Creighton?

Since I'm now relegated to taking pleasure in others misery I had to smile as the Bluejays turned in another gutless 1st round performance. I must admit though, I really felt for the Creighton fans while Marcus Foster wept on the bench in what will be his last game... *just kidding*

7 minutes ago, nustudent said:

There was never any doubt on the top 4 of the Big 10.   It was what came after

And those teams never got the chance to really prove themselves outside of the conference in March.  No, I don't count the NIT as proving yourself.  You're as likely to be pissed that you got snubbed and not show up as you are to be pissed and play hard.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

And those teams never got the chance to really prove themselves outside of the conference in March.  No, I don't count the NIT as proving yourself.  You're as likely to be pissed that you got snubbed and not show up as you are to be pissed and play hard.

Those teams fell flat on their face outside the conference in November which led to the lack of opportunities in March.   

More than anything...Maryland losing Jackson and Minnesota's raping and injuries killed the middle of the conference.

8 hours ago, REDZONEDAN said:

The day just got even better knowing that Creighton fans are even more pissed knowing they could have had the chance to play a #16 seed to get to the Sweet 16. Thank you God!

What is the scientific medical term for having an irrational hatred of Creighton men's basketball?

That's a trick question.  Hatred of Creighton men's basketball is never irrational.

The Retrievers of UMBC taking down top seeded Virginia was certainly inspiring and historic and all the post-game talking heads were quick to get caught up in the moment. Was it the biggest upset in Tournament history, yes. Biggest in College basketball? No, that's still Chaminade over Ralph Sampson & Virginia. No one on this years Cav's roster is even close to Sampson. Someone even said the win was bigger than the "Miracle on Ice", that doesn't even warrant a response. Everything happening NOW isn't automatically bigger and better than what has come before...

58 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

The Retrievers of UMBC taking down top seeded Virginia was certainly inspiring and historic and all the post-game talking heads were quick to get caught up in the moment. Was it the biggest upset in Tournament history, yes. Biggest in College basketball? No, that's still Chaminade over Ralph Sampson & Virginia. No one on this years Cav's roster is even close to Sampson. Someone even said the win was bigger than the "Miracle on Ice", that doesn't even warrant a response. Everything happening NOW isn't automatically bigger and better than what has come before...

It’s not automatically bigger, you’re right. I do think stage and seeding need to be taken into account, though. And for me, that puts it in the conversation. 

My last comment was more on Society in general than specifically sports. A lot of people think LeBron James is the greatest player of All-time because he's playing NOW. He's as much a product of his time as he is his talent. When Magic scored 42 to win the 1980 NBA title, that game was broadcast at 10:30 tape-delayed after the local news. That's unthinkable now. What UMBC did is certainly an ALL-TIMER, but it's important to keep things in a proper historical context.

;

I was lucky enough to get some free tickets to the Charlotte evening session for Friday.

Very pleased to witness the bleubirds drop a big blue turd.  They looked like absolute crap. :lol:  KSU hounded Foster the entire game and denied him the ball and the McDermott brain trust really didn't try to do anything until about 3 minutes left to get him the ball.  I think he finished with 5 points and 60% of that came on a meaningless 3 with about 2 minutes.  The entire game he just floated around the 3 point line from the corner to the wing and the KSU guy just stuck on him wherever he went.  I don't recall him ever cutting across the lane or to the basket.  Just poor preparation/coaching after seeing how KSU intended to limit his impact on the game.  I think Thomas only had 7 points, as well.  I just don't totally understand how Nebraska can keep losing to them - they just aren't that good.

To top it off, I got to witness the first 16-1 upset in history!  It was awesome in the 2nd half as the crowd support for UMBC grew with almost every possession.  Virginia fans literally did not have a single thing to cheer about the entire game.  I don't know what was wrong with them, but they sure got easily rattled.  UMBC, which must have given up about 4-5 inches per position across the board, totally shut down Virginia's offense and boxed out/rebounded with a passion that I wish Nebraska could figure out.  In the end, UMBC absolutely dominated every phase of the game and if KSU plays like they did in their first game and UMBC can even approach how they played, I could easily see a 16 in the Sweet 16.

P.S.  Bonus point for having Texass lose also.

Creighton apologist Tom Shatel tried to explain away their 1st round flop on Friday, dragging out a lot of familiar old saws, citing injuries (of course) a lack of toughness and an inability to take their unbeatable "brand" of basketball on the road. He then took a parting shot at the Big Red stating that a team like UMBC wouldn't spend time worrying about their seed in the NIT. 

Edited by Handy Johnson

Creighton was clueless on how to attack KSU.   Bruce Weber is a good coach and the Wildcats will be ready for UMBC.  Remember, Dean Wade did not play against Creighton.  McDermott, and Miles, both need to some deep self analysis of their coaching and game adjustments.  By the way MSU is currently handling Baylor In Waco.