Ominous Tweet Re: Roster Attrition

Just now, hhcdimes said:

I'd say the only curveball is that guys can still declare between April 11-29.

As an example Glynn Watson hasn't declared at all. On April 20th he could just say I'm declaring for the NBA draft.

This is obviously an unlikely scenario as Walt P is no longer in the program.

If he did that, according to the link posted above and the quotes taken from that link, Glynn would lose any remaining eligibility. Period.  He could not withdraw at a later date.

"However, if underclassmen declare between April 11-29, they will relinquish any remaining college eligibility."

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he did that, according to the link posted above and the quotes taken from that link, Glynn would lose any remaining eligibility. Period.  He could not withdraw at a later date.

"However, if underclassmen declare between April 11-29, they will relinquish any remaining college eligibility."

Yes, that is correct.

What should happen is that Cope or Palmer will decide by April 10th whether or not to withdraw.

Someone else on the roster could go nuts and just declare during the period between April 11-29th. Extremely unlikely for us but I could see it happening for some guys who are fringe NBA players they see an opportunity with the guys who have declared or whatever.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't know how you could get more definitive than the link to the NCAA website posted by Huskerpapa upthread:  http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

"Basketball student-athletes may enter a professional league’s draft once during their college career without jeopardizing their eligibility as long as they are not drafted by a professional team and as long as they declare their intention to resume playing for their college team before the first day of the spring signing period, typically in April.

This year, men's basketball student-athletes wishing to retain their eligibility must withdraw from the NBA draft by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, April 10. This applies only to underclassmen who already have declared for the draft."

So, if Palmer or Copeland are out there thinking they have until May 30, someone might want to get ahold of them in the next five or six days and let them know the deadline is coming a lot sooner than that.

I was actually looking for a link like that but nothing came up in my google search. Wish I'd know about the aforementioned post before I made mine...

45 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Draft combine ends May 20th. Add 10 days. That's where you get May 30th.

I don't know the answer, but that tweet is more than 2 years old and the link to the ncaa website says it's a new rule to allow coaches an opportunity to recruit replacements for players who choose to leave early.  So, I don't know, could be May 30 for all I know, but I'd want a serious explanation for how the website is wrong before I rely on anything.

Not only that, but the dates line up with 2018.  The link doesn't show the date it was last updated, but the spring signing period begins April 11, 2018, and the ncaa website says the deadline to withdraw is before midnight on April 10, which would be the day before the spring signing period.

I hope Shamus is right.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't know the answer, but that tweet is more than 2 years old and the link to the ncaa website says it's a new rule to allow coaches an opportunity to recruit replacements for players who choose to leave early.  So, I don't know, could be May 30 for all I know, but I'd want a serious explanation for how the website is wrong before I rely on anything.

Not only that, but the dates line up with 2018.  The link doesn't show the date it was last updated, but the spring signing period begins April 11, 2018, and the ncaa website says the deadline to withdraw is before midnight on April 10, which would be the day before the spring signing period.

I hope Shamus is right.

I just checked. The verbiage of that site is 4 years old. https://web.archive.org/web/20140127133225/http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

You would think the NCAA would use its barrels of gold to hire someone to go through and update their site.

:ph34r:  It would seem the April 10th date would negate the purpose of so many underclassmen declaring for the draft.  I thought the principal advantages of doing so were to 'test the water' so to speak and for a player to get an outside evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of his game.   If players must withdraw by April 10th, it doesn't seem like there would be time for any of this to occur.