Ominous Tweet Re: Roster Attrition

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

What is your definition of a difference maker? Just curious.

A hall-of-fame sort of hire.  Not many out there, and not many would choose Nebraska.  But heck, there are a lot of Husker fans who believe every coach out there is standing in line to move to Lincoln.

52 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

A hall-of-fame sort of hire.  Not many out there, and not many would choose Nebraska.  But heck, there are a lot of Husker fans who believe every coach out there is standing in line to move to Lincoln.

We are not getting a HoF coach but that doesn't mean we can't get a quality coach.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:10 AM, HuskerActuary said:

Kind of. This article has some details on that and some speculation on what happens.

http://kwsn.com/news/articles/2018/mar/21/zimmer-daum-likely-to-return-to-sdsu-but-dont-rule-out-nba/

I’ve heard it’s more than a good possibility that he ends up at Creighton. He will fit in with McDermott well. His defense is obviously lackluster but he’s one of the best offensive players in the country and has proven he can play with the big boys. 

27 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Thanks 49r.  The Copeland and Palmer choice makes perfect sense to me.  Good for them...and hopefully they will be back.

Is there any parameters on who can and who can't go thru the NBA evaluation process?  If not, I don't understand why Roby or even Glynn wouldn't throw their hat in the ring. 

I'm totally in favor Copeland and Palmer going to test the waters. I'm hoping the intent is to come back to Nebraska if they come back to college basketball. Will be interesting to see how we approach recruiting. I'm hoping Miles and the staff are in better communication with these guys than in recent years

17 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Is there any parameters on who can and who can't go thru the NBA evaluation process?  If not, I don't understand why Roby or even Glynn wouldn't throw their hat in the ring. 

Watson I can understand why he would try.

Roby, though, if I am not mistaken may want to wait.   I believe you can only go through the process once.   As a sophomore, if you submit your name, you can come back...but then you can't do that again as a junior.   I believe you only have a one time chance to test the waters.   

Usually the coaches know most or all roster attrition issues after spring break in hoops. Usually. (Andrew White was a different deal.) 

Over the years:

Fuller - March 13

Horne - March 15

J. Shepard (women) - March 27

Hammond - March 29

Morrow - March 30

T. Smith - March 31

Hawkins, Vucetic - April 2

Jacobson - April 10

Evelyn - April 12 

1 hour ago, swmckewon said:

Usually the coaches know most or all roster attrition issues after spring break in hoops. Usually. (Andrew White was a different deal.) 

Over the years:

Fuller - March 13

Horne - March 15

J. Shepard (women) - March 27

Hammond - March 29

Morrow - March 30

T. Smith - March 31

Hawkins, Vucetic - April 2

Jacobson - April 10

Evelyn - April 12 

yep go home have your buddies and family tell you that they are screwing you and you knew that anyway, come back ready to move on.

23 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

yep go home have your buddies and family tell you that they are screwing you and you knew that anyway, come back ready to move on.

I dunno. Most of those guys transferred to mid-major or low-major programs more suited to their level of play. 

Hammond, for example, is a nice DII center who averaged 8 and 6 this season. Big Ten was too big a stage. 

I'm intrigued to see Morrow and Jacobson next season for Marquette and Iowa State tho. 

7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet, but here's McVeigh's latest podcast episode where he talks about.his decision to move on:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/421214622-jemcveigh9-the-jack-mctrey-podcast-ep5.m4a

He recorded this in California on Tuesday. Is he not finishing the semester and thus putting a dent in our APR? 

39 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

He recorded this in California on Tuesday. Is he not finishing the semester and thus putting a dent in our APR? 

Yes, it would dent our APR: https://informedathlete.com/how-gpa-affects-di-student-athlete-transfers/

However, I do not think it is a matter of concern.  Unless some of these transfers have GPAs below 2.6, the transfers should have no affect on Nebraska's APR.  To my knowledge, most of the transfers went to four year schools or were graduate transfers.  

The concern about jack is not as a transfer but as leaving for a professional team without finishing the semester.

This is from Wiki and is dated (so take it for what it's worth):

On men's basketball

The APR's flaws are highlighted in men's basketball. "Syracuse's Jim Boeheim suffered the two-scholarship hit last summer, and in doing so publicly upbraided the APR for taking into account the departures of Eric Devendorf, Jonny Flynn and Paul Harris for the NBA draft, all three of whom left campus to prepare for the NBA event without fulfilling their spring semester requirements."[16] Many college basketball players leave before they graduate, and the ones that leave in bad academic standing cause the APR to go down. This issue is seen throughout college basketball.

To exemplify this phenomenon for collegiate basketball, if the 930 postseason ban had been in effect for the 2011-12 season then 99 teams would have received postseason bans.[15]

Edited by Swan88

2 hours ago, swmckewon said:

I dunno. Most of those guys transferred to mid-major or low-major programs more suited to their level of play. 

Hammond, for example, is a nice DII center who averaged 8 and 6 this season. Big Ten was too big a stage. 

I'm intrigued to see Morrow and Jacobson next season for Marquette and Iowa State tho. 

Im agreeing with you.  It usually after you have "back home"  because those people are going to tell you what you want to hear... most of the time.

1 hour ago, Donkey said:

Yes, it would dent our APR: https://informedathlete.com/how-gpa-affects-di-student-athlete-transfers/

However, I do not think it is a matter of concern.  Unless some of these transfers have GPAs below 2.6, the transfers should have no affect on Nebraska's APR.  To my knowledge, most of the transfers went to four year schools or were graduate transfers.  

Jack isn't transferring

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Good listen.  Talks about the downs of not getting much of a chance to play this season and Ali leaving.  He deserves a lot of credit for not burning bridges this year and making the most of the bench mob and scout team.  Really respect him making the best of not the greatest situation for him minutes wise this year.

Edited by 1sdpad2

10 minutes ago, 1sdpad2 said:

Good listen.  Talks about the downs of not getting much of a chance to play this season and Ali leaving.  He deserves a lot of credit for not burning bridges this year and making the most of the bench mob and scout team.  Really respect him making the best of not the best situation for him this year.

Yeah.  Particularly impressive is his positive spin on his bench role:  on the scout team, he became “the guy” and shouldered a heavy load in the go-to role, which he would never have experienced with playing time.  He’s a “things happen for a reason” guy.  He comes across as a high character person you’d always want to have on your team.

Edited by Swan88