Non-con schedule next year

huskerchode

Who would you like to see us schedule non-con next season?  If we had had a bit tougher non-con, we may not have needed to sweat it out so much during the selection show.  At the same time, we needed those easier games to build confidence in our young players this season.  Next season is a different story, though.  I think we can schedule a couple of tougher teams early on to get our RPI and SOS a bit stronger.  Would be nice to schedule some teams that we also stand a decent chance of beating.

I've always wondered about Stanford.  Sometimes it seems Stanford starts slow but then rallies at the end of the year.  Not sure how we match up, but I'd like to think it would be a good game and it's a team we have rarely played (have we ever played?).  How about an Ivy League school?  Not sure why I'm stuck on the smart schools right now but I am.

There are some solid mid-major schools out there that might be worth scheduling.  I think we played South Dakota State a few times several years ago, and there are usually the team to beat in the Summit League.  Coach is certainly familiar with them.

Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, HUD said:

Buffalo, Drake and Creighton were OK this year but the trouble was we only beat one of them.  I would like Oklahoma on the schedule which should make Bugeaters and Cazzie happy especially if it was a home game for us.

Is it a bit of a fluke that all of those teams got in the tourney this year?  I wouldn't want to play all 3 next year because I'm betting most of the time only one of them gets in the tourney.  I may be very wrong about that, feel free to correct me. 

We had some decent teams in the non conference, but we lost to some, and some that weren't that strong as we found out as the season went on...Wash St come to mind.  I would have liked to play Creighton again....

but we weren't the same team in the early season.....we couldn't have been competitive with substantially better teams then, by having them on the schedule. Next year it could be a different story....but don't forget we'll have 4 new rookies to get in the flow, that more than likely will be factors as the season goes on. (recall how Hannah and the freshman group looked in their first few games last season?) We had lot's of stuff to fix.

If we had a couple of those losses back this year...it wouldn't have been that much of a "hold your breath" deal, when tourney times comes around. 

Obviously....There' doesn't seem to be any real mystery. Got to win every possible game you can. It's better for Mr Creme if we beat everyone, the better they are the better it is for us.

Edited by redsteve

I think having Creighton every year would be good.  Kind of a rivalry game.  K state would be good as well since we seem to recruit Kansas relatively hard.  We will still have the ACC challenge game which hopefully will give us a better team to play then Clemson.  Northern Colorado would be another good one.

As for the freshmen I think they will hit the ground running.  Especially A. Veerbeek.  I think she will contribute early.  She is tough as nails.  When you are a 4 star ESPN recruit rated at 95 you are expected to get a fast start.  We will need for at least one of the guard recruits to play a lot early since we are graduating 3 at that position.

I actually don't really care to play Creighton every year.  Not sure a win is much of a gain for us and a loss certainly hurts.  But I imagine with it being an in-state rivalry we will always have them on the schedule.  Unless one of the schools has an issue with Yori advising Creighton and not wanting to cause some sort of weird athletic department issue by playing against her former employer. 

Regarding scheduling, I believe we should keep recruiting in mind by casting a wide net (not that we aren't already  ;)).  With a high-profile player from the East Coast (Kate Cain) choosing Nebraska last year, and another East Coaster committing for 2019, this is a recruiting region we shouldn't be ignoring.

Stanford and Tennessee always play Texas.  We do have Arkansas from the SEC and no need to schedule an ACC team.   Maybe Gonzaga out west and an LA area school other than SC or UCLA.   Play Texas Tech, they are really down but it’s a Power Conference game.

5 hours ago, 12dozen said:

I like scheduling Creighton every year. Can't imagine it did anything but help our strength of schedule this year, both being tournament teams.  And if John Cook thinks the series can help promote his sport in the area, wouldn't it do the same for women's basketball?

Creighton, I can take or leave.  We can schedule lots of other teams in the region. With Yori planning strategy for them, Creighton may turn into the beast of the Big East.

i wouldn't mind a marquette, depaul or green bay. i think borseth from green bay is one of the best mid-major coaches you will find. i don't think his heart was really in it when he went to michigan for a couple of years (or so?). as stated above, i also think gonzaga would be another formidable mid-major. all those schools usually have pretty decent rpi's. 

maybe a louisville or missouri. 

17 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i wouldn't mind a marquette, depaul or green bay. i think borseth from green bay is one of the best mid-major coaches you will find. i don't think his heart was really in it when he went to michigan for a couple of years (or so?). as stated above, i also think gonzaga would be another formidable mid-major. all those schools usually have pretty decent rpi's. 

maybe a louisville or missouri. 

i heard the announcers mention borseth was at michigan for 5 years. sure didn't seem that long.