number. Coach is starting to move us up, but after seeing the tourney....she made need another year or two, ...or three.  To get the talent. 

Yes, there's still a huge talent cap nationally, to the Texas, UConn level teams.

Edited by redsteve

Texas is looking pretty competitive in both sports.

What little I've seen of the WBB Tourney is sobering.   It seems like Texas did pretty much to Arizona State what Arizona State did to us.  But Coach Amy Williams built a (NIT) winner in South Dakota, and she has shown she can coach and recruit well at the P-5 level.  She seems to have a good approach to attracting quality recruits and getting them to buy-in to her program.  We will just have to wait and see what happens in the future.

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Texas is looking pretty competitive in both sports.

What little I've seen of the WBB Tourney is sobering.   It seems like Texas did pretty much to Arizona State what Arizona State did to us.  But Coach Amy Williams built a (NIT) winner in South Dakota, and she has shown she can coach and recruit well at the P-5 level.  She seems to have a good approach to attracting quality recruits and getting them to buy-in to her program.  We will just have to wait and see what happens in the future.

Agree.  We will need some patience to see how our program progresses.  It's easy for us to compare to others nationally when NU wins over 20 games.  But of course coach W and co.  have just finished their 2nd season.  ^_^

5 hours ago, huskerchode said:

B1G is a major VB conference - has that hurt WBB?  If so, how?  Is it possible to be a big-time nationally competitive conference in both those women's sports? 

pac12 has very competitive teams in both sports. I don't see why vb being good should do anything but help. 

https://www.thelantern.com/2018/03/womens-basketball-sierra-calhoun-and-makayla-waterman-to-return-to-ohio-state-in-2018-19-with-wildly-different-team/

"If Ohio State does not add any transfers or recruits for next season and Chelsea Mitchell returns, it will have just 10 players. And without Kelsey Mitchell, Mavunga, Doss, Harper and Hart, the Buckeyes might be in for a tough rebuilding year."

Edited by whoopdeedoo