Ominous Tweet Re: Roster Attrition

7 minutes ago, reddan said:

What does a guy like Cope make playing overseas,  any guess?

I've been wondering this samee thing. If he is evaluated and told the NBA is not likely (and I don't think it is). What would it take? Degree in hand I say 100k and go and make the most of it. Get 4-5 years at that pay, at minimum, and he's given himself a nice head start. Or come back make an epic run deep into the tourney next year and be a legend, but no pressure ?

From the LA Times:

The new two-way contract allows NBA teams to expand rosters from 15 to 17 players if they choose to give two-way contracts on a player with four years of experience or fewer. The players spend a majority of the season in the G League and up to 45 days with the NBA franchise. They are guaranteed a $75,000 salary but can make up to $275,000 because pay corresponds to which league they are playing in.

Cope is better off coming back than playing for less than $100,000 over seas. After taxes and living expenses, thats not much money to bank in Europe. Also, isn't there a new CBA that ties into the G league a little more as far as pay and expanded rosters? If so.....Your better off staying a another year to be on the ground floor of that. I was thinking that's why the NBA is seriously considering getting rid of 1 and done rule. Why not stash these HS kids on an expanded roster for a year or 2 and bring them up if they are needed. I have seen plenty 1 and done kids and I don't believe college is any better for them than a true minor league based on development. Most of these kids are better off being humbled than worshipped

Edited by DOATHLON

Cope is better off coming back than playing for less than $100,000 over seas. After taxes and living expenses, thats not much money to bank in Europe. Also, isn't there a new CBA that ties into the G league a little more as far as pay and expanded rosters? If so.....Your better off staying a another year to be on the ground floor of that. I was thinking that's why the NBA is seriously considering getting rid of 1 and done rule. Why not stash these HS kids on an expanded roster for a year or 2 and bring them up if they are needed. I have seen plenty 1 and done kids and I don't believe college is any better for them than a true minor league based on development. Most of these kids are better off being humbled than worshipped
For whatever it's worth, many European leagues cover housing and other living expenses, and the actual cash is somehow tax-free (no idea how that works, just what I've been told). Not saying that it is or isn't worth going over there, and we're obviously not talking vast millions that playing for two years would set him up for life or anything like that... but guys can make a decent living for a few years in one of the better leagues that'd take care of them for another few years after they're done, if they're smart with their money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don’t forget free publicity, a main thing one  and dones get to do is create an image or any prospect that leaves early for that matter. The G-league will do none of that not to mention the lack of development you will currently receive in the G-league. You would have to be a pretty rabid fan to even get G-league games on tv to boot 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, DOATHLON said:

I want Copeland to come back but I have a hard time buying this.  If Copeland is realistic, his chances of being drafted even if he comes back are probably slim.  For a guy who has had issues with injuries and will be what...24 next year, it's probably time for him to get his pro career started.  I hope he sees it differently but I will be shocked if he decides to not turn pro. 

OK, this is a legitimate question. The LJS has now stated on two occasions that Palmer and Copeland have until May 20 to make up their minds and be able to return. Posters here have said that April 10 is the deadline. Will someone who knows please give us the definitive answer?

14 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

OK, this is a legitimate question. The LJS has now stated on two occasions that Palmer and Copeland have until May 20 to make up their minds and be able to return. Posters here have said that April 10 is the deadline. Will someone who knows please give us the definitive answer?

None of the above. NCAA moved it to 10 days after the combine, which takes place from May 16-20, so that would make the deadline May 30. The NBA deadline to withdraw is June 11.

Edited by uneblinstu

I will accept this as the definitive answer unless someone can prove otherwise. This deadline, however, pushes it into the AWIII category which makes it difficult to finalize recruiting goals for next year I would think. Someone should call the LJS and tell them they are publishing the wrong date.

2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I will accept this as the definitive answer unless someone can prove otherwise. This deadline, however, pushes it into the AWIII category which makes it difficult to finalize recruiting goals for next year I would think. Someone should call the LJS and tell them they are publishing the wrong date.

Jimmy, since you are retired, I nominate you to be that "someone".   :)

46 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I don't know how you could get more definitive than the link to the NCAA website posted by Huskerpapa upthread:  http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

"Basketball student-athletes may enter a professional league’s draft once during their college career without jeopardizing their eligibility as long as they are not drafted by a professional team and as long as they declare their intention to resume playing for their college team before the first day of the spring signing period, typically in April.

This year, men's basketball student-athletes wishing to retain their eligibility must withdraw from the NBA draft by 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, April 10. This applies only to underclassmen who already have declared for the draft."

So, if Palmer or Copeland are out there thinking they have until May 30, someone might want to get ahold of them in the next five or six days and let them know the deadline is coming a lot sooner than that.

Edited by Norm Peterson

More:

"The NBA’s deadline for student-athletes to enter the draft is April 29. However, if underclassmen declare between April 11-29, they will relinquish any remaining college eligibility.

This timeline is due to a rule adopted by NCAA member schools in 2011. The rule change is designed to help student-athletes make a decision earlier than in the past to focus on either academics or athletics and also give coaches more flexibility with roster-planning and recruiting."

Edited by Norm Peterson

43 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

This stuff doesn't seem very ambiguous to me.  Not sure where people are coming up with any other date than April 10.

I'd say the only curveball is that guys can still declare between April 11-29.

As an example Glynn Watson hasn't declared at all. On April 20th he could just say I'm declaring for the NBA draft.

This is obviously an unlikely scenario as Walt P is no longer in the program.